Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 48 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 ... LastLast

Thread: Bookcases

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

I'm looking to replace mine soon with a collection of globe-wernickes. It's gonna be expensive but it will look so much better. Billy has been great in the meantime though.

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bugen View Post
    Lot of love for the Billy bookcases in this thread. Anybody have any issues that might give pause? I'm thinking of picking up a few.
    I have 3 tall Billy bookcases with extensions and glass doors that hold my collectibles. I also have another 2 tall and 3 short Billy bookcases in my living room with my "reading" books on them. I have had them for anywhere from 1 year to 8 years. I've had no issues with bowing at all. With the amount of books I have, I couldn't afford any big, beautiful custom-made cases (at least, not yet). These have done the job and I have no complaints.

Citizen of Gilead AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with what others are saying for the most part. The love for the Billy Bookcase is based on the bang for the buck aspect. They look great and you can't beat the price for both the size and the modular aspect of the whole line of Billy products to get it exactly right for the space you have.

That said, if I could afford real wood and still have the same size I would go that route, you can't beat real wood. I can't comment on the shelves holding the weight over time as I haven't had mine very long, but I would point out that I am pretty sure you can buy just the shelves if you need to replace them every few years and it is worth it to avoid buying/building a whole new unit.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I too have Billy bookcases and while I really like them 'bang-for-buck-wise', the shelves will sag a bit over time when fully 'loaded'. And unfortunately, the design does get tweaked by IKEA every now and then, such that new parts do not always match with old cases. But still a great buy if you wish to spend less on cases and more on books

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love my Billy's. For the heavier S/L's, I got the smaller width size Billy and I haven't noticed any sag but it's only been around 2 years... My main issue was with the locking of the doors, but now have this sorted (see up thread).

Gunslinger Apprentice bugen will become famous soon enough bugen's Avatar

Thank you guys for your comments.
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

bugensbooks.com

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm still partial to Ikea's Hemnes bookcases with glass doors.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Gunslinger Apprentice ke7285 will become famous soon enough ke7285 will become famous soon enough ke7285's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    I'm looking to replace mine soon with a collection of globe-wernickes. It's gonna be expensive but it will look so much better. Billy has been great in the meantime though.
    I own 2 Globe-wernickes both bought at garage/estate sale's for less than $100 for 4 stack's. I have 2 barrister's case's that are newer, also bought at garage/estate sales. I had 1 made out of quarter sawn oak and 2 stained glass windows for upper doors and antiqued glass for lower door's, use this for the signed limited, materials onlalone was near 1k brother-in law made for me for swap of labor.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Got a new bookcase and was able to get my whole Stephen King collection together in one place.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Looks good, Heather!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That looks fantastic. Love it. Dig the label holders too.
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I count 106 books and various periodicals.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    I count 106 books and various periodicals.
    There's also a few duplicate paperbacks hidden behind that I didn't have room for up front. Maybe I'll work on starting a collection thread. I've got 3 more bookcases of non-King books and quite a number of signed ones.

Did you guys notice the large photo on top of the bookcase? I came across it last summer in a store and couldn't pass it up

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I thought that was your graduating class.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Did you guys notice the large photo on top of the bookcase? I came across it last summer in a store and couldn't pass it up
    I "overlook'ed" it.
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nice set-up, Heather!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Love it, Heather! But my brain is hurting because I can't figure out the order of the books...

Thanks Ricky

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Love it, Heather! But my brain is hurting because I can't figure out the order of the books...
    Surprisingly there is a little bit of order The top left cube has my first edition Pet Semetary and my little paperback which was my first King book. Plus 2 of my signed King books. I just couldn't fit 11/22/63 up there with them. The cube next to it are my earlier King first editions. There's one that is filled with Richard Bachman books, and one with short stories/novellas. And down in the bottom I have a bunch of magazines and comics along with some books about King.

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinJack View Post
    I "overlook'ed" it.
    Haven't passed around enough rep to give you some, but you deserve it for that!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TravelinJack View Post
    I "overlook'ed" it.
    Haven't passed around enough rep to give you some, but you deserve it for that!!!

WTB:

Millionth Post Club racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The bookcase looks great. I spotted the photo and I love it.
    Perhaps I am simply a madman who dreamt of being sane for a little while.
    — Roland Deschain

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Looks great, Heather! Isn’t it gratifying to have them all in one place?
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Yes, it is They were scattered about amongst a few other bookcases or boxed up. I didn't realize how much I had until they were all together.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, it is They were scattered about amongst a few other bookcases or boxed up. I didn't realize how much I had until they were all together.
    I think a lot of us can relate to that!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 48 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 ... LastLast