Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 335 of 430 FirstFirst ... 235 285 325 333 334 335 336 337 345 385 ... LastLast
Results 8,351 to 8,375 of 10740

Thread: Introduce yourself

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

[QUOTE=Merlin1958;899406]
    Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    I'm kind of OCD with cleaning, collecting, and having a place for everything. So I kind of needed Faithful. Why is it blasphemy? I do hate the Red Sox, but King did write it so it falls under my OCD collecting lol. Then again, baseball has sucked for years now anyway
    I was just fooling with you. My avatar is different for the Haven Fundraiser this year as we are supporting all the contributing artists by changing our avatars to reflect artist remarques, etc. Still, if you look you will see that mine is altered to include the Yankee logo. Normally, my avatar is a pic of a diamond WS ring. I'm rather famous (perhaps "Infamous") as being a huge Yankee fan around these parts. There is actually a youtube video in an old thread of me setting a copy of "Faithful" on fire!!! I don't care that King helped write it. That book will never be touched by these hands (I wore surgical gloves to burn it, lest I get infected) nor appear on my shelves!! LOL Twas all just in good fun. Sorry if you misunderstood my intent. I sometimes forget that not everyone is aware of some of the member proclivities.

My favorite Yankees when I was younger were Paul O'Neil and Don Mattingly. I loved Mike Mussina too. But baseball these days with Kershaw making 30 million for 30-35 starts is out of control. What happened to the times where guys played for the love of the game and not paychecks? All sports are like this now, except for hockey. When studs like Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Toews get 8-11 million per year is nothing compared to the other sports. How can this honestly continue??? I'll take a cheap 1 million per year for just one season please! I've hated the Red Sox before I was born, but I got 50% off "Faithful" for my collection. I'm OCD weak .
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Hi everyone. I'm new to the site here, but some people, T-Dogz_AK47 and Merlin1958, may know me from other forums, like Cemetery Dance. So let's run through the questionnaire from the OP.

How did you discover the Dark Tower?
    Probably saw it in a book store... can't recall. At some point I just knew of it.

Who is your favourite charcter?
    From the Dark Tower? I dunno never read any of it. In anything? Let's go with Conan.

What is your favourite book?
    Again I don't know if this is in reference to the Dark Tower or not, but having not read it, I'll go with It. Although I just said I hadn't read it, I have read It, and I thoroughly enjoyed it(It).

How old are you?
    Right now or when you read this post in two years from now? Two years from now I'll be 30.

Where are you from?
    Somewhere cold.

Do you have a nickname?
    Yeah... Theli. I also have a real name; Daniel.

How did you find this site?
    I was linked here by T-Dogz for the Haven Foundation Fundraiser from the Cemetery Dance forums. I've been tweeting the auctions on Twitter as they're posted on Ebay. I hope I can jump on one myself before the auctions are through.

Feels like I just had to cross the Bridge of Death:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV0tCphFMr8

There you have it. Now you know nothing about me. Congrats! See you all on the forums!

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm new to the site here, but some people, T-Dogz_AK47 and Merlin1958, may know me from other forums, like Cemetery Dance. So let's run through the questionnaire from the OP.

How did you discover the Dark Tower?
    Probably saw it in a book store... can't recall. At some point I just knew of it.

Who is your favourite charcter?
    From the Dark Tower? I dunno never read any of it. In anything? Let's go with Conan.

What is your favourite book?
    Again I don't know if this is in reference to the Dark Tower or not, but having not read it, I'll go with It. Although I just said I hadn't read it, I have read It, and I thoroughly enjoyed it(It).

How old are you?
    Right now or when you read this post in two years from now? Two years from now I'll be 30.

Where are you from?
    Somewhere cold.

Do you have a nickname?
    Yeah... Theli. I also have a real name; Daniel.

How did you find this site?
    I was linked here by T-Dogz for the Haven Foundation Fundraiser from the Cemetery Dance forums. I've been tweeting the auctions Twitter as they're posted on Ebay. I hope I can jump one myself before the auctions are through.

Feels like I just had to cross the Bridge of Death:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV0tCphFMr8

There you have it. Now you know nothing about me. Congrats! See you all on the forums!
    A huge welcome to the forum, Dan!! It's great to have you here buddy!

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by goheat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    Thanks everyone. Not sure if anyone watched the Super Bowl, but it was wild. And I had to shovel 3 times yesterday. Anyway, anyone order anything on CD with the 50% off coupon ending today? It doesn't work for anything new, but I did get the discount on the gift edition of "Faithful."
    I ordered 2 slipcases for signed books I have: Dr. Sleep and Revival. I'd have ordered a Duma Key slipcase too, but they're all gone...
    Thats a bitch to find now. I've been after it for a while....
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Welcome. Daniel! Good to see you over here now!

John

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Welcome, Daniel!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Traveler Zurov has a spectacular aura about Zurov has a spectacular aura about Zurov's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

So I'm curious, what is the haven foundation all about?

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Zurov View Post
    So I'm curious, what is the haven foundation all about?
    From the desk of Stephen King:

In the summer of 1999, I was struck by a careless driver and nearly killed while taking my daily walk. It was ten months before I was able to work productively again. Some years later, a good friend of mine, audio reader Frank Muller, suffered terrible head injuries as a result of a motorcycle accident. He never worked again. My luck was infinitely better than Muller’s, but the two events set me thinking about the uniquely perilous situation of many freelance artists. The majority of mid-list writers, audio readers, and freelancers in the book and publishing industry have little or no financial cushion in the event of a sudden catastrophic accident such as that suffered by Muller and myself. Many aren’t affiliated with any professional associations or guilds that can help them in the event of such reversals. Even those who are affiliated with organizations such as The Authors’ Guild cannot look for much beyond token help over a short period of time.
    My response to this has been the creation of The Haven Foundation. Its goals will be fourfold:
    First, to establish a compassionate and committed group of board members willing to sift through cases and identify those where the need seems to be the greatest. These “greatest need” cases would be freelance members of the fine arts community – who have found themselves unable to work due to disease or accident. We will also focus on freelancers who lost their homes and work spaces (with freelancers these are often the same) as a result of natural disasters or other catastrophic events.
    Second, to help a number of these individuals each year, based on need.
    Third, to establish cut-off points for such help. As I have discovered, the decision to cut off aid is an agonizing one, and best made by a group rather than by an individual. I have come to believe, however, that it must be made if help is to be rendered to the many rather than the few.
    Fourth, to seek fundraising opportunities so that The Haven Foundation can continue to do this work.
    Stephen King

We do our own fund-raiser here every year and donate the proceeds to the Haven Foundation. The fund-raiser includes auctions, and games, and nonsense, and generally a good time is had by all while we help a worthy cause.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very nicely described and explained, Brian!

Rep points for that, my friend!

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the warm welcome! Good to see you here too John!

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

How old are you?
    Woah woah woah. I don't appreciate you making me do math this early in the day.

But, seriously. Welcome to the boards. I hope you enjoy it.
    Also, do you have plans of ever getting around to reading The Dark Tower books?

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Welcome, Daniel!
    "God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post

How old are you?
    Woah woah woah. I don't appreciate you making me do math this early in the day.

But, seriously. Welcome to the boards. I hope you enjoy it.
    Also, do you have plans of ever getting around to reading The Dark Tower books?
    Yeah I do, I'm just not a big fan of massive series, a trilogy tends to be the most I can handle. So I find the task quite daunting to begin.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Yeah, I can understand how it's overwhelming. 7 books is a big commitment.
    You are definitely in for a treat when you finally decide to read it.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's a question for when I do start: I've heard The Little Sisters of Eluria is a prelude/stand alone novel, can I or should I start with it, or will it ruin The Gunslinger?

I didn't read it until after The Gunslinger, so I wouldn't say it's essential to read before starting the series.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's a question for when I do start: I've heard The Little Sisters of Eluria is a prelude/stand alone novel, can I or should I start with it, or will it ruin The Gunslinger?
    I agree. It's not necessary to start with it. If you start to have problems with The Gunslinger, you might want to skip to book 2--The Drawing of the Three--then go back to The Gunslinger. The Gunslinger is VERY different than any of the King books and lots of people have a problem with it.

John

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

John says true and I envy your journey.

Welcome!!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Traveler Daburts will become famous soon enough

How did you discover the Dark Tower?Came upon it quite late but makes whole rest of the books more interesting & must read

Who is your favorite charcter? Eddie I like a flawed hero

What is your favorite book? The Stand

How old are you? 39

Where are you from?Bristol,England

do you have a nickname?Mutts

how did you find this site?Google & upon inspection looked very impressive

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daburts View Post
    How did you discover the Dark Tower?Came upon it quite late but makes whole rest of the books more interesting & must read

Who is your favorite charcter? Eddie I like a flawed hero

What is your favorite book? The Stand

How old are you? 39

Where are you from?Bristol,England

do you have a nickname?Mutts

how did you find this site?Google & upon inspection looked very impressive

Welcome!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Welcome, Daburts! Hope you find this place impressive enough to make yourself at home.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Dabruts, come and hunker next to the fire.

Gunslinger Apprentice jsweet has a spectacular aura about jsweet has a spectacular aura about jsweet has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Hi Everyone! New to the board, so ...

How did you discover the Dark Tower? Had a friend in high school who was a King fan and borrowed Gunslinger from him. Was the third King book I ever read (after Pet Sematary & Christine).

Who is your favorite character? Can't pick one!

What is your favorite book? Hearts in Atlantis

How old are you? 38

Where are you from? Minneapolis

do you have a nickname? Nope

how did you find this site? From a link on StephenKingCollector.com.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Welcome!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice bugen will become famous soon enough bugen's Avatar

I'm noticing I completely misunderstood the Introduce Yourself question of, 'How did you discover the Dark Tower,' thinking it was the website.

To answer the actual question, my aunt gave me trade paperbacks of the first 3 books when I was a teen since she knew I liked King. I devoured them, then learned SK wasn't going to write the rest of the series, at least not for a long time. Many years later I was surprised to learn not only did he pick it back up, the final installment was just coming out and I'd been under a rock.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

And a big 'Hi' to everyone here I know from the CD forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 335 of 430 FirstFirst ... 235 285 325 333 334 335 336 337 345 385 ... LastLast