Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 226 of 430 FirstFirst ... 126 176 216 224 225 226 227 228 236 276 326 ... LastLast
Results 5,626 to 5,650 of 10742

Thread: Introduce yourself

Traveler Reluctant Reader is on a distinguished road Reluctant Reader's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    Hello!
    HI!

Quote Originally Posted by sarah
    I'm noticing that most of all the new sign ups are people I don't know. I say we introduce ourselves a bit here before the big launch.

answer any or all and add your own questions.
    Awesome! Will do.

How did you discover the Dark Tower?

Many moons ago, I hired a new chef at a restaurant I worked at. He was/is a drummer and I was/am a bass player; "meant to be" you might say. He hounded me for months to "come over and jam". One day I did, and it we clicked immediately; totally solid backbeat from the 1. Then he started hounding me to read The Gunslinger, eventually giving me his own copy. It sat on a shelf for at least a year (he asked everyday if I'd begun reading it) before I actually picked it up. Not being much for books, it took me about a week to finish it, but that is saying a lot. The 'experience' was just as he'd described it - "You won't be able to put it down until you're done and when you get to that point, you'll be at my door in a minute to get the next book." Drawing of the Three and Wastelands are still like one book to me - I had them read before the summer was done and they were probably the biggest books I'd ever finished at that point of my life, so I was feeling pretty good and quite enveloped in the story of Roland and the strange world he lived in. Then I had to wait - my friend was not done reading Wizard and Glass, so I couldn't borrow it, and despite this story birthing a new found love for reading, I wasn't a changed man to the point that I went out and bought my own copy. When I got the 4th book, I knew the 5th (and on) were not written yet, so I savored every word, reading painstakingly slow, trying to pace my progress so I might finish around the time Wolves of the Calla came out - flawless execution on my part if I do say myself. Wolves was the first book of the Dark Tower series I purchased, but for some reason I couldn't delve into immediately. It sat on a shelf for a year or so. Looking back, I didn't want to start Wizard and Glass because I didn't want the history of Roland - I wanted to continue on the journey of Roland, Eddie, Susannah, Jake and Oy. Oddly enough, by the end of Wizard and Glass, I didn't want to go back to the journey - I wanted more of Roland's history! When I heard Song of Susannah was immenent, that lit a fire under my butt and I cranked out Wolves. My life was a mess at the time and all of these strange parallels in The Dark Tower were "appearing" in my own life. While many people cautioned me about "reading into" fiction and giving it breath in my own life, several friends admitted that they experienced similar situations while reading the series. Looking back, I chalk it up as a lesson in "a man sees what he wants to see". Upon finishing Wolves, I purchased Song of Susannah and cranked it out, then the final book, The Dark Tower; cranked it. I actually finished the series before my friend who had not only sold me on it, but started it years before me. He said he didn't want to finish it; it was his favorite story and too important to come to an end. Having finally completed the series we finally we're able to engage in glorious conversations about how great it is and since enjoy referencing it in an "every day" manner with a few arguements about who should play what parts if it ever gets made into a movie (Oh, man I can't wait!!!! J.J. Abrams, don't fail us now, LOL.).

Who is your favorite charcter?Eddie. From his first scene, transformation, to his last scene, I related to him. Definitely, Eddie.

What is your favorite book?Wizard and Glass ... if I have to pick one.

How old are you?36

Where are you from?Madison, WI

Do you have a nickname?LOL - if you thought that 1st paragraph was long; ...let's just say I have a lot of nicknames.

Currently, I'm looking at a stack of Dark Tower comics and a list of Dark Tower related books that I have yet to even attempt to tackle, but the plan is to absorb all of those and then read the Dark Tower again. There has to be so much that I "missed" just from not having another reference point out of Stephen King's opus realm.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

That was a really great intro, welcome to the site Reluctant Reader.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Welcome new tower junkies.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Traveler Eoin is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Hey what's up? First post so here we go.

Well a while back or not that long ago at all depending on who's reading this, everythings relative I guess. I was buried in a copy of King Lear when I came across the Fool's quote you know the one "Childe Rowland to the Dark Tower came." So super sleuth that I am, intrigued, I followed the trail to Brownings poem and then to Mr. Kings masterpiece and ain't I happy that I did. Intrigued to begin with I quickly became enthralled. Damn they are good but you probably could have guessed that I liked them being as that Im here. I doubt many people join to complain. From there I read more King most especially Those directly connected to the Tower itself and that behind me here I am now.

Who is your favourite character?
    Hmmm a toughie Roland is magnificent but Eldred Jonas what a badass.

What is your favourite book?Wizards and Glass I guess. In terms of King's other works The Stand. Of all time now there's a hard one maybe Brave New World or something by Richard Brautigan or maybe not depends on my state of mind.

How old are you?21

Where are you from? Kerry, Ireland

Nicknames? Hell no.

Well there you go. It's a pleasure to be amongst diehard Tower junkies, see ye around.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Welcome to the site, Eoin!
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

A harty hello & Welcome (from this page)
    Ms Underwood
    Darktower Junkie
    The Dedication
    Reluctant reader
    and Eoin! It's a pleasure to meet you all.
    Y'all are so going to love it here, welcome to the fold.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Traveler Honkmafah is on a distinguished road Honkmafah's Avatar

Hello all, cool site.

I've always been a SK fan. Hands down my favorite author.

I tried to get into the DT series years ago and just couldn't. It was fantasy and I wasn't a fantasy minded kind of dude. A few years later, I started playing World of Warcraft and my metamorphosis into a card carrying nerd began. I soon came face to face with my closet curiosity of fantasy stories shortly thereafter and decided to give DT another try.

Although that said, I don't have much interest in fantasy novels outside of DT.

Who is your favorite charcter?

Cuthbert. I know Eddie is supposed to be a lot like Cuthbert, but ironically I can't stand Eddie (when he is attempting comedy) but Cuthbert cracks me up.

I didn't think I had any real feelings on Jake, but after he dies in book 7 I was a lot more upset than I would have thought I'd be.

What is your favorite book?

Wizard and Glass, though I haven't even finished Book 7 yet, so maybe it will turn out to be my favorite. Almost done with it. The Stand is my favorite SK book.

How old are you?

Where are you from?

From Dallas, Texas but have been living on the coast of North Carolina for about 10 years.

do you have a nickname?

Honkmafah

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

So many new W & G fans. Welcome, together we will overcome "the others".

Love your name Honkmafah.

Welcome all.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

welcome!!!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Country
    Country Flag

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Haven't we yet?

Welcome you all. You will have a really good time here.

Roland would have understood.

Citizen of Gilead Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hi All~

My first post here & actually the first time I've ever joined a forum. I'm just an old dog trying to learn new tricks.

Intro to Dark Tower?

I read Gunslinger when it first came out & spent YEARS waiting to finish the story. The wait seems to have been worth it.

Favorite Character?

I know it's not a DT character, but I loved Wolf.

Age?

55 (I think)

Favorite Book?

Seems to always be the last King book that I've read. For a long time it was the STAND, then I re-read Talisman, then re-read Gunslinger & it was top of the list, then Drawing of the Three..........I just can't seem to make up my mind.

Nicknames?

With the first name of Dick, I don't need any others.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Welcome new friends!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Traveler printz is on a distinguished road printz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hi everybody!!

Hearts in atlantis was the first king novel I read....then I started finding lots of references in other books on Middle world....I finally got to the Gunsliger and then it was too late to come back

Who is your favorite character?

Eddie, no doubt

What is your favorite book?

long walk

How old are you?

Where are you from?

Verona, Italy

do you have a nickname?

Printz

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Welcome Honkmahfa, Dolso, and printz.
    Interesting tales...come on in and enjoy the boards
    theres a little something for everybody here.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Reluctant Reader View Post
    How did you discover the Dark Tower?Many He was/is a drummer and I was/am a bass player; "meant to be" you might say. He hounded me for months to "come over and jam". One day I did, and it we clicked immediately; totally solid backbeat from the 1. Then he started hounding me to read The Gunslinger, eventually giving me his own copy.
    I helped my friend discover The Dark Tower in much the same way. I'm a bassist, as well, and my friend across the hall at college plays guitar. I convinced him to come over and jam one day, and he started asking me about The Gunslinger in between songs. He's hooked now. I think Stephen King just has a way of drawing musicians haha

Quote Originally Posted by Reluctant Reader View Post
    Who is your favorite charcter?Eddie. From his first scene, transformation, to his last scene, I related to him. Definitely, Eddie.
    You're a bassist, and you relate to Eddie? I feel like the two of us are going to get along just fine, RR
    Finished The Dark Tower at 6:03AM on December 21, 2009.

The man in black fled across the desert,
    and the gunslinger followed.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Haven't we yet?

Welcome you all. You will have a really good time here.
    I think it's safe to say we're finally in the majority

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    SS, you need to get busy with reading the rest.
    I'm doing my best, Brice. College is giving me very little free time, but I find at least a half an hour a day to pump out some King (not much, but it's all I've got, usually). Right now I'm about 230 pages into The Stand. Do you have any suggestions for my next read?

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Welcome!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Welcome everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by SynysterSaint View Post
    SS, you need to get busy with reading the rest.
    I'm doing my best, Brice. College is giving me very little free time, but I find at least a half an hour a day to pump out some King (not much, but it's all I've got, usually). Right now I'm about 230 pages into The Stand. Do you have any suggestions for my next read?
    Now is college really as important as reading?

Okay, what all have you read, my friend?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Now is college really as important as reading?

Okay, what all have you read, my friend?
    No, it really isn't

I absolutely hate college. I'm hoping to drop out but I know my parents would never allow it. If I can, though, I want to get an apartment in New York City with my friend Ryan. "But that's not what you want to do the most," you might say, Brice, and you would be completely right. I really want to backpack around America and then, after I feel that I finally know my country, I would travel across Europe. Hopefully I would then settle down in London or Dublin after I've finished travelling to work on my music and writing. But again, I know my parents would never allow it, and I have no idea how I would survive without them lending me money in between jobs.

Stephen King I have read: The Dark Tower in its completion, 'Salem's Lot, and (after I'm finished with it) The Stand. Overall, I've read 9 King books, and one short story collection (Everything's Eventual), but it's not much with the breadth of work King has accomplished.

Ray Bradbury I have read: Fahrenheit 451, Something Wicked This Way Comes.

Michael Crichton I have read: Everything (except for Pirate Latitudes)

And then there's a random assortment of authors. I'll tell you if you suggest something random I already have under my belt.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Stay in college!! You will regret dropping out later. As to your next read...read the other version of The Stand.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Stay in college!! You will regret dropping out later. As to your next read...read the other version of The Stand.
    Right now I'm working my way through the unabridged version. I can't imagine reading the abridged; I hate shortened works. They're always lacking something, and in this case it seems the abridged is lacking King's distinct pacing and characterization.

About college: I hate the American education system. I always have. There's fundamental problems with it that I just will never come to terms with, and most of it happens to fall within the realm of "higher learner" (I.E. college). There is no job I foresee myself having that would require me to hold a degree (which, in itself, is simply a piece of paper that says I was able to be taught a certain field for the four years I was there). I want to be a novelist, which requires no degree, or a musician, where a degree is optional. I feel that for my own benefit and growth (not to mention my mental health), it would be time and money better spent seeing the world and learning where I fit into it (if indeed I would ever "fit" is another matter entirely). College is about finding out who you are and building a future, but it's not a future I want. I don't know who I am, but staying here is not the way to help me find out.
    ^That's the shortened version of why I want to leave.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 226 of 430 FirstFirst ... 126 176 216 224 225 226 227 228 236 276 326 ... LastLast