Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 142 of 430 FirstFirst ... 42 92 132 140 141 142 143 144 152 192 242 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,550 of 10743

Thread: Introduce yourself

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

welcome Rollick!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice Whitey Appleseed is on a distinguished road Whitey Appleseed's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hi friends,
    Looks like a great site, read a few threads, don't know how much I'll post yet, but figured I ought to say hi, nice to meet ya!

How did you discover the Dark Tower?
    Bought a copy of The Gunslinger in a bookstore, Rapid City, South Dakota, summer of '06. Late bloomer to King. I'm 49 and feelin' it. Hooked since.

Who is your favorite character?
    Good question. Hard not to get interested in Roland and then we meet someone else, they interact with Roland, and there you go. At times, I'm with Eddie, and want to ring Roland's neck. Jake's pretty cool, as well.

What is your favorite book?
    First time through, I really liked The Drawing of the Three, enjoyed the idea of being in someone's head, the feeling of being bewildered, enlightened and baffled at the same time.

How old are you?
    Guess I answered that up above, or did I...memory, age, all that...49...oh yeah, and feelin' it.

Where are you from?
    I'm from the Copper Country, about as far north in Michigan as you can get, a Yooper, nowadays, a play on 'the Upper Peninsula', "trolls" being from 'the Lower Peninsula.

do you have a nickname?
    I've had some nicknames I'd like to forget, Wussy Wally Wonder comes to mind (my real name is Walter), kids come up with the darnedest things, "carrot" another, maybe cause of the way I tan (could be some Laplander in me). Wally when I was younger. I go by Walt now. Whitey works. Yeah, boy howdy! Anyway, pleased to meet you. Looks like there's a lot to read here before I do much posting.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Welcome Whitey, and Rollick

[IMG]http%3A//img15.photobucket.com/albums/v44/animeskies/welcome6.jpg[/IMG]

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Welcome new friends !
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

welcome Whitey Appleseed!

Traveler jaded1s is on a distinguished road jaded1s's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Hello!

Hi everyone! I thought that I'd take a moment to say hello and answer these questions.

A long time ago, I borrowed the book from my best high school friend. I read the three that were out at the time, in a matter of weeks. That was about 20 years ago.

Wow... that is so hard to choose. Probably Jake or Eddie.

I liked Wizard & Glass the best.

How old are you?

Is always twenty acceptable? I'm 34.

Where are you from?

I began as an American, born in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I am now a permanent resident of Canada, and live in Edmonton, Alberta.

do you have a nickname?

Most people just call me Ani, you all can too.
    Last edited by jaded1s; 12-21-2008 at 08:14 PM. Reason: typo

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Welcome Ani
    Hope you enjoy it here.

Kvothe The Bloodless SigTauGimp is on a distinguished road SigTauGimp's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Welcome, everyone!
    Enjoy yourselves, and don't be afraid to ask for directions if you get lost in this big place.

Elodin: "Tombs is for feckless twits who can't chew their own food. My boy's a Re'lar! He has the feck of twenty men!"

Kvothe: “Books are a poor substitute for female companionship, but they are easier to find.”

Simmon: ”It’s just ointment in case you get burned...but if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy.” Sim’s expression was deadpan. “Delicious candy.”

Were you there to see the Bear?
    YouTube

Country
    Country Flag

welcome jaded1s!

John F. Kennedy K.J.J. is on a distinguished road K.J.J.'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Greetings fellow Mid-Worldians!
    Long Days and Pleasant Nights!
    I am Kevin of Sydney, son of Robert.
    Nice to meet you all ^^ I shall answer your questions now (:

Well, last year in December I picked up a copy of the Stand, after hearing it was an influence in my favorite Television show LOST. I read it in two weeks, it was the second book I ever read, and is by far the best tale I have heard (so far). So I got interested in Stephen King, and more specifically, the demon known as Randall Flagg. I learned that Flagg made appearances in other books, specifically, the Dark Tower series. So i bought the first book, and read it in two days. I fell in love with it, and so far I have read the first four novels of the Dark Tower, and have just begun the fifth tale that has changed my view on life and this universe as a whole.

Definatly Randall Flagg/Richard Fanin/Marten Broadcloak/Walter O'Dim

So farr....probably the first one. The Gunslinger. No line in existence beats "The Man in Black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

How old are you?

The ripe young age of 17.

Where are you from?

From the before mentioned Sydney, Australia!

do you have a nickname?

My friends call me Retro Kev (:

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Welcome new friends!
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey Ani and KJJ--it's really cool to meet you guys.

Welcome to the site.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Traveler jaded1s is on a distinguished road jaded1s's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thank you all!

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Welcome Ani, and KJJ

The answer is within

Banned Ric is an unknown quantity at this point

My Mood
    Angry

Default Greetings all!

Greetings fellow denizens of Mid-World, I suppose this is as good a place as any for my premier post to this wonderful corner of the 'net. My name is Ric as you may have surmised by the astounding lack of creativity shown in my choice of handle, and I currently reside in the great state of New Jersey (please keep the wisecracks to a minimum).

I first came across the work of Sai King — Stephen as he was known to me back then — in the summer of 1979 while I was pouring over a stack of tattered paperbacks in a small, musty used book shop on the south shore of Long Island while my mother was shopping at a clothing store next door. I was eight years old at the time and eager to warp my fragile little mind in as many ways as possible, so I quickly found my way to the "Horror & Science Fiction" section of the shop, which amounted to nothing more than a separate pile of tattered and yellowing paperbacks scattered about. That's pretty much the way the shop was laid out as I remember; not so much in sections, but rather in piles. Oh, there's the "Bestsellers" pile, and over there next to the cardboard box and the chair with three legs? Yea, that's the "Home & Garden" pile.

Asking the proprietor for a specific title was a venture that was undertaken only by the masochistic and the easily amused. She was a robust woman, and if you'd asked me her age at the time I would have said "pre-historic" but the reality was that she was probably close to sixty. She had eyes that seemed to be set three feet deep in her head and when she turned to look at you — which was not often — she bore a vague resemblance to Jabba the Hutt after he'd eaten one of his frog snacks. More often than not the response to any query was "over there, in that pile," which as you can imagine was less than helpful. Other times, you would just get a stare that either meant "over there, in that pile" or "get away from me before I tear out your pancreas and hang it on the wall." Luckily for me I didn't happen to be looking for anything in particular that day, I just wanted something icky and scary to bring home.

My mother would often lose track of time when she was clothes shopping, sometimes spending an hour or more wandering the aisles picking up the same blouse three or four times before finally trying it on, deciding it wasn't for her, and putting it back on the rack. I know this because the first few times she went I tagged along, acting less like her son and more like her walking clothes rack as she strolled through the aisles picking up blouse after blouse and laying them across my head saying "hang onto this for me for a second ok hon?" Thankfully, I discovered the book store shortly thereafter, and I was able to get out of "hangar duty."

The extra time always came in useful because unlike most bookstores in the western hemisphere, this one felt the need to shelve the books — and I use that term loosely — spine-in, which while making for a strangely attractive yellow-shaded sculpture, was not very conducive to finding something interesting simply by looking for it. No, this book shop made you earn your keep, and if you wanted something in particular, by God you were gonna work for it, and that seemed to suit Jabba just fine. My typical M.O. was to simply knock an entire stack of books over in one fell swoop and scan the spines, which as you can guess did not endear me to Frau Hutt and I certainly received my share of "Make sure you pick them up when you're done" chastisements.

Anyway, after toppling an especially tall stack and marveling in the miniature avalanche, I spotted a cover that caught my eye. I mean how could it not? There was this girl on the cover, and she was completely covered in blood! She had a terrified look in her eyes and I was intrigued immediately. I flipped through some of the pages and liked what I read, so I checked the inside front cover for the price which was usually scribbled in pencil and most times indecipherable which caused you to approach the proprietor — carefully guarding your pancreas — to ask the price. I believe now that she scribbled so illegibly on purpose so that she could make the price up on the spot depending on how interested you looked in the particular title. If your eyes were wide and you were holding the book gently, the price would increase 50%. It didn't take me long to learn to toss the paperback at her with a mixture of disinterest and disdain on my face. I think that, and the fact that I was a little kid worked to my advantage; I mean how much cash could an eight-year-old have anyway? Especially one that dressed as poorly as I did and was interested in creepy horror novels? I tossed the book on the desk and shot her my best "What's the damage Jabba?" look. She took the book, looked at the cover, looked at me like I must have been defective for even being interested in this obvious piece of crap, opened the cover and announced the price was 75˘, thereby completing the circle of mutual disgust. Fortunately for me, 75˘ was well within my weekly budget for books so I flipped the three quarters on her desk and made a beeline for the door.

To say that I was taken with Carrie would be an understatement, I simply absorbed it. Every word, every page just flew by and I was hooked. I finished the book in two days and thought about which one of my mother's blouses I should ruin to ensure a return trip to Jabba's palace. In the close to 30!!! years since, I've read everything King has done, and while not a collector on par with some here, have managed to grab a few nice pieces here and there.

I think this post has probably run on for far too long at this point, so I'll close it by saying I'm happy to be here and I look forward to chatting with like-minded individuals. Thanks for having me!

I suppose I'll answer the questions too while I'm here...

This is a really long story, so I'll tackle it in a separate posting if that's ok?

Has to be Roland of Gilead. I feel like he's a member of my family at this point. Not so much a father figure, but more akin to the uncle who's slightly "warped" and tells off-color jokes at the family gatherings.

In the series or from King in general? For the series it's the first one by a mile. That's the one that trapped me, and the one I have so much history with. For King in general it's probably The Stand.

How old are you?

37 and I plan on staying here awhile.

Where are you from?

Frank Sinatra's birthplace.

do you have a nickname?

Some unprintable ones, sure. But you can all call me Ric.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Great story Ric!

It's wonderful to meet you, welcome to the path of the beam.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Wow, Ric, way to jump in!

Welcome and I look forward to seeing you around the threads.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Welcome Ric!
    I lived in NJ for a very long time (ages 5-22).

My Mood
    In Love

Welcome Ric!

The answer is within

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

You know how to start and jump into the middle of the things, Ric. Welcome!

Welcome you all.

Roland would have understood.

Country
    Country Flag

welcome K.J.J.!

welcome Ric!

John F. Kennedy K.J.J. is on a distinguished road K.J.J.'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thankee sai for the welcome ^^
    I've been poking around a fair bit these past few days at the topics (making sure not to venture into any spoilers (: ) and I can tell that this place is certainly the right home for me

My Mood
    In Love

We all get that....wow this place is my home feeling everyday!
    You guys are gonna love it here!!! Its like reaching your very own tower.

The answer is within

Traveler jeffnumberone is on a distinguished road jeffnumberone's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks so much for the warm welcomes.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Great to meet you Jeff.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 142 of 430 FirstFirst ... 42 92 132 140 141 142 143 144 152 192 242 ... LastLast