Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The books you could never finish somehow...

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Neither seems too surprizing to me.

I hardly finished Bag of Bones, and never made it through Dune.
    Never made it through Dune!!!???!!!
    *has minor stroke*
    jst kidding.

never made it all the way through Skinny Dip.

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I've never made it through The Story of B by Daniel Quinn, despite being a huge fan of his book Ishmael, loving the concept behind The Story of B and being intersted it it. I just get frustrated with having to flip back to the back of the book for B's sermons. I have tried to finish it twice.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    I've never made it through The Story of B by Daniel Quinn, despite being a huge fan of his book Ishmael, loving the concept behind The Story of B and being intersted it it. I just get frustrated with having to flip back to the back of the book for B's sermons. I have tried to finish it twice.
    Ya I think you and I have had a similiar discussion. I can't find my copy of the Story of B, and I did start it. So there for, I never made it through that either. I don't know what it is, Ishmael was really good, trying to figure out why I lost interest with B.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bethany View Post
    The drift of this thread makes me wonder if there's one for books we absolutely hate.
    You won't believe this but I was tihnking about the same.. can we hate a book at all?
    I don't know. Maybe if we are very very disappointed.
    I have just finished a book. When I was reading the last 10 pages (the book itself has 500 pages) I was so deadly disappointed I can't describe. But I wouldn't say I hate that book. I am just angry and disappointed.

Roland would have understood.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

if we can love a book, why can't we hate one? If books can be our friends and teachers, why not enemies and corrupters? I am sure there are books both noble and ignoble, inspiring and suicide-inducing, courageous and cowardly, life-givers and killers.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And are there books you hate, Jean?

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bethany View Post
    The drift of this thread makes me wonder if there's one for books we absolutely hate.
    You won't believe this but I was tihnking about the same.. can we hate a book at all?
    I don't know. Maybe if we are very very disappointed.
    I have just finished a book. When I was reading the last 10 pages (the book itself has 500 pages) I was so deadly disappointed I can't describe. But I wouldn't say I hate that book. I am just angry and disappointed.
    The Story of O comes to mind very quickly. And there was one (non-fiction) that I can't remember the name of that was about a woman's near death experience which supposedly led her to have all kinds of spiritual powers that made me so mad that I threw the book across the room when I fininshed it and then immediately trashed it.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

Country
    Country Flag

Oh let me know why, please. What was the problem with it?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thank you Bethany: Nikolett, that was a good beginning to answering your question. The Story of O definitely belongs to the books I hate. (judging by the description, I wouldn't be crazy about the other one Bethany has described, either)

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

The Story of O left me feeling slimy and dirty and violated, especially since it is considered to be one of the defining erotic books. That's just horribly depressing and hopeless if it is. The other book went against all of my spiritual beliefs and angered me.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

Country
    Country Flag

I see. Thank you for your answers. You made me interested in that book. But I don't think I will read it.

Country
    Country Flag

what I hate most about books is lying - when the author twists the realilty to fit his pet ideas, as then tries to pass it off as the Bitter Ultimate Truth. That's what happened in The Story of O, and, by the way, Lord of the Flies, too.

My Mood
    Amused

I hate that one book...you know...has an old testament and a new testament and talks about god and such. really pisses me off when people think that the events in said book are factual and happened exactly the way it is written. What's the name of that book, oh ya, the bible (catholic or christian).

Country
    Country Flag

it's ok. When people vulgarize the New or Old Testament (thinking it happened exactly the way it is written, as you said) it pisses me off, too, though I am a Roman Catholic. Please friends, let's not start religious dicussion here, though.

My Mood
    Amused

it's ok. When people vulgarize the New or Old Testament (thinking it happened exactly the way it is written, as you said) it pisses me off, too, though I am a Roman Catholic. Please friends, let's not start religious dicussion here, though.
    I'm also a roman catholic (not that I still follow it). Anyway, okay sorry I thru the bible out there, as much as I was serious about the comment, it was a half hearted joke to. Someone's gotta be the 'smartass' right?

Country
    Country Flag

it was perfectly ok! I only didn't want other people (such as myself, to name just one...) to understand it the way we're now opening a religious discussion here

My Mood
    Amused

Oh I gotya. Sometimes I forget that throwing such comments out is like opening a big can of worms.

Country
    Country Flag

what I hate most about books is lying - when the author twists the realilty to fit his pet ideas, as then tries to pass it off as the Bitter Ultimate Truth. That's what happened in The Story of O, and, by the way, Lord of the Flies, too.
    Damn good point. And book made me very disappointed and sad because of the same reason you are writing about above.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I always feel obligated to finish a book once I start it. I have no idea why.

I do, however, have only ONE book I could never finish, and it was required reading for a 400 level English class I had. The book is Blood Meridian. I can't even remember the author, it was so bad. I mean, no plot, just a bunch of guys going around killing people. I got about 1/2 way through the book and gave up...and still got an 'A' on the assignment. I guess that means I wasn't the only person who couldn't stand that book. Or, I'm better at BSing my way through a paper.

I am still laughing about this 4 years later. But damn, that book was BAD.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Amused

heh...never actually made it through Midsummer Night's Dream

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Danse Macabre by Stephen King
    BORING!
    I think towards the middle, I just started skim-reading.

Country
    Country Flag

yes... I still haven't finished it... started exactly one year ago.

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Never made it through:
    The Lovely Bones [stopped after 3 chapters]
    Lolita [stopped almost 2/3 through]
    Finnegans Wake [after 3 tries]
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Ooh, okay, TWO books I haven't read. I forgot about Danse Macabre.

You're right. It was booooring. Maybe I'll try it again sometime.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Country
    Country Flag

You haven't finished Lolita, Matt? I can understand. I think it happens to many people and I know Jean can't stand what I write but I read it twice but most of the people around me could never finsih it.

Is Danse Macabre so boring? I am sure I would love it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast