Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: How Do You Rank Duma Key Overall?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • I loved it - 5

41 43.62%
  • It was good - 4

17 18.09%
  • Average - 3

2 2.13%
  • Only so-so - 2

1 1.06%
  • I didnt like it - 1

3 3.19%
  • Never Read

30 31.91%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Duma Key--Bracket 12 Winner!!

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

This book pissed me off.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Why, oh furry pink one? Why did it piss you off? Just because everyone keeps telling you you'll put your eye out doesn't mean you should take your frustration out on a poor defenseless book. Hey look... a pole. I triple dog dare you...
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    This book pissed me off.
    Yes, I too am curious. What didn't you like?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Bears would like to know, too...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I was so excited when I started this book. It seemed so promising, yet built up to nothing IMO. That's why it pissed me off.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

You would be correct, dear bear.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Loved it. Lisey's and Duma got King back on track to his "supernatural" roots, imo.

Gunslinger Apprentice Whitey Appleseed is on a distinguished road Whitey Appleseed's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Another favorite. Lived in Florida for a time. Weird hearing rhat cheer coming from King. Lots of images, enough to keep most poets curious. Listened to the audio, as well, only audio book I have.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    Loved it. Lisey's and Duma got King back on track to his "supernatural" roots, imo.
    I agree wholeheartedly and what's interesting is the strong character development in both of these books. Its what makes the fantastical or paranormal work so well for me particularly with King. Horror tropes or archetypes that bore me to no end with other authors, work with King because I get so invested with the characters that I believe its happening. Boo ya moon would have been ridiculous in many ways if it weren't for Scott and Lisey. And as much as didn't like the fall of Perse in Duma Key, I was better able to deal with it because of Edgar and Wireman.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly and what's interesting is the strong character development in both of these books. Its what makes the fantastical or paranormal work so well for me particularly with King. Horror tropes or archetypes that bore me to no end with other authors, work with King because I get so invested with the characters that I believe its happening. Boo ya moon would have been ridiculous in many ways if it weren't for Scott and Lisey. And as much as didn't like the fall of Perse in Duma Key, I was better able to deal with it because of Edgar and Wireman.
    Dude, that's is right on!
    Reading those two novels got me anxious about King again...eagerly awaiting what comes next. I am super hopeful about his big'un that he has coming out in 2009.

Dude, that's is right on!
    Reading those two novels got me anxious about King again...eagerly awaiting what comes next. I am super hopeful about his big'un that he has coming out in 2009.
    I'm super hopeful myself. I really think Lisey's Story and Duma Key are good signs.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I agree with the sentiment that it was the characters that make a book like Duma Key what it is, especially since the "action" part of it was so, well, lame quite frankly. That said, I didn't really care for Wireman all that much. To me, he was something of a pale imitation of a character type like Henry Leyden. The Wireman-speak just got to be too much after awhile. Nobody talks like that every single time they open their mouths. Still, Edgar was one of the better characters SK created in a long long time.

Jayson, I think that one of the reasons that Wireman clung to that language was because of his continuing grief in regards to his departed wife. He wasn't even hispanic. I can not only "buy that" but empathize with it a great deal. In this way, it was intrinsically related to his character development and not peripheral or annoying, but central and endearing.

I got that aspect of it, and I too thought it touching at first. I just think King overdid it. To have him say things like that every now and again is touching, to have him do so practically every time he spoke was overkill and didn't ring true to me. Just my personal take on it, but after awhile it stopped being endearing and started being annoying.

But remember the severity of his pain:

Spoiler:
    He tried to kill himself, I mean really tried

If anything, King downplayed it. Coming back from something like that practically necessitates obsessive compulsive behavior when dealing with grief. I never got the sense it was too much and:

Spoiler:
    Wireman's death was the most difficult one for me to accept.

"God punishes us for what we can't imagine" was practically the leit motif of the book.

I don't discount his pain at all. As much as I felt for Wireman, after awhile it no longer seemed like a natural aspect of his character as it did something King just couldn't or wouldn't stop doing. I doubt he spoke like that all the time when he talked to Ms. Eastlake, so it seemed odd to me that he did in nearly every dialog with Edgar.

Chalk it up to personal preference on my part. At least it wasn't all in italics like the "How to Paint a Picture" sections. That physically pained me to read.

Yeah, our personal preferences are different in this regard. I just went through some things a few years ago that caused me to empathize with Wireman's grief. I understand what its like to cling to something that isn't there anymore. I'm not saying that you don't understand that, but just pointing out the reason that his language never got on my nerves. I actually think that he did speak to Miss Eastlake that way, and himself in the mirror or whoever was opposite to him. I bet he even prayed like that.

I bet he even prayed like that.
    Maybe si, maybe no.

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    I bet he even prayed like that.
    Maybe si, maybe no.
    Thanks for killing the ambience muchacho.

No way I could pass that one up. It was a fastball right over the plate.

I know. Can't say that I would have been able to help myself.

I enjoy these conversations. I really understand a little more about why I liked Wireman so much. I wish I could change my vote from a 4 to a 5.

Perhaps a mod with power over this part of the forum (like Aaron or Jean) can change that for you. Can't hurt to ask.

I was close to giving it a 5 myself (I took off no points for Wireman), but the whole
    Spoiler:
    figurine in a flashlight
    thing just rubbed me the wrong way.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't know why, but I kept hearing Hulk Hogan's voice in my head whenever I read Wireman's bits, and after a while I even started to confuse the two

Why did you have to ruin that for me Feev?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast