Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Roland: Saved or Damned?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Saved: the next loop is the last before final salvation

65 44.83%
  • Saved: after a number of loops

29 20.00%
  • Saved (neither of the above: give your own version)

11 7.59%
  • Damned: the next loop is the last before final damnation

1 0.69%
  • Damned: stuck in the eternal loop forever

32 22.07%
  • Damned (neither of the above: give your own version)

7 4.83%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Roland: Saved or Damned?

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ManOfWesternesse View Post
    I voted Saved: After a number of loops.

I hope this next is his last - but I see no guarentees. He may have a couple more to do. But he learned a lot on the loop we read - so just maybe he's now on his last.

Same here. The next may be his last or may not.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Along the Path of the Beam Childe 007 is on a distinguished road Childe 007's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    My personal thoughts, ka is a wheel. Roland won't be "released" from the loop. I don't know that it's damnation. It is what it is.
    This is my belief also.

And my answer to the poll question would be "NIETHER" without the qualifiers.

Roland is not saved or damned - As R of G says - Roland simply is. We were given a view of one of his journey's to the Tower. I think that there were many before this one - and that there will be many after this one - until the Tower falls.

That point in the desert is "the" critical convergence of time/ space as far as King's multiverse is concerned. That was the point at which there was no going back. There is only going forward - forever and ever - amen.

Besides - as the scribe himself said: (paraphrased i'm sure cause I'm not lookin' it up) It was the best opening line he'd ever written.

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

What a damn good thread, Jean. Thank you for it. I was thinking about it, too.
    Anyway I can't vote because for me: absolutely both.

Roland would have understood.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Matt. That means a lot.

R of G:
    "Is it thy will, oh Father, that men shall toil for wrong?"

-- Save the People
    (from Godspell)
    lyrics by Ebenezer Elliot

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

this is a fine answer!

Quote Originally Posted by Childe 007 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    My personal thoughts, ka is a wheel. Roland won't be "released" from the loop. I don't know that it's damnation. It is what it is.
    This is my belief also.

And my answer to the poll question would be "NIETHER" without the qualifiers.

Roland is not saved or damned - As R of G says - Roland simply is. We were given a view of one of his journey's to the Tower. I think that there were many before this one - and that there will be many after this one - until the Tower falls.

That point in the desert is "the" critical convergence of time/ space as far as King's multiverse is concerned. That was the point at which there was no going back. There is only going forward - forever and ever - amen.

Besides - as the scribe himself said: (paraphrased i'm sure cause I'm not lookin' it up) It was the best opening line he'd ever written.

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Traveler SaiCmont19 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Default Why would the Tower do that?

So okey dokey, here's my tought...

Roland was on his way to save the tower, correct?

So why would the tower send him back to the beginning of his journey and not let him save it? If it was really in danger why wouldn't it just let him help?

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

1. Rolands quest wasn't to save the Tower, but climb to the top. Saving the tower was just a requirement to fulfill his quest. they say that in one of the books. i think six.
    2. the tower is lonely and very very bored.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been saying for a while that I don't think the Tower had much to do with it except how it manifests itself through Roland's perception.

I liked the idea I read earlier that he never really made it to the actual nexus, the Tower he found was himself and he failed miserably.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Traveler SaiCmont19 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Do you think it's possible that on one level, Roland actually reached the tower and the room on the top?

After he got there he realized all the mistakes he made along the way and the people he wronged, so he made himself start over? And the voice he heard at the end is himself?

I'm just throwing crazy ideas out there

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by SaiCmont19 View Post
    Do you think it's possible that on one level, Roland actually reached the tower and the room on the top?

After he got there he realized all the mistakes he made along the way and the people he wronged, so he made himself start over? And the voice he heard at the end is himself?

keep throwing em'. just make sure they ain't too sharp. i like my eyes where they are.

Citizen of Gilead Ka-tet is on a distinguished road Ka-tet's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SaiCmont19 View Post

Its a nice idea to be fair.
    If you love me, then love me-Susan of mejis
    See the turtle, aint he keen? All things serve the fucking beam-Eddie of NewYork
    You burn prettily-Corwin of Amber

don't think on it too hard. it's not something to lose sleep over. like a buick.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

The tower gone crazy...

Perhaps crazy with boredom like Blaine...

Maybe Blaine is the tower....

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    The tower gone crazy...
    leik de focks!

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

The llamafox?

the wha?

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

It's my absolute favourite thread so let me bump it.
    Anyway I still can't vote because I think: both.

Roland would have understood.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Call me an optimist, but I'd like to believe that ultimately Roland can and will be saved.

However, I'm not as optimistic as the majority of voters seem to be--I think it'll still take several more loops before such will happen.

The explanation just given by R_of_G and Childe 007 is a good one, but let's not forget that ka can be changed--Stephen King was supposedly going to die, but Jake saved him from such a fate.

Anyway, it was stated in the last volume that Roland had gone beyond what ka wanted him to do after that, and after the Breakers had been stopped from doing what they were doing. Maybe it was Patrick Danville's ka taking over, so he could destroy the Crimson king, but Roland didn't have to go to the Tower after that. He could have made Patrick do something to stop him.

So I think Roland will achieve salvation (King's universe seems to indicate that good ultimately triumphs over evil--even if it takes a long, perilous road to get there), but realistically it'll be more than just one or two more loops before he does, given his personality.

But if there's no hope, why change anything like having the Horn of Eld with Roland in the desert? That, to me, would be the ultimate cruelty and damnation, to change the way it happens each time, but never to get out of it. Worst of all, he wouldn't even know it was happening to him.

Citizen of Gilead Ka-tet is on a distinguished road Ka-tet's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Saved, the next loop is the last.
    If you love me, then love me-Susan of mejis
    See the turtle, aint he keen? All things serve the fucking beam-Eddie of NewYork
    You burn prettily-Corwin of Amber

the loops might be a sort of purgatory. not heaven but not close enough to hell either. the space between, where he must work to aquire salvation, or he'll be damned if he does something wrong. at the time, he isn't doing the right OR wrong things.

John F. Kennedy Archangel(tjk) is on a distinguished road Archangel(tjk)'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You know I always thought that the horn was important because of the poem Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came, the whole inspiration behind the D.T. story. An essential feature to Roland's journey is the blowing of the horn. It is a cathartic experience, that brings his suffering in the gloomy wilderness and experiences of the poem to a conclusion.
    I think the turning point was not Roland going into the desert but rather the destruction of the horn, it made it impossible for him to bring all of his suffering to a conclusion. Thus he is given the horn so that he may arrive again and blow to the memory of those who have fallen.
    You could also look at the poem as being the end of the cycle started at the end of book 7, when you could interpret that redemption is finally given to Roland or at the very least an end to the journey.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been thinking about the symbolizm of the horn alot too lately.

It does seem to presage the dawning of a new era - a blast of a horn is usually to herald a beginning or an end - therefore, we could interpret Roland sounding the horn at the Tower in the final loop as the end of his quest, and perhaps the dawning of a new age for...Mid World...all worlds...mankind?

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I voted Saved: the next loop is the last before final salvation. I think Roland is starting to understand a little more about love and can finally find redemption. The last loop may find him able to cry off the tower.

so you're saying that he's learning. his his memories are wiped, his past experiences and subconscious are still intact

John F. Kennedy Archangel(tjk) is on a distinguished road Archangel(tjk)'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

He may be learning but I don't think salvation comes from crying off the tower.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast