Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 48 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast

Thread: Bookcases

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

IKEA furniture is very simple to put together. It's all based around the same peg and locking pin concept. Once the pegs are screwed into place you simply put the sides together and lock with a single turn of a screwdriver.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have the black-brown Billy bookcases and they are lovely. This is an old picture (so few SK books then!), but you get the idea. The cool thing about the Billy Bookcases is they have been around for awhile, and the pieces can be mixed. Plus all the shelves but 1 is movable, so you can change the height.

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ooo...and I wanted to mention that I have instructions on how to take your Billy Bookcases and make them appear to be built-ins. Not too difficult either. As we are *hoping* to be moving soon, that is my plan for the new place.

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    Ooo...and I wanted to mention that I have instructions on how to take your Billy Bookcases and make them appear to be built-ins. Not too difficult either. As we are *hoping* to be moving soon, that is my plan for the new place.
    Now that is an amazing bookcase or bookcases!!! Dare I ask where to get those? You mentioned they have been around for awhile. I will now have to look those up. I'm jealous, that is for sure.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    Now that is an amazing bookcase or bookcases!!! Dare I ask where to get those? You mentioned they have been around for awhile. I will now have to look those up. I'm jealous, that is for sure.
    Found it. Ikea right? How sturdy are they?
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...08/#/S69020473
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Country
    Country Flag

I have 3 of those tall ones with the extensions and they are packed. No bowing shelves, no issues at all--although I will say the big books (like Knowing Darkness) are all on the bottom shelf. I haven't tried to move them yet, but my other IKEA bookshelves moved just fine when we bought this house. In addition to those 3 tall ones, I have 5 short ones. For the price, you really can't beat them.

My Mood
    Confused

I have 3 of those tall ones with the extensions and they are packed. No bowing shelves, no issues at all--although I will say the big books (like Knowing Darkness) are all on the bottom shelf. I haven't tried to move them yet, but my other IKEA bookshelves moved just fine when we bought this house. In addition to those 3 tall ones, I have 5 short ones. For the price, you really can't beat them.
    I saw the price of 619.00 and thought for how large it is, it seemed to be worth it like you said. Now you have me thinking as to buying one, and selling 2 smaller ones I refinished......Decisions!

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I have the black-brown Billy bookcases and they are lovely. This is an old picture (so few SK books then!), but you get the idea. The cool thing about the Billy Bookcases is they have been around for awhile, and the pieces can be mixed. Plus all the shelves but 1 is movable, so you can change the height.
    Hi dnemec,

Thanks for pointing out these can be mixed. I noticed the height extenders can be bought separately, but it seems when bought seperatly they do not come with doors, and I did not see the doors sold separately, did you get your doors by buying a bigger unit that contained the height extenders? Or did I just not see the doors listed? Do they just sit on top? Or do they need to be connected to the main unit, and if so, is it an issue doing so after the main unit is already built?

Are there any books that are too deep to fit on this?

Anybody out there with an interior decorator background with an opinion on whether black-brown or medium brown color would go better with this color:

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/p...=stone%20house

Thanks,
    Mike

My Mood
    Confused

@amd103, Mike. I'd go more for a hunter type green for those colored cases as they'd stand out. Sherwin Williams has a really cool color called popular gray, it's like a tan but a gray. If you already painted, then I'd go black brown. I was a union painter and also helped color coordinate a lot for work. Your house though, but dark brown with that tan. If you have a laptop and already painted try putting your screen against the wall with the dark brown case opened on your screen to get a sort of idea.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

BELGIUM SOLID OAK OVER 100 YEARS OLD. (PRE-KINGED)

KINGED CARRIE- TOMMYKNOCKERS.

TOMMYKNOCKERS-REVIVAL.

Citizen of Gilead burial will become famous soon enough burial will become famous soon enough burial's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    BELGIUM SOLID OAK OVER 100 YEARS OLD. (PRE-KINGED)
    KINGED CARRIE- TOMMYKNOCKERS.

wow...
    these books looks great in this bookcase
    Looking for:
    S/L: "Insomnia" (#117), "Firestarter", "EOTD #98"
    US 1st/1st: "Night Shift"
    Portfolios: "'Salem's Lot", "Cycle of Werewolf" (#192)
    please help me find any #731 or #431

My full Wanted List

Along the Path of the Beam Topo77 is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I must say that the Billy bookcases are good for their price the only problem that I have with them is that the shelves tend to bend. I solved the problem with the bending so that I put new wood supports in the middle of the shelves ( I bought additional shelves and cut them in half and put them middle of the shelves for additional support ).
    You can see my old billy bookcases on the photos now all my books are packed in carton boxes because I'm building a new house and I will have one room made in a home library with built in bookcases on all the walls of the room with one decorated stonewall with a fireplace ( my dream will come true or so I hope ).
    I will post some photos of my home library when is done but this will be next year.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    Hi dnemec,

Thanks for pointing out these can be mixed. I noticed the height extenders can be bought separately, but it seems when bought seperatly they do not come with doors, and I did not see the doors sold separately, did you get your doors by buying a bigger unit that contained the height extenders? Or did I just not see the doors listed? Do they just sit on top? Or do they need to be connected to the main unit, and if so, is it an issue doing so after the main unit is already built?

Are there any books that are too deep to fit on this?

Anybody out there with an interior decorator background with an opinion on whether black-brown or medium brown color would go better with this color:

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/p...=stone%20house

Thanks,
    Mike
    The extensions have their own separate doors, and are connected to the bookcase. I bought them all together and if memory serves me, the extension screws into the top of the bookshelf. It wasn't a big deal at all.

As for books being too deep, I've only had issues with 2, one of which was a King book--The Ghost Brothers of Darkland County. For the other one I bought one of THESE and displayed it. Problem solved!

Oh, and needfulthings? GORGEOUS BOOKCASE!!!!!!!!!

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

@amd103, Mike. I'd go more for a hunter type green for those colored cases as they'd stand out. Sherwin Williams has a really cool color called popular gray, it's like a tan but a gray. If you already painted, then I'd go black brown. I was a union painter and also helped color coordinate a lot for work. Your house though, but dark brown with that tan. If you have a laptop and already painted try putting your screen against the wall with the dark brown case opened on your screen to get a sort of idea.
    Thanks allasorte, I did in fact just paint about 2 weeks ago. So black-brown it is.

@needfulthings, where did you get the bookcase for Tommyknockers-Revival? Thought I remembered seeing that corner unit somewhere. I suspect its probably out of my price range, as it looks so nice! Is it real wood?

Quote Originally Posted by Topo77
    I must say that the Billy bookcases are good for their price the only problem that I have with them is that the shelves tend to bend. I solved the problem with the bending so that I put new wood supports in the middle of the shelves ( I bought additional shelves and cut them in half and put them middle of the shelves for additional support ).
    You can see my old billy bookcases on the photos now all my books are packed in carton boxes because I'm building a new house and I will have one room made in a home library with built in bookcases on all the walls of the room with one decorated stonewall with a fireplace ( my dream will come true or so I hope ).
    I am really surprised these shelves are bending, considering they are less then 16" wide. Are these pictures taken before the bending started? I don't really notice any bending. How long did you own it before you noticed the bending. I see a few cubes that appear to have a lot of extra weight, (3rd from the top, but that looks like a thicker shelf anyway.)

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec
    The extensions have their own separate doors, and are connected to the bookcase. I bought them all together and if memory serves me, the extension screws into the top of the bookshelf. It wasn't a big deal at all.

As for books being too deep, I've only had issues with 2, one of which was a King book--The Ghost Brothers of Darkland County. For the other one I bought one of THESE and displayed it. Problem solved!
    Ok, I just found the doors sold separately. $20 for the extension, and $25 for the door. Hmmm, hadn't considered GBoDC. Currently I have that stored with my CD collection, but I guess it makes sense to store with the King stuff.

Along the Path of the Beam Topo77 is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I am really surprised these shelves are bending, considering they are less then 16" wide. Are these pictures taken before the bending started? I don't really notice any bending. How long did you own it before you noticed the bending. I see a few cubes that appear to have a lot of extra weight, (3rd from the top, but that looks like a thicker shelf anyway.)
    No the photos that you see are already with the supports. I own them about four years but I noticed the bending already in the first year. Now when the shelves have the additional support there is no problem with the extra weight.
    If you intend to buy the single ones http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30279784/ there should be no problems but if you take that one http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40279788/ I think you will have some problem with shelves bending.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

@needfulthings, where did you get the bookcase for Tommyknockers-Revival? Thought I remembered seeing that corner unit somewhere. I suspect its probably out of my price range, as it looks so nice! Is it real wood?
    Yes it is real wood & I bought it at an auction.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Topo77 View Post
    If you intend to buy the single ones http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30279784/ there should be no problems but if you take that one http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40279788/ I think you will have some problem with shelves bending.
    Thanks for the clarification, that makes me feel better.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    Yes it is real wood & I bought it at an auction.
    Thanks, guess I won't be able to find another like it easily, so will go with the billy/oxberg from IKEA.

Thanks everyone for their replies.

Mike

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

One of our two new book cases that we put in last week:

My Mood
    Confused

Before we post a picture, can we view it like we are viewing it when people post pictures? Or as the person posting, like myself, only see the http file? Thanks.
    Also, amazing cases everyone....amazing!

My Mood
    Confused

OK. Apparently I wasn't copying image location, so I believe I figured it out. Not as large or as amazing as most of the cases people are posting, but these were refinished by me. Books have changed in some, but it's the idea of what I did. And yet they are tiny for others to view???????

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

OK. Apparently I wasn't copying image location, so I believe I figured it out. Not as large or as amazing as most of the cases people are posting, but these were refinished by me. Books have changed in some, but it's the idea of what I did. And yet they are tiny for others to view???????

"One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Gunslinger Apprentice ke7285 will become famous soon enough ke7285 will become famous soon enough ke7285's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Cit74 nice bookcase, I like the wrought iron rail look with the oak.

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ke7285 View Post
    Cit74 nice bookcase, I like the wrought iron rail look with the oak.
    My wife (and I) really liked the look - which made it easier to "convince" her we needed them - we have 3 similar pieces - wrought iron/wood - 2 are same size as one above - the third is slightly shorter but wider.

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ok, update on my Whelan Original Art NP&J;

Given the recent Interior Design trend of placing framed art either set-in OR affixed directly to bookshelves, I thought I would give it a try....

I placed it between the two #'d sets and the row of DT Trades, DT Editions w/Remarques, and Viking Re-issues/Grant Artist Editions (bottom shelf).

I think I like it....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 48 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast