Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 48 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1184

Thread: Bookcases

Gunslinger Apprentice knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    A few of us on here have got the IKEA Billy bookcases with the doors. For a while I've been searching for a way to lock these doors, primarily as a way to prevent them from being easily opened on the odd occasion (e.g., when we're hosting a party, etc). These Billy doors can't easily accommodate small cupboard locks inserted into the doors because (1) there's little surface area to work with around the door glass, and (2) the surface tends to split with drilling. Anyway, I finally found this hasp on a 3D printing store (Shapeways) and they do the trick really well. The padlock is a MasterLock 653D from Amazon.

https://www.shapeways.com/forum/t/pa...ss-door.26924/

You screw in the hasp base to the top of the bookcase and have a removable L-shape piece that is padlocked onto it and prevents the door from swinging opening. It's not for everyday locking (because it's cumbersome with the padlock on top of the case), nor will it stop an enthusiastic burglar (but what would on a bookcase?). But for those nights you're hosting a party and have a bunch of inebriated guests with BBQ-sauce fingers who want to check out your $50k King collection - they're perfect.

This is very smart...doing this....
    Seeking:

Suntup Misery Lettered + Rights
    Suntup Shining 1st Paperback Large Art Print

Gunslinger Apprentice knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I was thinking something like this...without the "Franklin Mint" on top...

Seeking:

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wolfehr View Post
    Ordered this last night. The cabinet dimensions are 40 inches (w) x 13.75 inches (d) x 13 inches (h). Excited for some stuff to come out of storage and have a proper home, some of my oversize books to shelves that fit them, and for all my books to finally be behind glass! Delivery is scheduled for next Friday.

Hey Wolfehr,

How did these turn out?
    Seeking:

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by knightmare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    Sell the kids? I hear the market is good at the moment.
    I'd think someone with a Tua avatar wouldn't hate kids, roll tide. My grandmother was the 1st female professor at UA.

Sorry, not a joking matter for me, most important and greatest thing that ever happened to me was the kids.

Anyway...back to what people like or have seen that they like. I'm not above going Ikea, but I do like to match the greatness of what is inside with what is holding them.
    I'm a cabinetman.

Ikea actually has some decent stuff. You will be hard pressed to find comps at the same price point. You might want to hire a professional to actually build and install the bookcases. You, or your hired professional, can add locks with no problem.

You can also replace the wood shelves with glass shelves and add LED lighting. Make sure to use shelf pins made for glass. (They have a rubber coating or sleeve.)
    Great points, and I am considering having our builder doing shelving in our library. It will all depend on pricing...and for the "library" I have some Ikea stuff that has been dependable to this point. I am considering something for display in the "great room", it's a massive room with vaulted ceilings and other than a piano there isn't much taking up space that could be used for an elegant design to show off what I'm really digging right now.

Thanks for your help.
    Seeking:

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    Sell the kids? I hear the market is good at the moment.
    I'd think someone with a Tua avatar wouldn't hate kids, roll tide. My grandmother was the 1st female professor at UA.

Sorry, not a joking matter for me, most important and greatest thing that ever happened to me was the kids.

Anyway...back to what people like or have seen that they like. I'm not above going Ikea, but I do like to match the greatness of what is inside with what is holding them.
    I'm a cabinetman.

Ikea actually has some decent stuff. You will be hard pressed to find comps at the same price point. You might want to hire a professional to actually build and install the bookcases. You, or your hired professional, can add locks with no problem.

You can also replace the wood shelves with glass shelves and add LED lighting. Make sure to use shelf pins made for glass. (They have a rubber coating or sleeve.)
    Great points, and I am considering having our builder doing shelving in our library. It will all depend on pricing...and for the "library" I have some Ikea stuff that has been dependable to this point. I am considering something for display in the "great room", it's a massive room with vaulted ceilings and other than a piano there isn't much taking up space that could be used for an elegant design to show off what I'm really digging right now.

Thanks for your help.
    Check out auctions in your area. There is often large antique furniture available. Even if the piece is too deep, a professional could cut it down to bookcase depth.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

This is what I'm working with now in a room at the rent house, and for my future library/work area this will work but just doesn't have the right feel....

I am thinking the lettered Halloween Tree & American Gods make the cut along with the Dragon Rebound & Suntup coming soon. I have seen some seriously creative ideas people have for custom cases, I wish I could find something similar for a display case...
    Seeking:

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Check out auctions in your area. There is often large antique furniture available. Even if the piece is too deep, a professional could cut it down to bookcase depth.[/QUOTE]

Excellent idea....and in this area there are constantly the publicly rich going broke and having to sell....
    Seeking:

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am thinking the lettered Halloween Tree & American Gods make the cut along with the Dragon Rebound & Suntup coming soon.
    Sweet collection pics! There are some great displays posted in other threads of the Suntup and DRE books and boy do they look good when displayed nicely

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post

I am thinking the lettered Halloween Tree & American Gods make the cut along with the Dragon Rebound & Suntup coming soon.
    Sweet collection pics! There are some great displays posted in other threads of the Suntup and DRE books and boy do they look good when displayed nicely
    Thanks! I’m trying to sift through everything for ideas...it is working, slowly but surely.
    Seeking:

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I would definitely check out Ikea; they have a number of slightly higher-priced alternatives to Billy that you may like. I personally use Billys with glass doors for the fancy books, and a slightly different (but nicer-looking) model with no doors for the everyday trade edition HCs and PBs.

You can pay considerably more for solid wood cases - and they are very nice indeed, I wouldn't fault anyone for investing in them - but if you just need something functional and minimalist, Ikea is not a bad option.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    I would definitely check out Ikea; they have a number of slightly higher-priced alternatives to Billy that you may like. I personally use Billys with glass doors for the fancy books, and a slightly different (but nicer-looking) model with no doors for the everyday trade edition HCs and PBs.

You can pay considerably more for solid wood cases - and they are very nice indeed, I wouldn't fault anyone for investing in them - but if you just need something functional and minimalist, Ikea is not a bad option.

HBJ
    Thanks, I do need to check out their other options. Most of my bookshelves and those main cases are from there and it’s true that, particularly for the cost, they are functional and slick
    Seeking:

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have one of these in my living room. I don't know if it will do for you, but I have some of my collectibles in it and I like it a bunch. IKEA GLASS CABINET

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    I have one of these in my living room. I don't know if it will do for you, but I have some of my collectibles in it and I like it a bunch. IKEA GLASS CABINET

I'm actually heavily considering pairing up some of these from Ikea after talking to some folks:

They are a close match in height, appear to be able to be locked, and look pretty slick...
    Seeking:

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Public Service Announcement for owners of IKEA bookcases:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/about_ike...glass-cabinets

Personally I’ve had no issues.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

There are a lot here that use the IKEA Billy bookcases and some of us that use the Hemnes style:
    https://m2.ikea.com/us/en/p/hemnes-g...tain-90371770/
    I mix and match between the wider and narrower cases as well as the full glass and the half glass models.

One thing to keep in mind is whether you will be arranging your cases adjacent to one another vs. standalone. Some of cases posted upthread would have a gap between cases due to the exterior decorative details at the top and/or bottom.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

I have billy cases and this happened to mine. I opened the door one day and the shelf came crashing down. A few books sustained some damage but thankfully nothing too bad.

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post

I have billy cases and this happened to mine. I opened the door one day and the shelf came crashing down. A few books sustained some damage but thankfully nothing too bad.
    Definitely have to secure to the wall into a stud. For an affordable shelf its decent. I used UV Tint on the glass. DIY.

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
    Ready Plyer One Sub Press S/L
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post

Definitely have to secure to the wall into a stud. For an affordable shelf its decent. I used UV Tint on the glass. DIY.

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
    Ready Plyer One Sub Press S/L
    Does that top shelf have a bow? Just be careful.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Took a couple of calls, but they are sending me 60 pins.

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Went a different direction and grabbed this, I think it provides both a nice presentation but also will work with our home:

Who says a book seller can't also love their collectibles?
    Seeking:

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

That's a very impressive bookcase.
    Someone's sitting in your chair.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    That's a very impressive bookcase.
    Someone's sitting in your chair.
    That's actually a picture from the internet, it's currently in the garage. I actually won't utilize it until our house is built and done in December but I'll post pics then.
    Seeking:

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

What kind of lighting is that in the case? You might want to change it to LED if it isn't already.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

What kind of lighting is that in the case? You might want to change it to LED if it isn't already.
    You and I are on the same page. The lighting it comes with is same as picture and it's amber, I'll be putting in white light at minimum.
    Seeking:

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Very nice, indeed! Congratulations!
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 48 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast