Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Worst King on the Screen--Nominations Closed

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I'll second Desperation. For such a good book, I thought that was a terrible version of it. And, for the record, I feel it was a terrible work on it's own merits as well. Even if I'd never read the book I'd not have liked the screen version.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

3rd kingdom hospital not because i didnt like it (i did) but because abc cancelled it before it was over and moved it to cable which i didnt have at the time
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    I'm with Brice. I do not compare the cinematic versions to the books more than casually. I watch the movie versions and base my judgement on their merit alone. Some are OK, some Good, some Great. I don't understand why some people seem to make it a mission in life to bash every adaptation that doesn't strictly follow the book. I do not know of a single movie that totally follows the written word it's based on. Just not possible IMHO of course. :-)

So no vote for me! :-)
    The Langoliers follows the book nearly word for word.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, is Hearts In Atlantis IMO. While it followed the basic premise of the book, the title of the movie made no sense to the average non-SK fan since it actually came from the second story in the book.

Spoiler:
    Plus they completely took out all the DT-related stuff so you never really knew exactly who the the men in the yellow coats were or why they were chasing after Ted. I can kinda understand why they did it that way, but I don't like it. I don't like the fact that they were basically humans either.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Spoiler:
    Plus they completely took out all the DT-related stuff so you never really knew exactly who the the men in the yellow coats were or why they were chasing after Ted. I can kinda understand why they did it that way, but I don't like it. I don't like the fact that they were basically humans either.
    As far as this goes....

Spoiler:
    Apparently they just used Stephen King's original idea for them--FBI agents using psychics to root out Communists--before he changed it and had the DT-related stuff.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John_and_Yoko View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Spoiler:
    As far as this goes....

Spoiler:
    Apparently they just used Stephen King's original idea for them--FBI agents using psychics to root out Communists--before he changed it and had the DT-related stuff.
    Never knew about that...

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post
    The Tommyknockers, The Shining (TV series), Graveyard Shift, Storm of the Century, Kingdom Hospital, The Running Man.
    Which of the boldened is actually being nominated? It's one nomination per person.
    In that case, Kingdom Hospital.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'll third Desperation.

Ruthful, you didn't like Storm of the Century? That's one of my favorites. I was even contemplating nominating it for best on screen but decided against it since my vote will be going elsewhere.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

I watched five or six minutes of it. I don't know, it just struck me as being in the awful, The Tommyknockers, The Langoliers, The Shining, made-for-TV mode. I even read the screenplay they released as a book, and that wasn't one for the ages either, although I liked it better than the actual film.

I can't believe there are people who hate Cat Eye. Next to The Shining, and perhaps Misery-although I actually think Cat's Eye is better-that's probably the single best adaptation of a Stephen King work.

Mr. Unlucky educatedlady will become famous soon enough educatedlady's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I will also nominate The Tommyknockers.
    ♪♪No secret, no matter how nasty can poison your voice or keep you from joy ♪♪ -- Perfume Genius

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Tommyknockers 5
    Maximum Overdrive 3
    The Mist 2
    Dreamcatcher 3
    The Stand miniseries 2
    Thinner 2
    The TV Miniseries of The Shining 4
    The IT miniseries 5
    Kingdom Hospital 4
    Christine 2
    Apt Pupil 2
    The Shining (1980) 1
    Cat's Eye 2
    The Langoliers 1
    'Salem's Lot Miniseries 1
    Desperation 2

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second The Shining (1980)
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Forgetful Fantasy-Maker Tiffany is on a distinguished road Tiffany's Avatar

Toronto, Ontario (but I'll probably always call Texas home).
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll third Desperation. I think I was most disappointed with that one when I saw it.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain

Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me....Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
    -Shel Silverstein

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'll add a vote to The Shinning miniseries. To me it just doesn't compare to Kubrick's version.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I'll add a vote to The Shinning miniseries.
    Misspelling or a reference to my favorite Simpsons' Halloween episode?

that's my favorite as well

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I despised Kubrick's The Shining. It didn't tell the story that King wrote, plain and simple. As a stand alone film, it was ok. As an adaptation, it didn't adapt the film. It missed the mark just as badly as the film Rising Sun did, IMO.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I despised Kubrick's The Shining. It didn't tell the story that King wrote, plain and simple. As a stand alone film, it was ok. As an adaptation, it didn't adapt the film. It missed the mark just as badly as the film Rising Sun did, IMO.
    I haven't seen Rising Sun, but I share this feeling about The Shining.

crazy cat lady ksmithcats is on a distinguished road ksmithcats's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been surprised by all the people who hate the "Shinning" (my husband says it that way every time teehee) miniseries....makes me feel kinda nerdy. It's admittedly not the most artistic and technically well-made or acted film. But it's just my very favorite adaptation *looks no-one in the eye*

Country
    Country Flag

The Tommyknockers 5
    Maximum Overdrive 3
    The Mist 2
    Dreamcatcher 3
    The Stand miniseries 2
    Thinner 2
    The TV Miniseries of The Shining 6
    The IT miniseries 5
    Kingdom Hospital 4
    Christine 2
    Apt Pupil 2
    The Shining (1980) 1
    Cat's Eye 2
    The Langoliers 1
    Desperation 3

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nominations in this category close in one week.
    Heng Dai

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Awfully late, but a good link that lists movies based upon a SK book or story.

Traveler woogie88888 is on a distinguished road

I would have to say IT was the worst one if for no other reason the Eddie spaghetti thing his nick-name was eds. And they didn't play up the dependency on mom right either.just an awful mess Christine was another one where they changed the story too much I just hope they don't ever try to ruin the dark tower.

Country
    Country Flag

The Tommyknockers 5
    Maximum Overdrive 3
    The Mist 2
    Dreamcatcher 3
    The Stand miniseries 2
    Thinner 2
    The TV Miniseries of The Shining 6
    The IT miniseries 5
    Kingdom Hospital 4
    Christine 3
    Apt Pupil 2
    The Shining (1980) 1
    Cat's Eye 2
    The Langoliers 1
    Desperation 3
    It 1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3