Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: Voting in Round 2--Please Read

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

:caution: Voting in Round 2--Please Read

Hey everyone!

Thanks so much to everyone who participated in our voting for Round 1 of the Constant Reader Awards. From the original list of sixty, we have narrowed it down to thirty books that will now be graded in Round 2.

The voting is a bit different in this round, so I wanted to break it down for everyone so that we have minimal confusion.

In Round 2 we will grading each book in three different areas. These are Strength of Plot, Character Development, and Quality of the Story's Ending. The collections and non-fiction works that are graded in this round will be graded under areas more applicable to the medium. The voting basics are the same for all of the books, though.

Since there are three different areas to be voted in this time, these polls will allow voters to select more than one option. This is tricky, though, because it does allow some room for user error. It is imperative that voters choose only one grade (A, B, or C) for each area being graded. Please see the example below:

This is an example of a valid "ballot". The voter chose to give the book a "B" in Strength of Plot, an "A" in Character Development, and a "C" in Quality of Ending. One from each area. Now if the voter chose instead to give it "A"s in all three areas, that will also be valid. The letter grades given do not matter, only that there is just one for each area.

Here are two examples of incorrect/invalid ballots:

In the first example, we see that the voter selected both "A" and "B" in the Strength of Plot area, and did the same in the Quality of Ending area. Since there is no way of discerning what the voter's intended vote was, the ballot is invalid and none of the voter's votes will count.

The second example there is an illustration of someone who is just trying to piss me off. You'll notice that all ten fields are selected, and we obviously wouldn't count any of this person's votes.

If you select more than one grade in an area by mistake, we can make a correction for you, but want to keep this to a bare minimum, as it is time-consuming. If this does occur, please PM me with your correct votes and I'll take care of it.

The letter grades in this round correspond with numeric values that will be averaged, in the same way that they were for Round 1. When the average score for each grading area is compiled, those scores will then be averaged to give the book an overall average grade. These grades will be added to the scores each book earned in Round 1.

Once all books have been graded and their Round 2 score has been added in, the top 10 scoring books will move on to Round 3, the Face-Off Round.

Feel free to discuss this or ask questions in this thread, and thanks again to everyone for your participation.
    Heng Dai

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I love the idea that we are grading this time on much more than "did you like the story"...It worked great to weed out the 2nd round but more depth is so cool.

I really feel like this process is going to be a good fan representation of what they think King's best work is.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Thanks for being such a dork Aaron. This looks very cool.

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am glad that you like it. Trying to figure out a way to make it work was a pain in the ass.

I just hope we have minimal issues with the voting process.
    Heng Dai

And if not, perhaps you will achieve accurate polling data on how many people can follow instructions.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

thought it might be a bit difficult when we're grading short stories. How do you grade a collection if you loved most stories but one just sucked?

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    thought it might be a bit difficult when we're grading short stories. How do you grade a collection if you loved most stories but one just sucked?
    You could do it the academic way. Calculate the percentage of good to bad and 90% = A, 80% = B, etc. Or you could do a series of coin flips. Either way, there's some math involved.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice, Aaron. This is really cool.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

good point

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

[Posting from vacation in Florida]

Amazing layout, Aaron. Bravo! This is so scientific it makes my head hurt

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hu-Rah! Good job Aaron!
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Aaron. Well done. I am liking this a lot. Thanks for your efforts.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand