Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which movie makes it to the Final?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Shawshank Redemption

24 58.54%
  • Pulp Fiction

17 41.46%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: BMOAT - Semi Finals, Thread 2

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Personally, I care little for influence. I understand the position and I say this with ALOT of classically important films, books, and music nearby including CK, but personally I feel personal aesthetic value is the only value. Now, I think it's undeniable Orson Welles was a great director, but ultimately anything he did would have happened with or without him eventually...someone would have thought to do a ceiling shot sooner or later. Moreover I think most any director (or any other artist for that matter) would prefer that you enjoy their creation than think it important.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Excellent points there Brice.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Of course...they are mine.

Spoiler:
    thanks feev

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very true Brice. Very true. For me though, the classification of BMOAT must go to a film that has had an impact on the world around them in some way be it on how we see films or how we look at our own lives. To be the best of all time, a film must do more than entertain. It must be more than just a two hour trip on celluloid. It must transcend it's medium and affect the world. At least that's my viewpoint. I think there are, percentage wise, few that do this.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, ideally a film would be technically innovative, spectacularly entertaining and strike a chord with the masses, but that is seldom the case. I think there are few films in all of movie history that could meet those lofty goals. I value raw entertainment over the rest.

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

I agree Brice. Entertainment takes the top spot by leaps and bounds. If it's not an entertaining film, it ain't on the list. Leaving Las Vegas was like that for me. I saw it, am glad I saw it, and loved Cage's performance, but it was a horrible movie. There was nothing really redeeming about the story. It was horribly depressing with no break from the sorrow. Not something I want to watch even once if I know the deal. If I had known the deal with LLV, I would have never watched it. Well... maybe. Elizabeth Shue was pretty hot.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked LLV. But then again, I fucking despise happy endings.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Well, ideally a film would be technically innovative, spectacularly entertaining and strike a chord with the masses, but that is seldom the case. I think there are few films in all of movie history that could meet those lofty goals.
    And none of them made it to the finals.

I value raw entertainment over the rest.
    So do I. But now everything is hinged on who finds what entertaining. I personally find Seven Samurai or La Charme Discrete de la Bourgeoisie and the like perfectly entertaining, while I find Star Wars or Pulp Fiction indescribably boring. So, yes, it's definitely a matter of entertainment, but - I think you see the point.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

*throws away all of my votes , because that is absolutely correct Jean.*

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Well, ideally a film would be technically innovative, spectacularly entertaining and strike a chord with the masses, but that is seldom the case. I think there are few films in all of movie history that could meet those lofty goals.
    And none of them made it to the finals.
    Hmmm...I don't remember too many movies that fit those criteria IMO being in the competition to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I value raw entertainment over the rest.
    So do I. But now everything is hinged on who finds what entertaining. I personally find Seven Samurai or La Charme Discrete de la Bourgeoisie and the like perfectly entertaining, while I find Star Wars or Pulp Fiction indescribably boring. So, yes, it's definitely a matter of entertainment, but - I think you see the point.
    I think eventually any competition like this will be reduced to the voter's subjective viewpoints. Star Wars pretty much bored me to tears. Both Pulp Fiction and Seven Samurai I found highly entertaining. The other movie I've never seen. I tend not to be unable to enjoy most foreign films. Basically if it's not in English I'm usually unable to immerse myself in it. Subtitles or dubbing tend to pull me right out of the story. I realize this is my own deficiency and not the film's, but for me at least it is almost universally the case.

If you rescue me

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I think eventually any competition like this will be reduced to the voter's subjective viewpoints.
    Exactly.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNING'S CHILDE View Post
    I liked LLV. But then again, I fucking despise happy endings.
    I believe we share the same viewpoint!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh man its been so long since I last saw Pulp Fiction. Damn thats a good movie. Intense.
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

Country
    Country Flag

The bear found Star Wars boring?!?!? NOOOOOOO!!!!! Noooo!! That's not true, that's impossible!!

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    The bear found Star Wars boring?!?!? NOOOOOOO!!!!! Noooo!! That's not true, that's impossible!!
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Voted Pulp Fiction. And I have not hasitated for even a minute...

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post

I tend not to be unable to enjoy most foreign films. Basically if it's not in English I'm usually unable to immerse myself in it. Subtitles or dubbing tend to pull me right out of the story. I realize this is my own deficiency and not the film's, but for me at least it is almost universally the case.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The strange thing is I can thoroughly enjoy silent films where the subtitles are actually part of the movie.

If you rescue me

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Um...why am I getting a message saying I still need to vote here when I already did...?

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe you thought you did, but it didn't go through for some reason?

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Hannah put up the announcement-prompter a little late, he most likely voted prior to her setting it up.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

That's possible too, but if it let's him vote then it didn't register before. If it doesn't that means it did It would hurt nothing to try again.

If you rescue me

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John_and_Yoko View Post
    Um...why am I getting a message saying I still need to vote here when I already did...?
    I got that same message as well, but had already voted.
    Did you vote in the other poll? I was wondering if maybe somehow the notices got mixed up because I haven't received a notice for the other poll, and that's the one that I haven't voted in.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The Shawshank Redemption advances.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Shawshank vs The Empire Strikes Back !!!

No way would I have call those two in the finals.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast