Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 48 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Bookcases

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Now that Mike has revealed his awesome collection, who's next? Wouldn't it be nice to see Hutch's treasures? And I think Sentinel may have some great stuff to show as well... and Surly perhaps? And there are more fellow collectors that haven't started a collection thread yet.... I'm just gently prodding and probing here, of course. Everyone can do as they please, naturally (but I'm a sucker for collection pics).

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Me too!! They might be the neatest part of this forum, getting to see other people's obsessions.

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Congrats Mike on a fantastic library

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok, Mike, I already posted my kudos for a job well done, but I have a lingering question:

Why did you paint the full walls the new color? More general work, more detail work "cutting" the edges, more money spent on paint.

Why not do a great job painting the top two feet (plus a little more) and then trickle off below that? The lower six feet are buried forevermore more behind these permanent bookcases.

Just wondering. The room really does look fantastic.

Citizen of Gilead Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great looking room Mike ~ Where did you get the shelving?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Ok, Mike, I already posted my kudos for a job well done, but I have a lingering question:

Why did you paint the full walls the new color? More general work, more detail work "cutting" the edges, more money spent on paint.

Why not do a great job painting the top two feet (plus a little more) and then trickle off below that? The lower six feet are buried forevermore more behind these permanent bookcases.
    If he's anything like my wife, he did it because "we'd always know what it looked like 'back there'"
    www.bookslipcase.com

Selling my collection of books and some cases

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Since we are talking about shelves. I had intially planned on a space for my collectible books. They are meant to 'store' my King, Ray Bradbury and Historical Fiction collection inside solid doors to keep out light and dust. I don't think the space allocated is enough anymore. 3 large very deep shelves and smaller 3 very deep shelves. Deep enought to stack 3 rows deep. Some shallow shelves above for more reading copies.

The King collection takes up 2 large and 2 small shelves:

The idea is to keep ALL my books, the reading copies and my collection in one room. But I think I need to relocate these reading copies elsewhere now. This is the other side of my library:

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice. It is cool to have drawers to store ephemera.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice, Juliana!

John

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Nice, Juliana!

John
    What he said

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I love your library, Juliana!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

VERY nice Juliana!
    Yes, we had to paint the whole room-my wife would have killed me if we didn't!
    The shelves were from Ikea-looked at about 10 stores in Minneapolis and went there-each one weights 85 pounds-very heavy. And the price was right!! ach one took about 30+ minutes to put together. I could do it now in my sleep!!

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Juliana I really love your bookcases and the rolling ladder makes it look like a real library, so cool

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree that the rolling ladder is great!

Gunslinger Apprentice idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great libraries, Mike and Juliana. Very impressive.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Incredible libraries, bookshelves, collections, & rooms. Thanks for sharing everyone.

This thread is kind of like therapy for me, I know I'm not alone in my obsession.

Off to measure the dining room for closet expansion and a to discuss the new project with my wife.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

P.S. If I don't post on here for a while it means my wife locked me in the closet during the project discussion, please come to Virginia and let me out.

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

LOL...

Life is a garden...dig it!

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Thanks everyone,

The ladder can be unhooked and moved across the room to the other shelves. You can see the railings above on both shelves.

I still think Jerome's collection is hands down the best in presentation. Now I am curious as to Mike's collection as he had so tantalizingly given us a small snapshot of it. I want to get lost in that room and check out everything!.

Gunslinger Apprentice deadohsky is on a distinguished road deadohsky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Anyone have any experience with vertical/ tower bookcases? I like the look of a stack of books, as far as the practicality of them i'm not sure. Seems like it'd be inconvenient to pull a book out of the middle of stack. Is there any danger of damage to the book(s) storing them on their sides as opposed to standing up as in traditional cases?

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Think of a stack of people ... You wouldn't want to be the peron on the bottom, right? Same thing for books ...

If ANYTHING ... I would do a vertical shelf ... with some dividers every two or three books ... That way, there isn't too much weight being pressed down on any particular book.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I've posted similar pictures in my collection thread before, but here are a couple of updated shots of how my King case looks these days. I'm gonna need a new one soon...

and a close up of the top shelf

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Very nice, James!

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Nice bookshelf James. Especially like that SALEM'S LOT! I can remember about a hundred years ago when all my King books fit in one bookshelf. To quote some rock group or another "What a drag it is getting old!"
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice display!

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I figure I can get away with a case half this size, remove a couple of shelves worth of books to add to it, and then fill the gaps out with gift editions and slipcased books facing outwards, like the ones up the top. I always love seeing special books being displayed in people's collections, rather than just tucked up on the shelf...

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Thats a good looking bookshelf. Its amazing how quick they can fill up tho

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 48 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast