Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast

Thread: Bookcases

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I haven't but I try to keep the room fairly dark - no direct sunlight and minimize even indirect light as much as I can.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Same here. I keep the blinds closed most of the time.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemCrashOverRide View Post
    I'm sure this has been discussed here before - but for those with barristers or with Ikea Billy Bookcases with glass doors, if you're in a room with lots of natural light are you still concerned about sun damage through the glass? Has anyone applied the UV film to the glass for piece of mind?

**Edit**
    Looking through this thread and I've found that not only have I asked this before, but there was a considerable discussion about it. I, apparently - have the memory of a goldfish. Please ignore me.
    I have two and I purchased UV window film to put on the glass.
    I've thought about doing this as well but haven't. The room mine are in gets lots of natural light but not direct sunlight.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

For anyone curious what the hell I've been doing for the last few years if I still haven't gotten around to applying the UV film... I taped up some wrapping paper to the inside of the glass to keep the light out.

Someday I'll have a proper room to act as a library. Someday.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Just UV film the windows in the room
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Or put the books in the basement where you grow your magic mushrooms.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    Easier said than done. I'm in an apartment with massive windows (like 11'x9') in more than one room that hold book cases.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Easier said than done. I'm in an apartment with massive windows (like 11'x9') in more than one room that hold book cases.
    Very easy for a professional. Expensive though.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Very easy for a professional. Expensive though.
    You bring up an interesting point - I hadn't considered a professional install... that said, it's just an apartment that I rent, and I may move on. So it doesn't seem ideal financially. UV protecting the windows of the bookcase doors however, is a much smaller job.

Citizen of Gilead Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough

I’ve never been able to find conclusive answers via Google, but perhaps you lot know.

How harmful is indirect sunlight, exactly? In other words, how much UV radiation is still “in it”? The room my books are in has daylight all day long (window facing SW), but depending on the position of the sun, a neighbour’s window can reflect a spotlight-like beam directly into the room and on my books. I’ve been closing the curtain in front of that window in the early afternoon to keep out that light, but sometimes I forget or an overcast day suddenly turns sunny and catches me off-guard.

How diligent do I have to be? Will putting UV film on the window completely solve the issue?

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Munnecom View Post
    I’ve never been able to find conclusive answers via Google, but perhaps you lot know.

How harmful is indirect sunlight, exactly? In other words, how much UV radiation is still “in it”? The room my books are in has daylight all day long (window facing SW), but depending on the position of the sun, a neighbour’s window can reflect a spotlight-like beam directly into the room and on my books. I’ve been closing the curtain in front of that window in the early afternoon to keep out that light, but sometimes I forget or an overcast day suddenly turns sunny and catches me off-guard.

How diligent do I have to be? Will putting UV film on the window completely solve the issue?
    The less sun the better. Direct sunlight is the worst and will cause damage quickly. Indirect sunlight will still cause damage. It will just be less damage or take longer. Minor amounts of indirect sunlight will probably not cause noticeable damage for a long time depending on the material. Some material is very sensitive to UV light.

Brodart covers offer some protection. Dustjackets with Brodart covers will probably be fine in indirect light.

There are different grades of UV film. They filter lesser or greater amounts of UV light. It's best to buy one that "blocks" UV light. Those offer 99% or better UV protection.

UV light, visible light, humidity and chemicals can all fade materials, so UV film alone will not "completely" solve the issue. It is usually the primary factor in a typical home though.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Picked up the new bookcases yesterday, all seven of them; five for the "family" section, one extra one for Kings, and one for my daughter's room. Have plenty of extra pegs and shelves, so can arrange as needed. Now it's just a matter of arranging!

WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I like those. Very nice
    Wish List:
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

I wish I had that kind of room left.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    Well, you do collect like 50 variants of the same book, Steve

Nice cases, George!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    Well, you do collect like 50 variants of the same book, Steve

Nice cases, George!
    I think it’s actually 51 variants...

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

The den looks like a library threw up, but these shelves are coming along.

WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Country
    Country Flag

Looking good!

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by George at C-Springs View Post
    The den looks like a library threw up, but these shelves are coming along.

No it doesn't - it looks beautiful!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Looking for display cases for a common room....

We are building and I'll have a "library" but the common great room will get some of my favorites, like the upcoming Suntup Rosemary's Baby & Dragon Rebound Books, which have been wife approved for display. I'd like something nice, but also secure....have a 5 and 6 year old with friends.

Ideas/thoughts?
    Seeking:

Suntup Misery Lettered + Rights
    Suntup Shining 1st Paperback Large Art Print

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Sell the kids? I hear the market is good at the moment.
    Wish List:
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Gunslinger Apprentice knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd think someone with a Tua avatar wouldn't hate kids, roll tide. My grandmother was the 1st female professor at UA.

Sorry, not a joking matter for me, most important and greatest thing that ever happened to me was the kids.

Anyway...back to what people like or have seen that they like. I'm not above going Ikea, but I do like to match the greatness of what is inside with what is holding them.
    Seeking:

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, was a joke, chill. Sorry to offend you. For the record, I love kids, my grandkids love me
    Wish List:
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, was a joke, chill. Sorry to offend you. For the record, I love kids, my grandkids love me
    Yeah, I'm not offended but I'm not gonna joke on that (although admittedly I was needling a little with the "hates kids", that wasn't serious). I'm sure you love kids, and I didn't mean to get on you, just wanted to redirect. I'm in the market right now for some of these things as we prepare the house.

No problems from me here, I especially like your avatar.
    Seeking:

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by knightmare View Post
    I'd think someone with a Tua avatar wouldn't hate kids, roll tide. My grandmother was the 1st female professor at UA.

Sorry, not a joking matter for me, most important and greatest thing that ever happened to me was the kids.

Anyway...back to what people like or have seen that they like. I'm not above going Ikea, but I do like to match the greatness of what is inside with what is holding them.
    I'm a cabinetman.

Ikea actually has some decent stuff. You will be hard pressed to find comps at the same price point. You might want to hire a professional to actually build and install the bookcases. You, or your hired professional, can add locks with no problem.

You can also replace the wood shelves with glass shelves and add LED lighting. Make sure to use shelf pins made for glass. (They have a rubber coating or sleeve.)
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast