Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 48 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 ... LastLast

Thread: Bookcases

Citizen of Gilead AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    That's what I have in my office if you look in my collection thread at the end. The hardest part is the corner piece. I recommend keeping all shelves out of the cases until you get them all up. you will have to move them around a lot until you get that corner perfect. Also if you are putting them on carpet I recommend not doing the top screws into the wall until the end. they will slowly sink with the weight of the books and push down in to the carpet padding causing the top to pull down on tat screw and you will have to adjust it again. Other than that they are a sold set that I think look great.
    Good tip! I had a feeling the corner would be the issue. Just looked at yours and it looks great, though I think you have an extra piece on the right side I won't have.

This is going to more than double the space I have for books. The room the boss designated as where they can all go is only 10x10 and is also where the family computer goes, so space is limited, but this will be huge for me.

Gunslinger Apprentice brionen has a spectacular aura about brionen has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AstroDad View Post
    That's what I have in my office if you look in my collection thread at the end. The hardest part is the corner piece. I recommend keeping all shelves out of the cases until you get them all up. you will have to move them around a lot until you get that corner perfect. Also if you are putting them on carpet I recommend not doing the top screws into the wall until the end. they will slowly sink with the weight of the books and push down in to the carpet padding causing the top to pull down on tat screw and you will have to adjust it again. Other than that they are a sold set that I think look great.
    Good tip! I had a feeling the corner would be the issue. Just looked at yours and it looks great, though I think you have an extra piece on the right side I won't have.
    They sell a bracket now that helps you align the corner pieces. They have guides that the bottom of the cases sit into, so it creates a consistent angle and so the fronts of the cases fit closely to look seamless. In my old house, it was a pain to get the corner lined up, so when we recently moved, I bought one. I ended up not using it, because I started from one side wall, so by the time I got to the corner, the angle would not have allowed the cases coming out the other side to touch the wall, so I went back to manually aligning them. The bracket would be very helpful if you start building from the corner, or if your room is the perfect dimensions for the number of cases you have.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by brionen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AstroDad View Post
    They sell a bracket now that helps you align the corner pieces. They have guides that the bottom of the cases sit into, so it creates a consistent angle and so the fronts of the cases fit closely to look seamless. In my old house, it was a pain to get the corner lined up, so when we recently moved, I bought one. I ended up not using it, because I started from one side wall, so by the time I got to the corner, the angle would not have allowed the cases coming out the other side to touch the wall, so I went back to manually aligning them. The bracket would be very helpful if you start building from the corner, or if your room is the perfect dimensions for the number of cases you have.
    I have the bracket as well but if you start from the corner it's a lot of guess work. The corner shelf doesn't touch the wall at all. Actually I just measured my corner and you should have a 22" square for the corner. IE set up the left large bookcase 22" from the corner and the bookcase right of the corner 22" as well so that there is a square left between them 22" on all sides. then the corner case should fit in nicely. Of course there might be tiny adjustments needed but that will get you much closer than just winging it like I did

Here is a photo. The tape measure is at 22"

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

don't be an idiot like me and pay attention to the finishing on the top and bottom and the middle shelf. The 3 pieces are close to the same, but with differences regarding what is finished and what isn't and maybe orientation of the holes. On my first shelf I put the piece intended to be the bottom in the middle, so now the underside is unfinished. Realistically its not a big deal, unless you are only 2 foot tall, then you will notice it. On my 3rd bookcase, I somehow managed to put in the bottom shelf in backwards, and now the the outwards facing side is unfinished, and is obvious if the doors are open, but hidden when they are closed.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

LOL

Do pay attention to the finished sides and edges.

I use a power tool with adjustable torque to screw in the pegs/studs. Don't overtorque them or you'll blow them out.

You might want to read the directions through completely before starting.

You'll need a fairly large clear area to build it.

Don't forget to mark the permanent shelf location on the rear of the sides. You need it to fasten the back.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I have this and love it. I agree with Josh, spend good time perfecting the corner piece positioning. Also, if you ever plan on adding the doors later (I recommend them - they look great and your books will benefit), the corner piece can't do a door. The doors also can't lock easily (drilling in cupboard key-locks tend to split the veneer). I've just had a mechanism made via 3D printing to lock these doors - once I install them I'll post my review here.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Silly (to some), but cheap...Secure the large pieces to studs in the wall. In California an earthquake could topple everything. Let alone some child somehow pulling the thing over.

$20 for peace of mind.
    http://www.safetycentral.com/fueafas...WSGxoCxm7w_wcB

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Silly (to some), but cheap...Secure the large pieces to studs in the wall. In California an earthquake could topple everything. Let alone some child somehow pulling the thing over.

$20 for peace of mind.
    http://www.safetycentral.com/fueafas...WSGxoCxm7w_wcB

+1 Definitely. These shelves need to be anchored to studs. Even without earthquakes, they're very shallow and will easily topple.

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    LOL

Do pay attention to the finished sides and edges.

I use a power tool with adjustable torque to screw in the pegs/studs. Don't overtorque them or you'll blow them out.

You might want to read the directions through completely before starting.

You'll need a fairly large clear area to build it.

Don't forget to mark the permanent shelf location on the rear of the sides. You need it to fasten the back.
    I agree with everything Br!an said. I did have a snafu with the top/bottom shelf finish, but corrected that. And partially blew out a peg stud. All in all, my first experience with Billys and I was impressed. The best thing is the single-wide case. I was able to pair that up with a standard one to fit perfectly.

Oh, and be ready to secure them to the wall as soon as they are assembled - especially if they have doors!!!

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Gunslinger Apprentice Papaseraphim will become famous soon enough Papaseraphim will become famous soon enough Papaseraphim's Avatar

Also depending on the wall one of these anchors:

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    The absence of a thing, this can be as deadly as the presence. The absence of air, eh?
    The absence of water? The absence of anything else we're addicted to.

- Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The straps are the best. They work on different cases, that may or may not be close enough to the wall to use the old fashioned L-bracket. Important thing is to attach them to stud (should be easy with a "stud finder" 'no jokes please') with just a very small amount of play.

Country
    Country Flag

Your photo reminded me. It is worth covering these triangular gaps at the top of the cases (I just used squares of plywood to rest over the top) because if anything falls back there, you'll have a hell of a time getting it again.

Citizen of Gilead AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Finally got this beast up and everything moved into it. Nice to be able to spread things out and display them rather than having everything crammed together. Took most of the weekend off and on to put it all together, anchor it, move everything, etc. You'll notice these giants almost touch my ceiling! I was so concerned making sure it would fit in the space I didn't even think to check the height lol. I only have 8 foot ceilings and completely overlooked how tall it would be with the extension. Almost had to leave them off. I had to get creative with only 3 inches of space up top to put the brackets on...no fun!

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

You must only have 8ft ceilings because the cases measure ~7'9" with the extensions. My office has 9' ceilings and there is plenty of room and in the living room with 10' ceilings I can put anything I want up there.

Yours came out amazing congrats! I wish I had fewer books now so that I can spread it out a little more like you did. I like how open you kept the bottom and middle section where you can fit the portfolio and My Pretty pony. I might have to get one more self just for displaying books like that!

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

You must only have 8ft ceilings because the cases measure ~7'9" with the extensions. My office has 9' ceilings and there is plenty of room and in the living room with 10' ceilings I can put anything I want up there.

Yours came out amazing congrats! I wish I had fewer books now so that I can spread it out a little more like you did. I like how open you kept the bottom and middle section where you can fit the portfolio and My Pretty pony. I might have to get one more self just for displaying books like that!
    Crap, you are right!

*fixed

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Ha I had the same problem at my old apt. There was crown molding in the room I made my office so I could never fit the extensions with it. Once again looks awesome!

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks very much. One of those projects that doesn't seem like it will take long until you start doing it.

As for being able to spread things out...don't get used to it lol. All that extra space is going to get filled quickly I am sure!

Country
    Country Flag

A few of us on here have got the IKEA Billy bookcases with the doors. For a while I've been searching for a way to lock these doors, primarily as a way to prevent them from being easily opened on the odd occasion (e.g., when we're hosting a party, etc). These Billy doors can't easily accommodate small cupboard locks inserted into the doors because (1) there's little surface area to work with around the door glass, and (2) the surface tends to split with drilling. Anyway, I finally found this hasp on a 3D printing store (Shapeways) and they do the trick really well. The padlock is a MasterLock 653D from Amazon.

https://www.shapeways.com/forum/t/pa...ss-door.26924/

You screw in the hasp base to the top of the bookcase and have a removable L-shape piece that is padlocked onto it and prevents the door from swinging opening. It's not for everyday locking (because it's cumbersome with the padlock on top of the case), nor will it stop an enthusiastic burglar (but what would on a bookcase?). But for those nights you're hosting a party and have a bunch of inebriated guests with BBQ-sauce fingers who want to check out your $50k King collection - they're perfect.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I've got a small area that can fit a book case, but it has to be no taller then my light switch. So it needs to be less then 51 inches tall*, and 32 inches wide. Does anybody have any recomdations? It would be placed to the left of 3 billy bookcases.

* Isn't 51 inches higher then code? I noticed when I moved to TX a year ago all the switches seemed high.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

A couple of my bookcases are 48" tall Mike, so I think you should be able to find something easily, plus they do sell cases 36" high as well. As for electrical code, I remember certain states were different with many things as were when things were built. In Ohio code for building walls had to be 51" high but many bungalows build before the 1970's had higher or lower then that 51"s. I don't have a tape measure on me to measure my switches.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    I've got a small area that can fit a book case, but it has to be no taller then my light switch. So it needs to be less then 51 inches tall*, and 32 inches wide. Does anybody have any recomdations? It would be placed to the left of 3 billy bookcases.

* Isn't 51 inches higher then code? I noticed when I moved to TX a year ago all the switches seemed high.

Thanks,
    Mike
    if you are interested in an alternative, these type of devices work pretty well and would allow you to pretty easily relocate your switch and get whatever size bookcase you want

Wireless Lights Switch Kit

Gunslinger Apprentice bugen will become famous soon enough bugen's Avatar

Lot of love for the Billy bookcases in this thread. Anybody have any issues that might give pause? I'm thinking of picking up a few.
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

bugensbooks.com

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bugen View Post
    Lot of love for the Billy bookcases in this thread. Anybody have any issues that might give pause? I'm thinking of picking up a few.
    I used to have a few, but could not sleep at night knowing I had "flatpack" items in my house!

Seriously, I thought the quality was quite poor and I got rid of mine and got "proper" wood ones.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bugen View Post
    I have one Billy Bookcase with glass doors. I only have regular first editions on the shelves, and after a few years, the shelves are holding up fine. I don't know if that would be true if I placed a lot of weight on the shelves. Since the shelves are not solid wood, they would most certainly begin to warp from excess weight. But for the $200 I paid for the case and the doors, it has done fine by me so far.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 48 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 ... LastLast