Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How did imagine Susan before you met her?

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

I never gave her any thought until WaG. And I don't like her. Unbridled, teenaged sex does not equate soul mate or true love.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

How did imagine Susan before you met her?

Hmmm. Let's see... I pictured her as a beautiful young woman, physically and emotionally strong, confident and sure of herself. That's the kind of "one love" I always thought Roland would fall for.

( boy oh boy was I wrong!! )
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I did not think of her too much. She was just a faceless character with no specific personality traits - a young woman (not a teenager) with long brunette hair. I still have trouble imagining her blond.
    If you are going through hell - keep going

Gunslinger Apprentice Walkingman79 is on a distinguished road Walkingman79's Avatar

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't recall how I pictured her before TDT IV.Once I started to read about her I pictured my first love from high school.She was very attractive and I can relate to Rolands infatuation with a beautiful blonde.I really liked this part of the story because even though they were young love can be very strong at that age,almost overwelming,and I think Sai king nailed this theme.
    Suppose that all worlds, all universes, met at a single nexus, a single pylon, a Tower.

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

how did i picture her? i honestly didn't. since he really doesn't even talk about her at all before "Wizard & Glass" cept for saying her name a couple of times. there really wasn't anything to picture. honestly it's hard to even think of "Roland" even being in love with anyone cause he's pretty much a loner as an adult.

so i really never thought to much about if he ever was in love, in fact i never thought about it at all. am i alone in this?

Gunslinger Apprentice Lord_Vertigo has a spectacular aura about Lord_Vertigo has a spectacular aura about

I have never tried posting images here before (first time to this board in a couple of years), but I had always pictured Susan as the young Renee O'Connor who played Gabrielle in the "Xena" TV series. I'm reading "Wizard and Glass" right now for the third time, and this image is still completely in my mind as I picture the character. Obviously, Susan would have been younger than this, but I think the actress was fairly young herself in this image.

Traveler cupofcoffee is on a distinguished road cupofcoffee's Avatar

Haha, the more I think about this, it's kind of a weird answer—but here it is. Before I read The Gunslinger, I'd only heard little bits and pieces of Dark Tower trivia. I knew it was some kind of post apocalyptic spaghetti western fantasy quest, and that it involved a mysterious cowboy with a pair of long revolvers, a heroin addiction, a woman in a wheelchair, another that gets burned alive, and something about a monorail. I don't think I even really knew that Roland was the main character, but I imagined Susan to look like (and basically be) Karen Allen's character from Raiders of the Lost Ark. I thought she'd be around thirty, brunette, mouth like a sailor, dirty face but pretty blue eyes, putting away Lucky Strikes and blowing the heads off any mutant bandits that came too close. For some reason it was just the kind of character I envisioned fitting in well with the type of story I imagined the Dark Tower to be.

I didn't end up liking the real Susan as much as my mental image, sadly. I was disappointed that she and Roland crossed paths when they were so ridiculously young. It kind of lessens the idea of Roland's continuing grief—yes, it's heartbreaking what happened to Susan, but I find it kind of hard to believe that it's a thousand years later he's still in love with the girl he spent a few months fucking when he was a teenager.

Gunslinger Apprentice RolandLover will become famous soon enough RolandLover will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cupofcoffee View Post
    Haha, the more I think about this, it's kind of a weird answer—but here it is. Before I read The Gunslinger, I'd only heard little bits and pieces of Dark Tower trivia. I knew it was some kind of post apocalyptic spaghetti western fantasy quest, and that it involved a mysterious cowboy with a pair of long revolvers, a heroin addiction, a woman in a wheelchair, another that gets burned alive, and something about a monorail. I don't think I even really knew that Roland was the main character, but I imagined Susan to look like (and basically be) Karen Allen's character from Raiders of the Lost Ark. I thought she'd be around thirty, brunette, mouth like a sailor, dirty face but pretty blue eyes, putting away Lucky Strikes and blowing the heads off any mutant bandits that came too close. For some reason it was just the kind of character I envisioned fitting in well with the type of story I imagined the Dark Tower to be.

I didn't end up liking the real Susan as much as my mental image, sadly. I was disappointed that she and Roland crossed paths when they were so ridiculously young. It kind of lessens the idea of Roland's continuing grief—yes, it's heartbreaking what happened to Susan, but I find it kind of hard to believe that it's a thousand years later he's still in love with the girl he spent a few months fucking when he was a teenager.
    Your last paragraph pretty much sums it up for how I feel about Susan.

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

"The first cut is the deepest"

Traveler pooloftears is on a distinguished road pooloftears's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine

I don't understand how Susan, with her supposed spunk and intelligence, could be talked into a sexual relationship (for money no less) with a dirty old man by her insane aunt. That kind of knocked her down a few notches for me. Also, Roland was what, 14 when he met her? Kind of makes me think Roland uses Susan as an excuse, considering he claims to still be in love with her after all that time.

John F. Kennedy Random321321 is on a distinguished road

Only in the retcon Gunslinger is there any extensive discussion about her, so I was not anticipating her at all.

John F. Kennedy Forge of the King is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bethany View Post
    I never gave her any thought until WaG. And I don't like her. Unbridled, teenaged sex does not equate soul mate or true love.
    Considering how many people in the world were high school sweethearts who got married and lived happily ever after (as in, without divorce) I'd have to disagree with your post entirely. I think you can find your soul mate or true love at any post-pubescent age.

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

i used my imagination.

Traveler BabyBlue is on a distinguished road BabyBlue's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I met my husband when I was 12 and he was 15. He gave me my first kiss when I was 13 and I really believe I fell in love with him at that moment. We remained just friends (aside from that one kiss that is) until I was 17. Just because I was a kid and didn't know anything about how to be in a relationship didn't make my love for him any less real. Even now (after having been married 7 years) I remember nearly every detail of that first summer we spent together. I always imagined Roland's feelings for Susan were made stronger, richer somehow because their relationship was cut down in its infantcy.

Traveler Fyrehardt is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Devilish
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cupofcoffee View Post
    (emphasis mine) You say true, I say thankya. I think Roland was/is more "in love" with the idea of Susan and being in love than he actually was/is in love with Susan herself. Her untimely demise got tied up into a whole lot of other drama, and I think that's why it still cut at Roland for so long. If Susan wasn't associated with the fight, the grapefruit, the matricide, etc, then he may have been able to let go more easily.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2