Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Bookcases

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The doors do swing up and in, so to keep it open with the door out of the way you need to leave a little space at the top. I went in knowing that limitation; I'm okay with it and don't really consider it a problem. It's the exact model zelig linked to, and that's the price I paid.
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

I think it's a nice looking bookcase... allasorte, it looks like it's from Crate & Barrel. You can see the price here.[/QUOTE]

I think it's nice too, but Christ that is a lot?! I put some pics up of mine that I refinished. Not as large, which would be better for sure. Maybe I should get into the bookcase making business. I know someone here mentioned they made cabinets for a living. Must be a great racket.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I think it's a nice looking bookcase... allasorte, it looks like it's from Crate & Barrel. You can see the price here.
    I think it's nice too, but Christ that is a lot?! I put some pics up of mine that I refinished. Not as large, which would be better for sure. Maybe I should get into the bookcase making business. I know someone here mentioned they made cabinets for a living. Must be a great racket.
    It's definitely not cheap, but not out of range for a solid wood bookcase of that style. I just did the research Anything that's completely ready for use is going to be more expensive than something that requires refinishing. It's not really a racket because that's what the customer is knowingly paying for. There are a lot of people who can't or don't want to do the refinishing themselves. For example, I live in an apartment building, so it would be a huge hassle to find a space to do the work. I know there are definitely people out there making money buying used or reclaiming discarded items, refinishing, and then selling for a profit. If it's something you enjoy, might be worthwhile looking into it!
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

I'm impressed with the case and your shopping ability. I think I need a new job. In fact, I know I do. Add some pics when you get it, I'd love to see how it looks and your reaction to how much you love it.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wolfehr View Post
    Ordered this last night. The cabinet dimensions are 40 inches (w) x 13.75 inches (d) x 13 inches (h). Excited for some stuff to come out of storage and have a proper home, some of my oversize books to shelves that fit them, and for all my books to finally be behind glass! Delivery is scheduled for next Friday.

Love it!

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The other day while browsing fourniture in shop I've seen a bookshelve that I liked for our living-room. Although it's a bit pricy ($1810), so dunno if will be able to afford right away especially since I would probably need an extra bit for the wall next to it.
    The shelve itself is : 2m long x 2m38 high x 44cm width

On the left, the picture from the website, on the right, the one we saw on display

>>> https://www.habitat.fr/p/camus-bibli...ec-son-echelle

Very pricy, especially when you consider that they sell extension (another column), for an extra $580 (!)

Here is where we want to put it in the flat :

So plenty space for books
    The wall in front of the window is purple, and next to it the other one is "beige" so shouldnt be too much sun reflection I think
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ha, I love the ladder!
    I say go for it.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wolfehr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I think it's a nice looking bookcase... allasorte, it looks like it's from Crate & Barrel. You can see the price here.
    It's definitely not cheap, but not out of range for a solid wood bookcase of that style. I just did the research Anything that's completely ready for use is going to be more expensive than something that requires refinishing. It's not really a racket because that's what the customer is knowingly paying for. There are a lot of people who can't or don't want to do the refinishing themselves. For example, I live in an apartment building, so it would be a huge hassle to find a space to do the work. I know there are definitely people out there making money buying used or reclaiming discarded items, refinishing, and then selling for a profit. If it's something you enjoy, might be worthwhile looking into it!
    I think it's priced okay for what you get. First figure in the materials; solid teak wood, tempered glass, hardware, hinge system, etc.; then figure in the labor, considering it is five separate finished boxes with a base and crown made so a homeowner can assemble it.

It's a decent living, but it's not a "racket". I'm reminded of an old joke...

Can you guess how to make a small fortune as a cabinetmaker?

Spoiler:
    Start with a large one.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by killjoy72 View Post
    Ha, I love the ladder!
    I say go for it.
    Now that I remember it, I believe that I 'know' someone near my parents and an in-law from their neightboors that used to be a carpenter. I will try to see I can contact him and see if maybe he could do a similar job for cheaper and giving him a big commission...
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's about same size as one I'm looking at - nice big wooden bookshelf/hutch. 92 inches long x 104 inches high x 18 inches deep. My wife put it on hold tonight - but that ended at 1820 and store closes in 15 minutes - if it's still there then it'll be ours. it was 25% off today - but tomorrow starts a sale and drops to 40% off - hence why we are waiting. Just gotta hope no one bought it in past few hours (also had another one on hold too that matches one in the library - 90 inches high x 44 inches wide x 16 inches deep).

Not only that - it's from restoration hardware outlet - 12 months interest free too - so if we get them I'll post some pics. After these I don't think there's anyroom to put anymore bookshelves in the house.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Hi everybody,

I need more bookcases, but having a hard time deciding, so thought I would solicit some ideas.

I have a lot of questions, but rather than explain everything at once I will do them one at a time.

I have two options for placing the bookcases. I currently have two bookcases in an balcony above the first floor. (see pictures below). The first one has 1st/1st editions on the top 4 shelves, then US limited on the bottom shelf. I still need about another 2 shelves for 1st/1st, and another for limited editions. In the other bookcase, the top two shelves are non-SK books (for now). The bottom shelf is UK Limited, and other SK related things.

I could remove the non-SK books and maybe buy a bigger 2nd bookcase. The dimensions on the second one is 36" tall, 36" wide, 8.5" deep. Based on the room, I could upgrade this to upto 58" tall, 60" wide, 12" deep. The big bookcase does have a little room to be bigger. The distance from the handrail to the wall is 36". But that would probably only buy me one to two books per shelf.

The other option is a now nearly vacant room. There is a wall 105" wide that several bookcases could be placed. (or course some room would need to be allowed for access to a wall plug on the side wall.

Here are two pictures. One taken from the top of the stairs, the other taken from the bottom as you enter the house. So the advantage of where it is now is that the book case can be seen as you enter the house (you can't see any individual books, but at least it might pique someones interest). The other room has the advantage that it will be much more flexible in what I buy and will have plenty of room for growth, but will probably never be noticed by guests.

(sorry things are in disarray here due to both rapid expansion of collection, and spring cleaning due to recent painting of half the house).

Comments/opinions/suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
    Mike

My Mood
    Confused

@amd013. To me personally, the room no one would normally see is ideal. That way, only trusted friends, family, etc, would eventually be allowed to see and this room can solely be the "book room or collection room."
    The other aspect is what do you want? Do you want people to see or recognize your hobby? If you do, then downstairs is ideal then. If you want people to know of your personal endeavors then out in the open is it. I feel it's what you want or feel most comfortable with, but for me, it's a single room left for King and for only some people to see.
    However, if you have too many items, the safest bet would be to send them my way. Do you need my address?

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Just fill the space with stained lumber to match the banisters & you can place the shelves at whatever height you want.

Don't forget the spacers

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would cover that whole window wall with built in book cases. I would also cover the windows with UV film.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

WINDOWS? I DON'T SEE NO STINKING WINDOWS.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

First off, Bruce the pics of your books always leave me with my jaw dropped. I haven't seen that magazine section before.. pretty amazing.

amd013, I'd agree with Brian. Put shelving/cases under the windows on the landing. It seems that wanting guests to see your books is important, so putting bookcases in that location makes sense.

Also, I don't think it's an either/or choice because I'm pretty sure that before too long, all the new shelving you put below the windows will be full. So, regarding the extra room, you should also put bookcases there because I'm sure you'll need the space in the near future.

Hope that helps.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    WINDOWS? I DON'T SEE NO STINKING WINDOWS.
    Who needs windows?

They take up valuable shelf space!

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

@amd013. To me personally, the room no one would normally see is ideal. That way, only trusted friends, family, etc, would eventually be allowed to see and this room can solely be the "book room or collection room."
    The other aspect is what do you want? Do you want people to see or recognize your hobby? If you do, then downstairs is ideal then. If you want people to know of your personal endeavors then out in the open is it. I feel it's what you want or feel most comfortable with, but for me, it's a single room left for King and for only some people to see.
    However, if you have too many items, the safest bet would be to send them my way. Do you need my address?
    Thanks allasorte. After reading yours and the other replies, it ocurred to me that I could just leave those book cases there and get new ones for SK in the spare bedoom. If people are interested in seeing what is in the current bookcases, then I could show them the SK collection (if they are worthy )

Come to think of it, it would be nice if I could store my books at your place. Please send me your address. Let me know you and your families schedule, so I can time my arrival appropriately. In the off chance no one is home when I get there, please leave a key under the doormat. I will let myself in and arraign the books on your shelves. I think you will be quite surprised when you see it. Thank you so much for the offer.

Br!an, do you really think UV coating is needed considering the windows are on a south wall and are under the eaves and the books are perpendicular to the window?

In the spare bedroom, there is also a south window, but it has light blocking blinds (not the best, as light can get in through the holes for the cords). Also the room does not have any ceiling lights, but I am planing on having some lights put in. Should any consideration be put into what type of light fixture to put there? I am planing on a ceiling fan. I have 4 fans from Hunter in the rest of the house. I have two more bedrooms that don't have light fixtures, so was going to put Hunter fans to match what is in the other rooms. I imagine its just a case of buying the right kind of bulbs. I will probably only use the room to look at the books, and or to get print outs from my printer. It used to be a computer room, but I don't use it anymore, now that I have a laptop as apposed to a desktop.

Thanks,
    Mike

ps, feel free to address me as Mike, sorry for using such an impersonal login name.

My Mood
    Confused

@amd013 aka Mike. You are the best Mike! In all seriousness, I have no idea about UV coatings.....are they real? I Never open the blinds in my book room and yelled at a family member when they were visiting and opened them. I'll PM you my address lol

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

UV coatings help quite a bit, but direct sunlight for more than a few minutes a year is a no-no. Constant bright ambient light over the course of years can be deleterious.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

There is a fine line between collecting and hoarding.....some of us have crossed that line.

FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    There is a fine line between collecting and hoarding.....some of us have crossed that line.

Long ago...

Country
    Country Flag

The UV film helps. Brodart covers help. Blinds help.

Sunlight is not a book collector's friend.

For the room you are planning you should use LED. They are very affordable now. There are retro-fit trims to fit existing cans. They emit no UV light. They emit almost no heat.

Gunslinger Apprentice Meagan J is on a distinguished road Meagan J's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    Those of you with the Billy/Oxford Cases from IKEA, how are they holding up now over time? Any bow in in the shelves and does the siding come off too easily? About to move and think it's time to throw away my Walmart shelves for some that look a little better.
    I've had my oldest Billy cases for about 12 years. Other than some damage from moving they are doing great. Every so often when I need more space I go to Ikea and get another shelf. Over time I have noticed that their design improves, but the finishes stay the same which is convenient. I have had minimal bowing (I do tend to weigh shelves down pretty heavily) and had tried some cheaper shelves from Target that were similar but went back to the Billy shelves. They are just a great product for the price imo.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok, time for another round of questions.

I looked at the Hale bookcases, and really love these, I could configure them exactly how I would like them, but the cost is prohibitive. There are other options that are about 10-20% of the cost. (albeit not nearly as nice in my opinion).

The oxford from HomeDecorators that people have talked about looks nice but has the following issues:
    1) books in the middle would be hidden from view due to frame on the door.
    2) would prefer 84' tall to get that extra shelf space
    3) is only 36' wide, so would only be able to fit 2 in the room, and then have lots of unused wall space.

Hmmm, OK, I originally had dismissed the Billy / Oxford bookcases that so many here have raved about, because at first I only saw versions in white that came with doors (and I don't like white). But I see this is an interesting option:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...34/#/S69020473

I think this should hold me for several years. It still leaves some unused space, but not as much, and it is much taller, can probably use the upper tier for displaying some of my Sideshow Weta Lord of the Rings statues.

So first, are there any other options that use the total wall space more efficiently?

Second, I am undecided between the black-brown finish and the medium brown. The bookcase I showed in a previous picture was black, and there is also a "medium" brown desk already in the room (used to be for my desktop compture, which I no longer have, now just a large piece of furniture for sitting my cable-modem, wireless router, and wireless printer on. Also, the ceiling fans I will be installing with be "medium" brown (or cherry). The room is painted "stone-house" from Benjamin Moore).

BTW, anyone assemble this bookcase by themselves? If so how long did it take? I'm considering hiring a handyman to do it for me, no way I can pick it up from the store, and already planing on hiring a handyman for other issues.

Hmmm, another question, I wonder how easy it would be to disassemble or can the sections be separated? Once assembled I doubt it could ever be removed from the room without partially or completely disassembling.

Maybe its best to go with 3 of these: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...28/#/S79020482
    (was thinking of going with just one, but the shiping charge is $129 whether I buy 1 or 3, so maybe just get 3 for now, and save on future shipping charges, unless I can find a friend with a truck).

BTW, these are only 11 inches deep as opposed to other bookcases being 13.5 inches deep. How many SK S/L editions will this be an issue for?

Final question, I see there is a section to enter coupons on the website order page, anybody have any codes I could use?

Well, after writing this post, I think I have come closer to making a decision. But still it would be good to here others thoughts before pulling the trigger.

Thanks, and sorry for the rambling.
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast