Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Bookcases

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Pablo, congratulations on your purchase! I'm so glad that 15% discount coupon worked - it must have saved you a bundle if you ordered two of these.

In regards to assembly, aside from that door defect, my one issue was with the cam nuts (or whatever they're called). The ones that came with that big ol' bookcase were weak - a couple even broke when I was tightening them up. I was able to purchase more at Home Depot for under $4, and they were much higher quality. If I had to do the whole thing over again, I would go to Home Depot first and buy the better connectors for the whole job. They worked much better, smoother and stronger.

Lophophoras, yes, they are adjustable. However rather than have the long lines of holes an inch or so close together the entire height of the bookshelf, each shelf "area" has 3 or 4 holes about 3 inches apart. I wanted a couple shelves in slightly different heights than designated, so I added some holes with my drill.

By the way, my new door apparently shipped yesterday. Finally!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, I could have sworn my cam nuts were metal. I'm not taking the thing apart to find out, however.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Patrick....I've outgrown my SK case, so am looking for something larger. When I get in the market, I'll be going with something similar to yours (or RF's).

They look awesome!!!!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Those HomeDecorators bookcases are excellent, IMHO. If you are seriously considering them, the next time I get a discount coupon, I'll send it to you.

I've bought around $2000 in furniture from them in the last 2 years, so they do occasionally send me goodies.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Awesome, Daggers!!!! You'll get a PM as soon as I get the gumption to order!!!

Oh, and with my bookcases, the camlocks were of some sort of metal as well. Patrick...what were yours made of????

Maybe you just need to NOT eat spinach before assembling furniture!!!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

LOL!

If I get another one, Needful, I'll send it off to you. I'm done with my house for a few years, so someone might as well take advantage of it!

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Pablo, congratulations on your purchase! I'm so glad that 15% discount coupon worked - it must have saved you a bundle if you ordered two of these.

In regards to assembly, aside from that door defect, my one issue was with the cam nuts (or whatever they're called). The ones that came with that big ol' bookcase were weak - a couple even broke when I was tightening them up. I was able to purchase more at Home Depot for under $4, and they were much higher quality. If I had to do the whole thing over again, I would go to Home Depot first and buy the better connectors for the whole job. They worked much better, smoother and stronger.

Lophophoras, yes, they are adjustable. However rather than have the long lines of holes an inch or so close together the entire height of the bookshelf, each shelf "area" has 3 or 4 holes about 3 inches apart. I wanted a couple shelves in slightly different heights than designated, so I added some holes with my drill.

By the way, my new door apparently shipped yesterday. Finally!

I live alone in a three bedroom home and I am planning on turning one of the spares into a office. I am in the process of looking for glassed in bookcases and I really do like their selections.

I may have to send some business their way.

Thanks!

Life is a garden...dig it!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Awesome, lophophoras - a library/study would be sweet!

Thanks, Bill. I like the bookcase a lot.

When you two decide to buy from that site, be sure to find a discount coupon or ask in this thread since so many get their catalogs.

By the way, the cam nuts were metal- but they were cheap and lousy. They probably would have been fine on a smaller bookcase but on a 72" high x 48" wide one, they just weren't cutting it. Maybe the manufacturer changed cam nut brands to cut costs, I don't know. In any case, the four bucks at Home Depot for good ones was very well spent.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My two bookcases arrived yesterday! Everything's assembled, and I'll post pics when I've filled one with my King books and others (the second one is not for them).

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Great, Pablo. I look forward to seeing them.
    My replacement door arrived on Friday and I installed it over the weekend.

Country
    Country Flag

Pics of your case when you get done will be great too, Patrick. And I've taken note of the cam idea. Thankee sai!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Sure, Bill. I may wait to take pics until LSOE is on the shelf though.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here is a pic of my only glassed bookcase :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34875818@N07/3238291513/

It is stuffed so full the shelves are starting to bow.

I have a ton of stuff stored in the empty spare bedroom in storage containers. The same room I plan on converting to a study/office this year.

It is time for new bookcases...

Life is a garden...dig it!

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I see some of my favorites there on your shelves. Very nice collection!

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

M-O-O-N Chooch is on a distinguished road Chooch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If anyone has no more need for a coupon I could use it. Wife said I needed a new one and I like the one Patrick has.
    If it weren't for integrity...what would you be? Ka is a wheel.....

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
    If anyone has no more need for a coupon I could use it. Wife said I needed a new one and I like the one Patrick has.
    Hey Chooch, the coupon codes seem to be reusable. I PM'ed Pablo the code I used and it worked fine for him. I'll find that PM and forward it to you. The only hitch may be that it has expired. If you use it, let us know if it works. If not, we can always find more coupon codes.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

So I am ashamed to admit this, but my collection is scattered about my home (which is why you never see me posting pictures of my collection as a whole...only bits and pieces).

Stuffed into cabinets, shelves, boxes, and every nook and cranny conceivable.

I have decided to get off my ass and purchase a nice bookcase.

What do you guys think of these:

Barrister Bookcase - Mission 5-Stack

They are located about an hour from me. Current price $750. Their customer service people told me I would get a 10% discount if I bought two.

They are out of stock, and need 4-6 weeks to make them.

Solid wood except for the back. Check out the YOUTUBE video.

Anyone done business with this outfit before?

Thoughts? Opinions?
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Opinion:
    • Don't know the company so cannot comment on them and their reputation.
    • Were I to buy the case, I would not want the extra woodwork lattice on the top-it just impedes viewing.
    • Keep in mind that the door raises and slides back. This limits your internal height and also means the shelves cannot be adjusted for tall books. This is OK if you simply want to fill the case with standard trade size books.
    • For extra nice presentation you might want to add a light strip, this is tougher with the way the doors raise and tuck back.
    • $750 is a lot of money.
    • I like the fact the sides are flush.
    • If you want to mount flush to the wall, Ikea offers cheaper alternatives (granted not primarily Oak).

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

It looks nice, but $750 seems a little steep to me, too. Have you tried Home Decorators?

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Guys,

Thanks for your opinions!

I am on the fence about the lattice on the top...I agree it would impede viewing...but I guess the idea is it makes it look "fancy".

I don't know what the internal height would be once the door is fliiped up. Need to ask.

I would be hesitant to add a light strip as this may cause colors to fade????

Regarding the $750 price....with the 10% discount it would be $675. I think this is a resonable price for solid wood furniture.

carlosdetweiller mentioned he used Hale Barrister Bookcases from Blue Hen (which seem comparable) and their four stack cabinet (one stack less than the one I listed above) runs $888.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, yeah, solid wood would be expensive.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    Guys,

Thanks for your opinions!

I am on the fence about the lattice on the top...I agree it would impede viewing...but I guess the idea is it makes it look "fancy".

I don't know what the internal height would be once the door is fliiped up. Need to ask.

I would be hesitant to add a light strip as this may cause colors to fade????

Regarding the $750 price....with the 10% discount it would be $675. I think this is a resonable price for solid wood furniture.

carlosdetweiler mentioned he used Hale Barrister Bookcases from Blue Hen and their four stack cabinet runs $888
    • I am sure internal height would accommodate standard trade height books.
    • The lighting would not be on 100% of the time-in fact ONLY when you wish to accentuate the look. I have lights on all my cases, connected to a rheostat and can, and only, will light them for specific situations. I may "light" my books 1-4 hours per annum- not too much to worry about-unless I live to be 200

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Rick, the bookshelf is very nice. If I were to buy one I would get the 5-stack that you mention and is shown in the picture, rather than the 4-stack shown on the video (i.e. I agree with you). As you may know from earlier in this thread, I gave a lot of consideration to the barrister bookcases from Blue Hen. I finally decided against, partially because of cost, but mainly because of the fixed height of every shelf. I didn't want to spend that kind of money and still have nowhere to properly display my taller S/Ls. I'd say go for it if that's not an issue for you, otherwise consider something with adjustable shelves so you can set one shelf for the tall books.

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Patrick.

I like the Blue Hen cases, but they are even more expensive than the ones I am considering, and as far as I can tell, the tallest they make them is four-stack instead of five.

I also like the case you have as well.

Arghhhh. Decisions Decisions.

I like your new signature. I am a fellow Lostie as well.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    Thanks Patrick.

I like the Blue Hen cases, but they are even more expensive than the ones I am considering, and as far as I can tell, the tallest they make them is four-stack instead of five.

I also like the case you have as well.

Arghhhh. Decisions Decisions.

I like your new signature. I am a fellow Lostie as well.
    With the Hale cases you buy the shelves individually so you can, theoretically, stack them as high as you want. You are limited only by the height of your ceilings. Five is as high as I can go.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast