Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Bookcases

Demon of the Prim Tatts4Life will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    My wife and I built ours, but these are meant to be permanent, not movable.

Our Library

Ignore the fact that it's not completely painted at this point. I did the construction. My wife stained and finished them.

When I first saw this picture I was wondering why there was that paint smudge in the middle of the ceiling. That's an awesome library. I was watching some show a few months back that showed a bunch of houses that had secret rooms. They followed a company around as they showed some of there work from the simple stuff. To big projects that used magnets on chess pieces that when moved in a certain way opened the door. You said you did all the work yourself Gris?

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My wife and I together. I did the construction aspects, cutting, measuring (in that order), nailing, etc. She did the staining and such. I'm a computer dork by trade, but have always been someone to rip something apart and try to put it back together. The two of them together did a good of removing the fear associated with all aspects of construction from electrical systems to power tools. Once you are not scared of trying, it's just a matter of imagination, trial & error, and motivation.

That "line" in the ceiling at the top was a pain. The floor is a "Hand Scraped" oak from Home Depot. Problem with hand scraped is that it has lots of "waviness" and is not smooth. I had to sand down one piece in the middle of the balcony and restain it because it was causing the casters under the secret door to raise up just a hair and scrape the ceiling.
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

Demon of the Prim Tatts4Life will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

That's pretty cool. Being able to do things on your own all ways makes the end product that much better. My wife is all ways looking for her dream house and I'm looking at the pictures thinking " How can I get a theater system to work in that room, or wouldn't that be cool to have a secret door to the master bedroom or someplace?"

Sucks about the floor but at least you were able to fix it.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Today I ordered this one:

Oxford 48"W Six-Shelf Bookcase with Glass Doors
    Finish: Honey
    Expected Ship Date: 01/07/09

A couple boxes arrived on Friday while I was at work - only two days after they shipped it.

"Some assembly required."

When I unpacked the boxes on Friday night after work, I noticed a problem, a crack in the frame of one of the doors.

This is the interior side of the subject door:

Then I turned it to see if the crack goes through to the exterior side. Adding insult to injury, I find a patch job, presumably done back at the factory.

No way this is acceptable on a new purchase, even if it weren't also cracked, especially since it is on the exterior where it would be most visible.

So I filled out their online form requesting they ship a new door, and offering to email them photos. We'll see how they respond.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Man, sorry Patrick. What an unfortunate headache!

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Patrick I am sure they will replace it right away, I am surprised I got 6 bookcases and no damage even though one of the boxes was in such bad shape it looked like the delivery truck ran over it, still it was ok.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Today I ordered this one:

Oxford 48"W Six-Shelf Bookcase with Glass Doors
    Finish: Honey
    Expected Ship Date: 01/07/09

Coincidentally my wife received a catalog from that website recently and she had a promo code for 15% off - saved almost $72 on this purchase.

Can't wait to get it! Thanks, Dave, for all your information. Thanks, Bob and everyone else for sharing theirs as well.

I didn't start this thread, so thanks also to Pablo for putting the idea in my head that I need a real bookcase.

Who's next?
    Would it be possible to share that coupon? I think I may have found the bookcase for me

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Pablo, next time I get a Home Decorators coupon in the mail, I'll PM you the discount code. I tend to get them a LOT (now watch, I won't see anther one for months since I've said that!).

Oh, and Patrick, I've dealt with their return department before, and I've never had any problems.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Wiz, Dave, and Daghain. You guys are correct, they seem to be on it. I received an email from the company today, asking for more information, and offering me a partial refund ($63) or a store credit ($85) if I wanted to keep the door as-is. I replied with photos and asked them to just send me a new door.

Pablo, it sounds like Daghain is hooking you up. If you still need a discount coupon, shoot me a PM and I'll find a code at home. I found the "15% off" coupon code that I used and sent you a PM. Let us know if it still works. If not, one of us will find another code for some kind of discount.
    Last edited by Patrick; 01-11-2009 at 12:58 PM. Reason: PM sent
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Anyway... I went ahead and assembled the rest of the bookcase. I'm happy with it, despite the issue discussed above.

Here it is so far - mostly loaded up, but not completely yet (first editions, etc.). Just pretend it has the other door.

Man, a 48" wide bookcase sure holds a lot.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I think those are the same brand I have, only mine are black and don't have the door.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks guys! I'll probably order one this week, so I'll let you know if the coupon works. It's a great-looking bookcase and spacious too! Drool...

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Anyway... I went ahead and assembled the rest of the bookcase. I'm happy with it, despite the issue discussed above.

Here it is so far - mostly loaded up, but not completely yet (first editions, etc.). Just pretend it has the other door.

Enjoy the space while you can! It will fill up fast!!!!!!!!!!

Nice case, Patrick. Good luck with Door #2.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Daghain, maybe they are the same as yours, we know they're the same as Dave's. And soon maybe they'll be the same as Pablo's.

Bill, you're right, it is filling up quickly. I've got other King books that won't be making it into the new bookcase. However this is the first time that I've been able to see all this at once, and I love it. Until now it was "some here, some back here," etc. To maximize use of space, I abandoned the idea of having completely separate shelves for major authors, and instead grouped books by height. Also I drilled two more sets of four shelf peg holes to get some shelves in proper place without wasting lots of overhead space. The 'Salem's Lot aftermarket traycase was the major catalyst for that task.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, now that's a good idea. I hadn't thought of making more holes. Those shelves come in so many styles (glass door, no door, solid door) and colors that the possibilities are endless!

I do love mine. I have two that are about half the size of yours (they fit on either side of the bedroom window) and they do hold a lot - I got a huge (7' x 5') media shelf for my paperbacks, as they are about the same depth as a DVD so the shelf doesn't take so much space up in the room (and, my paperbacks far outnumber my hardbacks) so I think I'm good for a couple more years.

Citizen of Gilead LostAlivE will become famous soon enough LostAlivE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I like the Mission-Style 6 shelf bookcase with sliding glass doors.
    I would put a pic of it but have no idea of how to do that.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by LostAlivE View Post
    I like the Mission-Style 6 shelf bookcase with sliding glass doors.
    I would put a pic of it but have no idea of how to do that.
    Those sliding glass door bookcases do look nice, and the site is certainly spotlighting them, however it seemed like the consumer reviews linked at the bottom of the page reflected that people were having a lot of problems with the sliders.

Link

Citizen of Gilead LostAlivE will become famous soon enough LostAlivE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thank you Patrick

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tatts4Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    My wife and I built ours, but these are meant to be permanent, not movable.

Our Library

Ignore the fact that it's not completely painted at this point. I did the construction. My wife stained and finished them.

When I first saw this picture I was wondering why there was that paint smudge in the middle of the ceiling. That's an awesome library. I was watching some show a few months back that showed a bunch of houses that had secret rooms. They followed a company around as they showed some of there work from the simple stuff. To big projects that used magnets on chess pieces that when moved in a certain way opened the door. You said you did all the work yourself Gris?
    Okay, I saw this at your site and had to comment on the mini-spiral stairs for getting to the higher shelves. That thing rocks and makes me want to buy a tall book case, so I have the need for one!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice site. Nice collection!

Country
    Country Flag

haha. I got that for my wife on eBay. I can reach the top shelf, but she's only 5' 3", so needs help.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wood-Library-Spi...%3A1|294%3A200
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

ok gris.... i'm still impressed with your library..... BUT!

your books that are leaning are killing me! that's a great way to ruin a book...especially one as thick as "It".

once a book develops "spine lean",there's pretty much no way to fix it.

all that time/money on such a beautiful library, you can afford to buy some heavy book ends and stand your books upright. you killin' me.

Country
    Country Flag

I'll fix up the rest but the SK section is moot. THe books are all upright now as I have no more room to add any.

That whole middle column is now full from top to bottom and side to side of various SK items. No more leans there.
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher

My Collection

Country
    Country Flag

Placed an order for that bookcase with a coupon thanks to Patrick. Actually, ordered a pair of the six-shelf 48". Assembling them should be a bitch, though worth it.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I didn't find it too hard to put them together - it's a lot easier than you think.

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Patrick,

Are the shelves adjustable?

Life is a garden...dig it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast