Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Collection: carlosdetweiller

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Default Book Collection: carlosdetweiller

As requested in a Calvin's Corner thread titled "Bookcases" here are some photos of my basement. My basement is pretty big, about 38 feet by 19 feet in the main area and a smaller room that is about 10 feet by 14 feet. As you will see it is pretty full of books.

Here is a photo of what I would call the "King wall." I'll post some closer pictures later.

The first bookcases house my King trade editions: starting with CARRIE in the top case of the second stack and going chronologically through JUST AFTER SUNSET. The top two cases of the second stack go through FIRESTARTER and then the sequencing goes to the top case of the first stack with some more FIRESTARTERs and goes left to right through the first three stacks. That's probably confusing but you can see what I mean, I think.

Also in the picture is John Stewart's painting of Nort the Weedeater that was used as the cover for the King issue of Whispers Magazine and an acrylic painting by Michael Whelan from DT 7. Rachel Readman's sculpture named "Constant Reader" and a traycase for "The New Lt's. Rap" manuscript are also there.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Starting with the case under the fake plant are King limiteds, starting with FIRESTARTER and occupying fully that stack and the next one. Also in the picture are a couple of paintings by Michael Whelan from DT1: The Gunslinger. Also in the picture are a painted resin model of Carrie, custom traycase for 'SALEM'S LOT with first state dj, a fake plant, custom traycase for THE PLANT, custom traycase for long galley proof of THE SHINING and another small Michael Whelan from DT 7.

The next tall stack and the shorter one next to it house UK editions (trade and limited). Above the shorter stack are another Whelan painting from DT1: The Gunslinger and painted resin models of Pennywise and a gothic vampire (it was supposed to be Barlow but I don't think it is).

The next tall stack is Dark Tower books and the last shorter stack is Richard Bachman books. Above that is a Wrightson painting from CYCLE OF THE WEREWOLF and a couple of vampire thingys.

You can sort of get a peek into the "back room" there to the right but that will have to wait for another day.

This shorter wall has my Charnel House books (lettered and numbered), Michael Crichton in the middle and the smaller of the Centipede/Millipede Press books on the right.

Above the bookcases are paintings by Don Maitz (DESPERATION), Rick Berry (reissued edition of THE TALISMAN), Phil Hale (INSOMNIA), Rick Berry (BLACK HOUSE), Rick Berry (reissued edition of THE TALISMAN) and Alan Clark.

And that'll do it for now. The other two walls and the "back room" as time allows.

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Only one word comes to mind: wow. I think since about the first week I was on this site I've dreamed of the day you would post more pictures of your collection, Bob.

Merry Early Christmas to us!

Vagrant Dead pickle is on a distinguished road pickle's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

WTF!!! Man you are now my hero lol

That is the best room i have ever seen. Just one question though, why do you have multiple copies of the same books? Is it just for the sake of having them or for a particular reason? For example in the first picture there is what looks like 4 copies of the stand that look exactly the same.
    ... From the keyboard of Kevin

"A gunslinger knows pride - that invisible bone that keeps the neck stiff."

"Officer Benzyck! It's good to see you and there's some jam right there on your collar, praise God!"- Rev. Earl Harrigan

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Your basement looks like the king of dream libraries... or heaven.

Roland would have understood.

Probably the least interesting is the back wall where there are some built in bookshelves, cabinets, etc. On the left: top row - miscellaneous hard to classify books (mostly trade editions), middle row - Signet/Plume DT books, proofs, etc., bottom row - later trade editions.

On the right: top two rows - all of George Beahm's books, bottom row - various reference books and some Carl Barks (Donald Duck, Uncle Scrooge) books.

On the shelf is the computer where I spend WAY too much time looking for books to buy and talking to you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by pickle View Post
    Just one question though, why do you have multiple copies of the same books? Is it just for the sake of having them or for a particular reason? For example in the first picture there is what looks like 4 copies of the stand that look exactly the same.
    You know, when I first started collecting King all I wanted was a "hardback" edition of each of his books. I didn't know much about first editions, limited editions, proofs, etc. What you see is the result of 25 years of collecting. In the case of the early Doubleday books I do have multiple copies of each. Some are signed or inscribed, some are review copies, some are just regular trade editions. It is also hard for me to pass up what I think is a bargain. Over the years I have seen many books on ABE and eBay that were selling at a fraction of their worth. I bought them and just stuck them on the shelf with the others.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Simply amazing! What an incredible collection you've built, Bob. Truly spectacular. Outstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    On the shelf is the computer where I spend WAY too much time looking for books to buy and talking to you guys.
    If I had a basement like yours, I'd spend every free minute down there too!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Bookshelf question for you, Bob:

Do those shelves have room enough to stand up your taller collectible books? I'm thinking of MY PRETTY PONY, 'SALEM'S LOT S/L, EOTD S/L, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

Do those shelves have room enough to stand up your taller collectible books? I'm thinking of MY PRETTY PONY, 'SALEM'S LOT S/L, EOTD S/L, etc.
    No. They have about 12" of vertical space. I can get the S/L SKELETON CREW and CYCLE OF THE WEREWOLF in them but the others are in the "back room."

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

No. They have about 12" of vertical space. I can get the S/L SKELETON CREW and CYCLE OF THE WEREWOLF in them but the others are in the "back room."
    Thanks. Can't wait to see the back room!

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm dumbfounded at what I'm seeing here, Bob. An absolutely amazing collection with phenominal presentation. The "back room" most definitely has my curiousity piqued - especially with the two glimpses I can see in what you've already posted.

Do you have a spare room you'd consider renting out?

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

With 12" on the inside, are your shelves the 13 1/8" units or the 15 1/8" units?

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Demon of the Prim Tatts4Life will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Oh man those pictures are awesome. I love how you set up your basement.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

That's exactly what I was going to ask, Gretchen.

Quote Originally Posted by gsvec View Post
    With 12" on the inside, are your shelves the 13 1/8" units or the 15 1/8" units?
    Mine measure about 14 and 1/4" tall on the outside. Standard depth.

Here is the page with my model #314.

http://www.bluehen.com/hale-barriste...l#description1

Gunslinger Apprentice blg is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Absolutely amazing collection!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Bob, I remember seeing these in the other site. They never cease to amaze me!

John

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

And it will all be mine when Daddy goes to the clearing at the end of the path!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerak View Post
    And it will all be mine when Daddy goes to the clearing at the end of the path!
    gsvec is asking about renting your room. What do you think?

Gunslinger Apprentice bast_imret is on a distinguished road bast_imret's Avatar

Wow. I knew you had a mighty impressive collection, Bob, but seeing it all there together in those beautiful bookshelves, and with the original Whelan DT art, and the accent lighting . . . words escape me.

Very nice

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Very impressive Bob. Thanks for sharing your rooms with us. Your choice of bookshelves compliment the rest of the décor, and the paintings/frames fit in well.

Your pictures have given me some ideas, and also changed my mind about some ideas I had for my collection. I would have stacked mine 5 high all along the wall, but now I can see that would be wrong. The 3 high ones leave room to display the “special items” at the correct height to view them properly.

I never thought to display my proofs alongside the trade editions. It seems to work quite well in your display. Maybe it works better because you have several copies of the same book together. (I only have one copy of each book)

We all know this is only part of your superb collection, and look forward to a glimpse into the “back room”, and the fourth wall. I bet you have the same problem as the rest of us. What do we do with the magazines and college stuff? Are your slipcased manuscripts in there as well?

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH. I cannot see Bob's pictures from my work computer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I have to wait the whole day, just knowing they are posted and I can't see them.

<Uh, Boss, I'm not feeling too well. Can I go home early?>

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast