Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: The books you could never finish somehow...

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JameseyLefebure View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JameseyLefebure View Post
    You see I've actually read the whole Witches of Mayfair series before, Terry actually got me hooked on it! I absolutely loved them!! But generally I can't stand Anne Rice - I've attempted to read the Interview with the vampire book about 3 times and can't ever get into it (that can go on the list lol) and I tried Violin as well but again couldn't get into it. I'm just not a big fan of Anne Rice's writing style - but i do really enjoy the Witches trilogy, but I know that one of the vampire book's has a few of the characters from the Witches trilogy (I *think* it's Blackwood Farm?) I did however read Anne's son Christopher Rice's first book and thougt it was ok - more of a beach book than a deep read, but still enjoyable
    i just read this one and i can't for the life of me remember the name, all i do know is it was rubbish. possibley the worst book i have ever read, and i have read a few turkeys. will get the name and see if its the same one. did it contain, Mona and Rowan - along with lestat?
    That sounds about right to be honest - i've not actually read it - i read the mayfairs and then me n the hubby tried the vampire series and my god I drove me mad!! I even went out and bought them all for Terry as an aniversary present - we both tried Interview With The Vampire - and got no further!! hmm.....maybe it's time to try them again - eventually my list of reading to do in 2010 just seems to be growing and growing and growing!!
    Sounds like Taltos, which is another book I never finished now that I think about it. But, with that book, it was because I felt like I had jumped in the middle of the series and didnt understand anything. I have always meant to go back and read the series in order, but have never gotten around to it. Also, I don't know what the order is supposed to be. Anyone know?
    Sloth Love Chunk

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think-

Interview With the Vampire
    THe Vampire Lestat
    Queen Of The Damned
    The Tale Of The Body Thief
    Memnoch The Devil
    The Vampire Armand
    Merrick
    Blood And Gold
    Blackwood Farm
    Blood Canticle
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I値l be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, this is the Vampire Chronicles? I guess Taltos is in The Mayfair Witches books?

I assume you have read these Brice? What was your opinion?
    Sloth Love Chunk

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The first three are great. The next two are good. The rest should be burnt.

Taltos, I read a long time ago, but remember nothing about it.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I knew I could depend on you.
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you rescue me

Gunslinger Apprentice JameseyLefebure is on a distinguished road JameseyLefebure's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Taltos is actually the 3rd in the series - I've read it and while it is much weaker than the 1st and 2nd book's it is actually a reasonably good ending to the series - it manages to tie up a few loose end's from the story as well But it does help if you've read the rest of the Mayfair series (even if to just get the jist of what a Taltos is)
    I just think it was fluke that I enjoyed these cause i've tried a few anne rice books and most of the time I just want to slap her with a goth!!!

Jamesey

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Blood Canticle - thank you Brice

This is the one i was trying to dredge from memory.

for me, i liked the mayfair witches and the interview with the vampire - then it all goes a bit meh, for me.

Along the Path of the Beam special k is on a distinguished road special k's Avatar

american psycho. i dont know if its just that the begining of the book just drags on or what.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I just barely finished that one. I had to skip over the chapters in which Patrick bateman goes on and on about Genesis and Huey lewis and the News though. I couldn't stomach them. I also had to skip over the super descriptive murders.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Gunslinger Apprentice ClicheGuevara is on a distinguished road ClicheGuevara's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Children of Men, I loved the movie..But no matter how bad I want to, I can't bring myself to finish the book..It's so boring..

Gunslinger Apprentice CrimsonMordred is on a distinguished road CrimsonMordred's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

TommyKnockers! I think we all know why, but if you have not attempted to read it, let me tell you. It's like Stephen King just wanted to make us watch every single detail about every single part of this girl's life. I mean I can handle back story, but entire chapters of back story? No. Then after he's done making us watch her biography and SLOWLY dig up the metal thing, we get to change to another character, a guy. Yeah no, he did this way too sloppy for my taste.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i loved tommy knockers, funny thing is - mostly for the reasons you didn't
    its in my top ten

Gunslinger Apprentice CrimsonMordred is on a distinguished road CrimsonMordred's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Different Strokes

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonMordred View Post
    TommyKnockers! I think we all know why, but if you have not attempted to read it, let me tell you. It's like Stephen King just wanted to make us watch every single detail about every single part of this girl's life. I mean I can handle back story, but entire chapters of back story? No. Then after he's done making us watch her biography and SLOWLY dig up the metal thing, we get to change to another character, a guy. Yeah no, he did this way too sloppy for my taste.
    Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    i loved tommy knockers, funny thing is - mostly for the reasons you didn't
    its in my top ten
    in bears' top ten, too, for much the same reasons

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

birds without wings by Louis De Bernieres. i just couldnt finish it. My other half has read it and thought it was fantastic but I just couldnt get into it. Makes me feel pretty stupid !!

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson. Got through the 1st volume ok, but I couldn't make it through the 2nd. I'm surprised, but the whole thing just didn't grip me as much as I expected it to. Normally, I like all that strange, reality crossing fantasy stuff, but it wasn't for me. Well, who knows, maybe one day i'll finish it.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    I just barely finished that one. I had to skip over the chapters in which Patrick bateman goes on and on about Genesis and Huey lewis and the News though. I couldn't stomach them. I also had to skip over the super descriptive murders.

Ummm...did that leave anything left for you to read?

If you rescue me

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

There were a few words left after that.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, it was probably like reading one of those children's picture books where each page is one or two words.

If you rescue me

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

I can't finish Under the Dome. :/

Gunslinger Apprentice Kronz is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I was on the waiting list for Rose Madder at my library when it came out, I waited months to get it. When I finally did I never got past about 100 pages. It's on my stack again though now that I picked up a paperback of it. I just fear more Gerald's Game style boredom and deeply fucked up relationship stuff...not something I relate to at all thankfully.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ola View Post
    I can't finish Under the Dome. :/
    i really struggled with this too. I am hoping to do a re-read when i go away in a few months. hopefully it will be better with a second read

Traveler michalz00 is on a distinguished road michalz00's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Matthew Pearl's "The Poe Shadow". I tried twice...

Gunslinger Apprentice Ageless Stranger is on a distinguished road Ageless Stranger's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

IT
    I read well past the halfway point while waiting for my ordered copy of The Eyes of the Dragon and just quit. It was so damn boring!!! (Say sorry)
    "May your luck rise, Roland" -Cuthbert Allgood

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast