Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 48 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1184

Thread: Bookcases

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nice barrister (a few posts up)! And I was also going to comment on the cabin.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Apprentice BadHatHarry has a spectacular aura about BadHatHarry has a spectacular aura about

I just recently got new bookcases. They are colored MDF - do I need to get shelf liners on them? I know wood has acidity issues, but I wouldn't think the same applies to MDF.

Gunslinger Apprentice sullichin will become famous soon enough sullichin will become famous soon enough sullichin's Avatar

I just ordered this Barrister (in coffee color)
    https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pd...?piid=31580326

Won't ship for like 8 weeks though... does anyone happen to have this same one?

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sullichin View Post
    I just ordered this Barrister (in coffee color)
    https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pd...?piid=31580326

Won't ship for like 8 weeks though... does anyone happen to have this same one?
    Looks nice!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice. Tempting me even though I have no clue where it would go and I still have plenty of room in my 5 1/2 Billy’s
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I have a cheap bookcase that I use to hold paperbacks, and I want to add a couple of shelves to increase its capacity.

Does anyone know of an online store that will make bookcase shelves to order, that aren’t too expensive? They can be particleboard or whatever-these are cheap bookshelves, not solid wood ones.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    I have a cheap bookcase that I use to hold paperbacks, and I want to add a couple of shelves to increase its capacity.

Does anyone know of an online store that will make bookcase shelves to order, that aren’t too expensive? They can be particleboard or whatever-these are cheap bookshelves, not solid wood ones.

HBJ
    The shipping might be prohibitive. What color and size do you need?
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post

HBJ
    34 1/4” x 10 3/4”. It’s a weird size because the bookcase was originally bought in a country employing the metric system.

Edited to add: actually, the width is the only critical thing; an 11” deep shelf would still work.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

HBJ
    34 1/4” x 10 3/4”. It’s a weird size because the bookcase was originally bought in a country employing the metric system.

Edited to add: actually, the width is the only critical thing; an 11” deep shelf would still work.
    Color?

The ones I have are particleboard, with a cheap vinyl veneer that looks like mahogany – or is supposed to look like mahogany. So yeah, like a deep purple brown color.

I may just head down to Home Depot and see what they have. If I can get a wood or MDF board of the right width - close to 11 inches – then I can cut it to size and then stain it with something close to the right color.

But I was just wondering if anyone knew of something available online, just to save some time and hassle.

I don’t really care too much what it looks like, to be honest, as long as it matches fairly close, and has the right dimensions.

Ilium (Simmons)

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

The ones I have are particleboard, with a cheap vinyl veneer that looks like mahogany – or is supposed to look like mahogany. So yeah, like a deep purple brown color.

I may just head down to Home Depot and see what they have. If I can get a wood or MDF board of the right width - close to 11 inches – then I can cut it to size and then stain it with something close to the right color.

But I was just wondering if anyone knew of something available online, just to save some time and hassle.

I don’t really care too much what it looks like, to be honest, as long as it matches fairly close, and has the right dimensions.
    Pay the lumber store a couple bucks to cut it for you, then you only need to do the stain.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Brian’s a cabinet guy FYI

Oh, I didn’t realize that! Thanks, Jon.

And now I realize why you’re asking for so many details, Brian. I don’t know if something so simple would be worth your time, but if you have any suggestions, I’d like to hear them.

Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag

I have some plywood shelves (lighter than particleboard and better anyway) that size. They are more red/brown than purple though.

I'll weigh them later and figure shipping.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

Pay the lumber store a couple bucks to cut it for you, then you only need to do the stain.
    My local Lowes doesn't charge for cutting lumber. Not sure if that's the case everywhere.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Country
    Country Flag

I have some plywood shelves (lighter than particleboard and better anyway) that size. They are more red/brown than purple though.

Damn! It would cost $50 to ship two shelves.

You are probably better off just going to Lowe's or HD.

Damn! It would cost $50 to ship two shelves.

You are probably better off just going to Lowe's or HD.
    Thanks Brian. I appreciate you looking into it. I went to Home Depot on Sunday, and you’re right. A 6’ x 11” board and stain or paint should set me back about $30 and a couple of hours work. So I’ll go that route.

Ilium (Simmons)

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok... so, I need to buy a new bookcase... I have a serious overflow problem. However, All the places I bought my last bookcases are now MIA.

Jerome... your bookcases from a IKEA... are the still holding up? any warping of the shelves?
    this is the ones you have, right?

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/billy-o...ass-s59228746/

I plan to add a case in front of the window... needs to be at least 5 shelves, 72" in height less than 62 " in width... and under a grand.

Any alternate suggestions where to get a bookcase that matches these requirements? anyone?

I searched for 5 hours now and the IKEA one... although it doesn't match at all, seems to be the closest I can find to fit the area.

I would really have liked to find one like this one (The size I need and that matches a bit better), that I bought about 6 years ago... but it seems that it is no where to be found.

All my cases are over-flowing, most are doubled up... and have now I've got books on the kitchen counter and dining room table... and several unboxed limiteds.

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have the Billy’s with Oxbergs. No warping in 10 years (but I put my heavier SL volumes in a thinner variant (40cm). I understand the hesitation some have in their appearance and cheap chipboard quality, but I like them - and with the Oxberg doors.

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

serious space issue...

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    I have the Billy’s with Oxbergs. No warping in 10 years (but I put my heavier SL volumes in a thinner variant (40cm). I understand the hesitation some have in their appearance and cheap chipboard quality, but I like them - and with the Oxberg doors.

most of the reviews were good... but then there was this one review that bothered me

"Ulysses61 · 2 months ago

Incredible hard to assemble

I am quite disappointed in this bookcase. It took my husband and I over five hours to assemble it and most of that was spent trying to put on the glass doors. The directions are hard to follow and the doors simply do not align properly. They are uneven, the knobs are uneven and the entire look of the assembled product doesn't remotely look as good as the photos indicate.
    Basically you're getting cheap press board which is flimsy and upon close expectation looks fairly cheap. The price is alright, but don't expect your bookcase to look nearly as good as the photos provided by the manufacturer. I would not buy this again because the assembly was an utter nightmare."

Which is why I was asking members here that have bought these cases before for real opinions.

The Road Virus vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Amazing pictures of your collection, thanks! I could stare at that case with proofs all day...

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/billy-b...fect-00415603/
    verses

so... it'd probably be better to buy two 31.5 inch wide ones instead of one 63" inch wide one. That way they'd have better weight support possibly, better flexibility in placement, easier for a person to put together by himself....
    and cheaper 338.00 for a pair of 31.5 inch ones verses 398.00 for one 63" wide one.

I can always drill bolt holes and bolt the two cases together... if that'd provide better stability overall.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Boomme View Post

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/billy-b...fect-00415603/
    verses

so... it'd probably be better to buy two 31.5 inch wide ones instead of one 63" inch wide one. That way they'd have better weight support possibly, better flexibility in placement, easier for a person to put together by himself....
    and cheaper 338.00 for a pair of 31.5 inch ones verses 398.00 for one 63" wide one.

I can always drill bolt holes and bolt the two cases together... if that'd provide better stability overall.
    Two cases would be stronger than one. They will also have shorter shelves which will help prevent warping. Clamp them together and predrill before screwing them together.

I love my Billy bookcases. They are definitely a good value. My shelves, loaded with books for years, haven't bowed at all. You seem mechanically inclined. I doubt you will have any problems assembling them.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

They are very easy to assemble. That guy that left that review must have been challenged.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 48 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast