Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 48 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1181

Thread: Bookcases

Gunslinger Apprentice knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Very nice, indeed! Congratulations!
    Thanks, I'm pretty happy with it and fortunately my wife likes it too.
    Seeking:

Suntup Misery Lettered + Rights
    Suntup Shining 1st Paperback Large Art Print

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Cool looking case!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

For some time now I've been hunting for a nice antique barristers bookcase, preferably a "Globe Wernicke" or "Prestonia" if I could find one, but I've been on a real budget so it's made for a long and mostly fruitless hunt until recently. Earlier this year I managed to find and buy an inexpensive small modular 2 shelf unit, but the lower shelf glass was smashed and the feet and topper were in rough condition. I've since had the glass replaced and was considering refinishing the bookcase, all the while hunting for a nicer and taller unit.

Well I lucked out recently and found a similar 3 stack unit in much nicer condition, and after picking it up I realized that it was in fact an even older (but identical) model unit to the small bookcase I had...

A little bit of experimenting later, and voila - they actually were compatible with one another,
    so I've "built" this:

*Reflection of my father, who is storing this for me while I figure out where to put it.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, that's a beauty. Congratulations!
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

That's a stand-up bookcase.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Room 217 Caretaker View Post
    Yes, that's a beauty. Congratulations!
    Thank you! I'm really over the moon about it.

It wont fit the whole collection mind you, but it's a nice upgrade from a Billy Bookcase

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nice! I only need 4 or 5 more cases to house what I currently have. That's not counting pre-orders.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Nice! I only need 4 or 5 more cases to house what I currently have. That's not counting pre-orders.
    Ruuuuub it in why dontcha

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SystemCrashOverRide View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Ruuuuub it in why dontcha
    I know

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

For some time now I've been hunting for a nice antique barristers bookcase, preferably a "Globe Wernicke" or "Prestonia" if I could find one, but I've been on a real budget so it's made for a long and mostly fruitless hunt until recently. Earlier this year I managed to find and buy an inexpensive small modular 2 shelf unit, but the lower shelf glass was smashed and the feet and topper were in rough condition. I've since had the glass replaced and was considering refinishing the bookcase, all the while hunting for a nicer and taller unit.

Well I lucked out recently and found a similar 3 stack unit in much nicer condition, and after picking it up I realized that it was in fact an even older (but identical) model unit to the small bookcase I had...

A little bit of experimenting later, and voila - they actually were compatible with one another,
    so I've "built" this:

*Reflection of my father, who is storing this for me while I figure out where to put it.

Beautiful! Absolutely beautiful. Although they don't fit the larger books, I think this style of bookcase is just top notch.

I'm not sure who it was here - I think it was Becca - where I first saw the books placed at the front edge, very close to the glass. I thought it was such a cool look and did the same with mine. I love the result. Just a thought!

Congrats!

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post

so I've "built" this:

Beautiful! Absolutely beautiful. Although they don't fit the larger books, I think this style of bookcase is just top notch.

I'm not sure who it was here - I think it was Becca - where I first saw the books placed at the front edge, very close to the glass. I thought it was such a cool look and did the same with mine. I love the result. Just a thought!

Congrats!
    Do you guys tint the glass doors? Thoughts on glass being occasionally worse then no glass? I posted mine a while back but I did a dyi tint.

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
    Dead Zone 1st Edition F/F or NF/NF
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post
    Do you guys tint the glass doors? Thoughts on glass being occasionally worse then no glass? I posted mine a while back but I did a dyi tint.
    It seems to me that the only time glass would be worse than no glass would be if the case was in direct sunlight, which it should not be in any case. The glass limits dust and other airborne contaminants.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Country
    Country Flag

A number of people have said something along the lines of "Barrister's wont fit large books" but my bottom shelves are 15" high. Less the room it takes for the glass doors to roll back and I should still have 12 1/2" or so - not many books taller than that in my collection maybe "My Pretty Pony", but not many others.

Thanks to all who've said nice things. I cant wait to get it cleaned up and loaded full of books - I'll certainly try positioning the books a few different ways and see what looks best. Hopefully I'll have some more photos to share once I've found someplace to put it, and have populated it to my liking.

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

Looks superb and as you correctly say it will house all but a very few of the King collectibles.
    Very impressed.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very nice. Good job!

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Without reading through this entire thread, any suggestion for barrister style case or any bookcase with glass door that's not IKEA? I'm thinking of adding another case to a guest room. About 32'-36' width. If it's lockable, even better! Running out of room!
    WANTED:

Lettered Danse Macabre
    Marshroots
    Lettered Eyes Of The Dragon
    Lettered The Stand
    BOMC signed Full Dark No Stars
    MM AGOT #249
    Lettered Frankenstein

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

As soon as I get some money in the bank, I am going to order this Sauder bookcase from Amazon. Despite the somewhat bad review of it. I have bought many Sauder bookcases and never had any problems assembling them. I recently took an older TV out of my living room and this will fit perfectly in the empty spot and give me some much needed room. I'll take some before and after pictures when I do it.

https://www.amazon.com/Sauder-422790...MJXRZ5ZEBDKWV1
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

Country
    Country Flag

Well, when it rains - it pours. I have another barrister inbound. I should have it picked up with photos to share by Tuesday.

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    As soon as I get some money in the bank, I am going to order this Sauder bookcase from Amazon. Despite the somewhat bad review of it. I have bought many Sauder bookcases and never had any problems assembling them. I recently took an older TV out of my living room and this will fit perfectly in the empty spot and give me some much needed room. I'll take some before and after pictures when I do it.

Would love to see pictures of it when you get it.

I was thinking of this too. But it's 100% metal, might look too industrial in a home. More for office, hospital and such. But for sure secure. Sold by other retailers too.

https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Sofa-.../dp/B00J8MO8FO

There's a couple from Wayfair too that looks promising

https://www.wayfair.com/keyword.php?...true&class_id=

What do you guys think?
    WANTED:

Lettered Danse Macabre
    Marshroots
    Lettered Eyes Of The Dragon
    Lettered The Stand
    BOMC signed Full Dark No Stars
    MM AGOT #249
    Lettered Frankenstein

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Fsmdr View Post

I was thinking of this too. But it's 100% metal, might look too industrial in a home. More for office, hospital and such. But for sure secure. Sold by other retailers too.

What do you guys think?
    I have a couple of the metal ones and I love them they do look industrial but I still use them in my bedroom.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Fsmdr View Post

What do you guys think?
    I like the one first pictured in the wayfair link. I have a couple that look like that and really like the darker finish.

I always go for the dark wood finish.

Country
    Country Flag

Looks like the jump in price is single units with multiple shelves vs. Modular units, where each shelf is a section - that price jump is steep.

Country
    Country Flag

Looks like the jump in price is single units with multiple shelves vs. Modular units, where each shelf is a section - that price jump is steep.
    The single unit is a case. The modular unit is a case. There are more materials and labor involved to fill the same space using four modular cases compared to a single larger case.

I really like the the modular system though. Having multiple cases makes the whole assembly very much stronger. It also allows for a shorter stack with a countertop or a floating stack without a base.

Gunslinger Apprentice M_O_O_N has a little shameless behaviour in the past M_O_O_N's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

For those interested in bookcases keep an eye out at www.estatesales.net in your local areas.

Here is a local sale listing near me with several bookcases. https://www.estatesales.net/WA/Seattle/98103/2380689

On a related note keep an eye out on the books IN the bookcases/bookshelves. I picked up a first edition of IT last Friday for $2.
    There are no coincidences. Only Ka.
    ~I don't like rep points! ~
    Please use only the 'I disapprove' option for me. (If it do ya fine.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 48 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast