Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which is the Best Movie of All Time?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Empire Strikes Back

12 38.71%
  • The Shawshank Redemption

19 61.29%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BMOAT - FINAL!

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

But your not a big Star Wars fan Brice. Not to mention, you haven't looked at the effect on films that Star Wars and Empire had with regards to their special effects.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, I've looked at it. I just don't feel it matters that much. Aesthetic is god in these types of contests for me. And I don't think I ever said I didn't like them. I actually liked this one okay. It just isn't that great IMO...or at least there are ALOT of much greater films.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Like I said, you're not a Star Wars fan. No Star Wars fan could say that "there are ALOT of much greater films". You just have to trust me on that one dude. Let me ask you though, what is YOUR number 1, favorite film of all the films you have seen. Mine is Seven Samurai, hands down and no question.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd have to think a bit on which was singularly my favorite.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Now I'd be curious to know what everyone would list for the their picks for "best movie of all time" since a lot of people wouldn't put these two up here, yet somehow they're the ones that made it on. I might make a thread if no one's opposed. I know there's the 50 favorite movies thread, but I know personally my top films for best movie would not necessarily be my all time favorites.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm starting a new thread already. Check it out, but it's going to take some thinking.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ead.php?t=6748

Citizen of Gilead SpaceMaN has a spectacular aura about SpaceMaN has a spectacular aura about SpaceMaN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Am I the only one who thinks the Star Wars movies sucked? All of them? And I'm SpaceMaN!

Shawshank is a great movie of hope and truth and yes, redemption. Just so happens that it is my favorite movie of all time, followed closely by Aladdin, (yes, that Aladdin), Blazing Saddles, See No Evil Hear No Evil, The 40-Year-Old Virgin, etc., mostly comedies, as is my taste.

What I'm wondering is why all the old school movies aren't considered BMOAT, i.e., Casablanca, Gone With The Wind, Citizen Kane, etc....
    "I wish they'd just wipe out humanity and get it over with. It's the waiting I can't stand." -Fry
    "I know we can't all stay here forever, so I want to write my words on the face of today." -Blind Melon

Country
    Country Flag

Some of those very titles were in the original vote, but didn't advance.

And no, you're not the only one who disliked Star Wars. Now if I could get your name and address so you can be eliminated from the gene pool. We don't need those genes floating around as they are obviously defective, as evidenced by your dislike of one of the greatest films in the world.

Citizen of Gilead SpaceMaN has a spectacular aura about SpaceMaN has a spectacular aura about SpaceMaN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ah.

I got nothing against the Star Wars films, I just didn't like the cheesy effects and how everyone made a huge deal about them, and I know people will probably hate me, and have every right to, but I'd rather watch grass grow than a Star Wars film. As for my genes, don't worry about those spreading, they have a process that prevents that.
    "I wish they'd just wipe out humanity and get it over with. It's the waiting I can't stand." -Fry
    "I know we can't all stay here forever, so I want to write my words on the face of today." -Blind Melon

Country
    Country Flag

What you must remember with regard to the special effects is how much the Star Wars films advanced effects. Nearly everything they did had never been done before and didn't have any way of being done. The effects guys literally had to invent the way they created the effects. You should watch some of the older science fiction films to get an appreciation for what Star Wars did for the film world. Add to that the marketing aspect, which was virtually nonexistent and it was a HUGE influence on the world we live in now. The "cheesy" effects that you mention were leaps and bounds beyond anything that had been done at that time.

I read something not long ago that rings true. If it was invented after you were born, it is technology; if it was invented before your birth, it's always been there as far as you're concerned. People today look at Star Wars and other groundbreaking films and say "looks like not much" because they grew up with those films being on video and have seen so much more come along that is built on the shoulders of the groundbreaking films. Those films are their barometer for advances, not the groundbreakers.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Tight race so far...

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Empire Strikes Back isn't even my favorite Star Wars movie so it can't get my vote for best movie of all time.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Unfortunately, I won't be voting in the final round. I just don't feel either film is deserving of the BMOAT title.

Star Wars is a great trilogy and Empire is the best of the bunch, but The Lord of the Rings trilogy pretty much destroys it in every category. IMO of course.

I love Shawshank, but it really shouldn't even sniff the top 50 of most lists such as these. I'm not even sure it's the best film adapted from King's material.

Well, it was fun anyway. Great Job Feev running the thread. I know it must not have been easy, but you did a real nice job.

*starts the slow crowd clap used in most films*

Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm surprised that it came down to these two movies. I voted for Shawshank. It is in my own personal top five movies of all time so good on ya!

Thanks feev for setting this up and seeing it to the finish. Good f'n times for sures!

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Yeah, thanks Feev for putting this all together.

Sam, I hear you. I'm surprised by the Star Wars haters myself. The irony is that I was born in 82 and am still impressed with Empire in comparison to modern special effects. Might elaborate more on that later or might not. It would probably fall on deaf ears in this thread.

Anyways, I'm glad it came down to these two.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

feevie, feevie, he's our man!

*flashes fp*
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

You guys

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Feev is the man. Very nice work on seeing all of this through!

Regardless of my feelings on the results, the process itself has been a lot of fun, especially all the debate about what makes for a "best" movie. It's always fun to try to objectify the subjective.

Thanks to everyone who participated and if anyone still hasn't voted in the final, what the hell are you waiting for?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

*Bump!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Shawshank is not my BMOAT, but I have no problem with it winning this contest. Since this is not my personal list, and noone elses for that matter. It is what a vote is all about. Everyone voted for their favorite movie, but not everyones movie can win. Its all very personal anyway. What I think is awesome, others might think is trash and vice versa. No biggy.

Citizen of Gilead jemaher will become famous soon enough jemaher will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    http://www.empireonline.com/500/96.asp

Look at numbers 3 and 4.

this just reinforces the reason to stratify by time period. too many excellent pre 1960 movies get shortchanged because they came to the theatre before the voters were born and too many mediocre post 1980 schlock is given undue weight.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

That list is compromised of movies from all time periods, check it out.

Besides, as someone pointed out in the main BMOAT page - It wouldn't be the best movie of all time if we did it by decades, right?

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here's the current top 10 from imdb.com's list, the only poll I know of that's perpetually ongoing:

1. The Shawshank Redemption
    2. The Godfather
    3. The Godfather: Part II
    4. Buono, il brutto, il cattivo., Il (The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly)
    5. The Dark Knight
    6. Pulp Fiction
    7. Schindler's List
    8. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    9. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
    10. 12 Angry Men

and look, what's that waaaay down there? I can barely make it out!

169. The Princess Bride

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Glad to see TDK getting recognition across several different movie boards.

P.S - The poll closes tomorrow!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'm going to be sad when this is all over. Despite me not agreeing with how it turned out, it was alot of fun.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast