Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: King and the "n" word

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

Default King and the "n" word

How does a writer who expects to have his work published, get through the very realistic possibility of gaining some SEVERE backlash for using derogatory words like "n*gger" (I won't use it in many contexts, I just won't)?

Does he just take a chance and hope he doesn't get dropped by his publisher or something? He lives in Maine, so I kinda doubt there are really enough ...people... to take too much offense.
    Last edited by BillyxRansom; 01-02-2009 at 05:01 PM. Reason: saying "he lives in ME" is kinda creepy...................

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I don't have an issue with him using in certain contexts. If it's an accurate representation of the way the character speaks, I think it's fine. I don't like the word, but it's nonetheless true that it's used a lot in the real world. It's not like King uses it casually in any way so I see nothing to be offended by. I'd be more offended if the dialogue didn't ring true. I'd think the publishers see it the same way.

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nicely said R of G!
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I think that the way it was used was through detta, Detta is Odettas id, since her ethnicity is a large part of her identity then her id being like that makes sense,
    Fearing a word, no matter the context, only gives the word more negative power
    A word is a word
    and a is a
    context is everything
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The question here Billy is are you talking about King using such language in his written works or using such language himself in an interview. What I would like to know is the context of the usage.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    The question here Billy is are you talking about King using such language in his written works or using such language himself in an interview. What I would like to know is the context of the usage.
    I was sort of wondering the same thing. It would be alot worse if he said it during an interview.
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

agreed. if it's in context, consistent with character development and plot, and makes sense within the story then it belongs there. in that instance, not using the word might not work. could you imagine detta walker not using it?

on the other hand, if we're talking about real life situations, i deplore that word simply because it's overused and used too often in negative and demeaning ways. i don't say it, i don't like it when my friend use it around me, and the one time my god daughter said it i took her phone (her most precious possesssion) away (with her mother's approval).

i would like to echo sam's point. are we strictly talking about king's use of the word in his fiction writing or is there use of the word in interviews, articles, or editorials. because that might be different, again depending on the context.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm unaware of King ever using the word at all anywhere outside of his stories. His use of that word and other similar terms has always seemed necessary and appropriate when he has used it.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

One thing I notice is that his villains are always racist, sexist, and every other "ist" in the book....

I wonder if the supernatural ones, at least, are really that, or if they're just trying to provoke negative reactions from humans....

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Likely so...and ignorance is just commonplace.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree with R_of_G's post. King's strong suit is his character writing. His characters are realistic and if the usage of the word (or any other profanity) is an accurate representation of that character, it is cool with me.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

It reminds me, in certain regards, to QT films and blaxploitation film generally. There remains a lot of cultural significance and character development associated with the "n" word.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

yeah but the whole thing about detta is that shes NOT realistic shes the raging id of an educated african american who is involved in the civil rights movement, detta is everything about odetta that she fears in herself
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Gunslinger Apprentice Whitey Appleseed is on a distinguished road Whitey Appleseed's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I dunno...I wonder how they feel in the third world?

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    yeah but the whole thing about detta is that shes NOT realistic shes the raging id of an educated african american who is involved in the civil rights movement, detta is everything about odetta that she fears in herself
    It was a general statement about the whole corpus of King and not specifically directed toward the Dark Tower series. His use of the N word isn't limited to Detta by any means.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    I don't have an issue with him using in certain contexts. If it's an accurate representation of the way the character speaks, I think it's fine. I don't like the word, but it's nonetheless true that it's used a lot in the real world. It's not like King uses it casually in any way so I see nothing to be offended by. I'd be more offended if the dialogue didn't ring true. I'd think the publishers see it the same way.
    +1
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Demon of the Prim IWasSentWest is on a distinguished road IWasSentWest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

well spoken r of g

i remember being scolded for saying "nigga" one time on tdt.net (not in racist form)....i was thickheaded and younger, and thought since everybody that i'd known (black and white) never had a problem with it, than it was ok..but i've become wiser, and now i really try to keep that shit from creeping into my vocabulary
    I have many leather bound books.
    I'm kind of a big deal.

Changing the plans that I’ve been setting on, I’m scared by the way that my life is getting gone

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I never use the n word but I understand that some of king's characters would use it. There are lots of words I never use, but characters in my stories might use, because it is their character. Not all characters are beautiful. I have one character who is absolutely foul-mouthed and racist who ends up redeeming himself (yes, idealistic me) so I understand why bad words sometimes are necessary. They show the character who they are, what place they are at, and sometimes their evolution of character.

(Anyone ever read no traveller returns, and they'll understand)

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

For those who are unclear, I am talking strictly about King's writings.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BillyxRansom View Post
    For those who are unclear, I am talking strictly about King's writings.
    Then I don't really see where the question comes from; any word can be used if dictated by the inner necessity of a given work of art or piece of literature. The only limitation can be inside the writer himself: his taste, the depth of his understanding his own characters, his mastery of the language he writes in, and the like. N-word, c-word, k-word should not be used without necessity in a piece of fiction; but, then again, no words, even "weather" or "telephone", should be used there without necessity.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree...all words should always be used as sparingly as that one.

If you rescue me

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    ... but, then again, no words, even "weather" or "telephone", should be used there without necessity.
    Precisely. Every word should be authentic.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

...but wouldn't that get a bit redundant, Jayson?

If you rescue me

How so?

ETA: Nevermind just got it.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you rescue me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast