Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Collection: carlosdetweiller

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    I never thought to display my proofs alongside the trade editions. It seems to work quite well in your display. Maybe it works better because you have several copies of the same book together. (I only have one copy of each book)

We all know this is only part of your superb collection, and look forward to a glimpse into the “back room”, and the fourth wall. I bet you have the same problem as the rest of us. What do we do with the magazines and college stuff? Are your slipcased manuscripts in there as well?
    Over the years I have displayed the books in just about every sequence I could think of. US trades, foreign trades and S/L's together by title, proofs separate from trades, etc. The only thing I think I haven't done is alphabetical by title (that would be too weird). My present display order is the one that is most pleasing to me and makes more sense to me but each collector gets to decide that for himself.

I have a system in place for magazines and college stuff in the back room. It's not the most visually pleasing part of my collection but it is functional.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Here are a couple of photos of the last wall in the basement's main room. In the center of the room is something I am really proud of. The desk and chairs are from my great uncle. He was a urologist and he practiced medicine from this desk for many years. When he died my great aunt gave it to me. I lugged it around for many years and many Army moves. When we settled here I found a wonderful furniture restorer/refinisher and he got it looking brand new.

The first stack of three cases is different editions of Dracula, ranging from the first edition in 1897 to an edition by the Folio Society in 2008. I don't have them all, of course, but I do have lots of time.

First shelf, second stack - Shirley Jackson (no relation) novels in US and UK first editions.

Second shelf - various horror novels like PSYCHO, THE EXORCIST, ROSEMARY'S BABY, HELL HOUSE, THE OTHER, etc. Sort of the high points of modern horror (according to me).

Bottom shelf - DRACULA run overs and older books like THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE, FRANKENSTEIN, BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, etc.

On the wall are some pages of art by Bernie Wrightson from CREEPSHOW.

The tall stack with five cases is all Anne Rice. I really liked the early vampire books and liked some of the books about the Mayfair witches. I don't like her more recent stuff at all but for some reason I keep collecting her books. I'm working on getting proofs of all of her books right now. Some, especially the UK proofs, are really hard.

To the right of that case is Stephen Gervais' artwork from the Grant edition of CHRISTINE.

On top of the next short stack is supposed to be a piece of Lugosi's cape that he wore onstage as Dracula. The cape was given by Lugosi to Forry Ackerman. The guy who bought the cape at auction cut it all up (a shame, IMO) and sold pieces of it.

The next three stacks of only two cases high are all F. Paul Wilson. I really like most of his stuff, especially the recent Repairman Jack stories.

On the middle case are two models of Christine that I have shown before. One looking showroom new and the other appearing very weathered.

Gunslinger Apprentice idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've been waiting for a tour of your basement like this for years. It's like visiting Mecca. Thanks for sharing, Bob.

The next tall stack of five cases is all Peter Straub: US and UK trade editions, proofs, S/L's, early poetry, etc. If it is Straub you name it and I have it.

Straub continues on the top two cases of the next stack. Robert McCammon is on the bottom shelf.

The top two shelves of the next stack are early Dean Koontz (up to STRANGERS) and all of his pseudonyms (Brian Coffey, K. R. Dwyer, etc.) in US and UK firsts.

The bottom shelf is McCammon overflow and King overflow (DUMA KEY and JUST AFTER SUNSET).

The last stack is all Dan Simmons.

On the wall are paintings by Bernie Wrightson from FROM A BUICK 8, CYCLE OF THE WEREWOLF & WOLVES OF THE CALLA.

So, that is my basement. My gracious wife lets me do pretty much what I want with the room. I spend a LOT of time down here and keep thinking of ways to improve the display. The biggest problem, of course, is shelf space which is the universal problem of all book collectors.

Next up, the "back room." This will be a challenge for my limited photographic skills. The room is small and there is LOTS of stuff in it. Give me a day or two and I'll try to take some presentable shots.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

It's absolutely beautiful, Bob. I've long admired what I've seen of your collection in the past. To see it all together is simply beathtaking. I am speechless.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for showing your collection Bob, it is just amazing. This is the sort of basement I aspire to achieve someday with my book collecting habits. Although I'll never come close, but one can try.

And you have made your basement into a work of art. The bookshelves, how everything is displayed and the scattered artwork throughout the room is just beautiful.

I also like that you collect other stuff besides King, the Straub, Dracula, Wilson, Charnel House books, etc... are all also very nice!

btw, I have never seen a set of the Charnel House Lettered Editions. Can I make a request to see those in a "close up" photo?
    Geoff

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This thread is now one of my favourites on the board. I agree with all the other sentiments here, your basement is really a work of art!

On a side note, as of now I have plans to attend the World Horror Convention in May - one of the guests of honor is F. Paul Wilson - feel free to send me a box of "to be signed" stuff. (I'll shoot you an email at the start of April once my plans have been confirmed).

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Bob. The full view of the long wall is spectacular. Probably the best yet. The desk and chairs fit perfectly. I could sit at that desk for days just gazing in wonder. Thanks for the pictures and descriptions.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Here are a couple of photos of the last wall in the basement's main room. In the center of the room is something I am really proud of. The desk and chairs are from my great uncle. He was a urologist and he practiced medicine from this desk for many years. When he died my great aunt gave it to me. I lugged it around for many years and many Army moves. When we settled here I found a wonderful furniture restorer/refinisher and he got it looking brand new.

^%$#@$ Bob, your KILLIN' me here Can't wait to see the pictures that go with your commentary AND to show my wife that I am not so strange after all. LOL

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

Ah, Bob, I will come take pictures for you if you want.
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

Default Bob's collection

Outstanding Bob, very impressive, it makes me feel better about all
    the auctions I've lost to you!
    I also have a basement collection and your photos give me some great
    ideas for layout.
    I've also got an antique roll-top desk that is an heirloom.
    Thanks for sharing.

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

bob... everytime i see your collection i am totally jaw dropping amazed..... and totally pissed off with jealousy.

you actually stunted my collecting a couple of years ago... before i first saw your collection, i had this unfounded grand fantasy of putting together the world's greatest privately held king collection in the world...outside of king's house.... and have spent tens of thousands of dollars over the past ten years working to get there...

THEN.... i saw your damned collection and realized i'd never come close- as long as you live... it is a futile pipe dream.... no matter how much money i poured into the dream. since then... i've curbed my buying 10 fold - so in a way you've saved me lots of money.

knowing that i'd never own the title... made me realize i'd have look to other methods to get into the guiness book - so i've revamped... chucked my king collection dreams... and started a rubberband ball....they're cheaper than rare books and art anyways.

so thanks a lot you damned dream bandit... and thanks for killing me with pics of your awesome basement - yet again...
    now hurry up and torture me with the pics of the "backroom"

waaaaaahhhhh

the least you could do is give me a tour some day.... i might forgive you then

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Boomme View Post
    since then... i've curbed my buying 10 fold - so in a way you've saved me lots of money.
    Terry,
    I'm glad I have helped.

As for the tour, I have invited you in the past. All you have to do is come. It would be a pleasure to show you around.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Great post, Terry.

Bob, thanks for posting that fourth wall. Again you amaze!

So does Hale give you a volume discount on the barrister bookshelves? You've clearly invested thousands in those alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

So does Hale give you a volume discount on the barrister bookshelves? You've clearly invested thousands in those alone!
    Unfortunately, no.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, they should.

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post

btw, I have never seen a set of the Charnel House Lettered Editions. Can I make a request to see those in a "close up" photo?
    I'll try. But they really don't look like much on the shelf and in their traycases. Still, here they are.

First picture - Books too tall to fit in the case. The Odd Thomas books (on the right), Koontz' FRANKENSTEIN (green traycase on the left) and the latest lettered THE DARKEST EVENING OF THE YEAR (because there is no room in the case for it).

Second picture - Lettered copies chronologically. I think Charnel has published 21 books to date (not counting THE REGULATORS). I bought a set of letter "C" books when there were only about six books published and have kept the matching set going.

Third picture - Numbered copies chronologically. I've got number "4" and am still keeping it current.

Gunslinger Apprentice Clacke will become famous soon enough Clacke's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow! An amazing Charnel House collection!! Thank you for showing those. I love the Charnel House stuff - some serious love goes into the production of those books.

Here are some photos of the "back room." It's about 10 feet x 14 feet. I'm not sure its original purpose but it has a couple of handy closets. I needed extra shelf space and hung a lot of those customizable shelfs by Elfa (I think that is the name).

It is very cluttered right now. Several paintings from upstairs are stored here while Christmas decorations take their place for a couple of months. Actually, it is always cluttered.

The first picture shows some standard furniture store syle bookcases. I've got a bunch of Koontz paperbacks, a bunch of King paperbacks, a decent Ray Garton collection and a bunch of Peter Straub anthology appearances in these. On the wall are Bernie Wrightson (THE STAND), J. K. Potter (SKELETON CREW) and Erik Wilson (LITTLE SISTERS OF ELURIA from LEGENDS) pieces. Cujo guitar leaning over on the right.

Here are a couple of photos of one of the walls.

The top three rows of shelves are all anthology appearances of King's fiction arranged chronologically. There are proofs, trades, signed copies, signed limiteds, etc. Starting on the top row with some 1978 anthologies and continuing to 2008 at the end of the third row. This is an area I work on a lot. Let's see: 14 feet times 3 is 42 linear feet of anthologies with King fiction in them!

As new books come in I lay them on top of other books roughly in the year that they belong. The way they are arranged I can't just slip them into the correct year because there is no extra room. When I get several I spend quite a while moving books to get them all in their proper place. You can see I am completely out of shelf space. I don't know what I will do in 2009.

The bottom shelf is the only one that can house oversized books. On this shelf are the "Doubleday files" (old publishing documents, letters, etc. from King's days at Doubleday), THE EYES OF THE DRAGON, FROM A BUICK 8, 'SALEM'S LOT, a complete (to date) collection of Centipede Press books (gosh, they keep getting bigger), CREEPSHOW, MY PRETTY PONY, etc., as well as stuff I keep in bigger folders like Comics Review, Stories of Suspense).

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow. Just when I think it can't get better, it does. Amazing. Two walls left!

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Here are a couple of photos of the opposite wall.

On the top shelf are Dean Koontz books starting with WATCHERS and continuing to the present. I had to pack away all my Clive Barker books (they took up almost a whole shelf in this room) to make room for King. I think old Dean will be the next to go to storage.

On the second shelf are King non-fiction anthology appearances (trades, proofs, S/L's, etc.). They continue and take up most all of the third shelf too. The last part of the third shelf is books about King. Books by Bev Vincent, Rocky Wood, Tyson Blue, etc.

The bottom shelf is magazines, journals. The first seven magazine holders are magazines, journals with King non-fiction appearances. Ranging from "King's Garbage Truck" in The Maine Campus newspaper to the present, arranged chronologically. The next seven holders are magazine style publications with interviews or articles about King. The last ten holders are for fiction. Starting with the Startling Mystery Stories and all the college stuff (ONAN, MOTH, UBRIS) and continuing to the present.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast