Thread: The audio book

The White Guy Chap is on a distinguished road Chap's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The audio book

Hullo chaps.
    I recently "aquired" the DT audio books and have only just begun listening to them.
    After 4 chapters in The Gunslinger, I am amazed at how good the book is already. From reading it I thought it was the weakest book in the series, but after listening to it my opinion has changed. It's surprising to me how much the way the story is told can affect (SP?) how we see it.
    The readers (Godall? I don't know, please fill me in ) voice is great, he does a great Roland and has, for me, lifted the scene with Roland and Brown from obscurity to one of the best moments in the series
    Ok I don't really have any questions, just wanted to get this off my chest

oh, does anyone have a quick overview of who reads the various books? I think King himself reads one of the books I've got (Wastelands), but I may be wrong. I'm quite sure it said "read by the author" in the intro though. (and the voice was rather geeky, tbh)

The Chap
    Some are born to sweet delight,

some are born to the endless night.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

First edition of the audio books of 1,2 and 3 are read by King. Second Edition of 1,2,3 and first edition (and only so far) of 4 read by the late Frank Muller. First and only editions of 5, 6, and 7 and third edition of The Gunslinger (revised) read by George Guidall.
    Glad you enjoyed The Gunslinger read by Guidall, cause so do I. King in my opinion does the best reading of them all though.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    First edition of the audio books of 1,2 and 3 are read by King. Second Edition of 1,2,3 and first edition (and only so far) of 4 read by the late Frank Muller. First and only editions of 5, 6, and 7 and third edition of The Gunslinger (revised) read by George Guidall.
    Glad you enjoyed The Gunslinger read by Guidall, cause so do I. King in my opinion does the best reading of them all though.
    Thanks alot!
    I heard a few pages of Kings read of Wastelands and thought he did a fantastic Susannah, good Eddie and OK Roland.
    Hope I have the Guidall versions of 5, 6 and 7 because he really nailed Roland (not that way) in the first.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chap View Post
    Hope I have the Guidall versions of 5, 6 and 7 because he really nailed Roland (not that way) in the first.
    You need to read a little closer -
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    First and only editions of 5, 6, and 7 and third edition of The Gunslinger (revised) read by George Guidall.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

yeah, my bad

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

And how long is the Gunslinger? How many hours?

Roland would have understood.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I think it's around 7h20m
    and once again I have to commend Guidall for this, he really sets the mood with his voice, amazing

Beauty Effulgent KaLikeAWheel is on a distinguished road KaLikeAWheel's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The first time I experienced "The Gunslinger," was in audio, read by King (Original Edition). I've read it several times since, but I enjoyed it much more on audio, which is usually not the case for me.

"What can I tell you, baby? I've always been bad."--Spike

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Bolded for truth.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by KaLikeAWheel View Post
    The first time I experienced "The Gunslinger," was in audio, read by King (Original Edition). I've read it several times since, but I enjoyed it much more on audio, which is usually not the case for me.
    same here, this is actually the first fiction audio book I've heard, and I'm really loving it. I never understood why people listened to audio books before, but I do now!

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    ...King in my opinion does the best reading of them all though.
    Bolded for truth.
    Absolutely. When possible, I almost always prefer to hear the creator of a story tell the story. It applies to music as well. As good as some cover versions of songs are, there is always something special for me about hearing it performed by the person who actually wrote it. There's an authenticity there.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree...except for Bob Dylan.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

You just signed your death warrant with this post, Brice my friend. Jayson is going to hunt you down and make your death as slow as he can.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

You just signed your death warrant with this post, Brice my friend. Jayson is going to hunt you down and make your death as slow as he can.
    Oh...he's gonna' make me listen to Bob Dylan?

If you rescue me

Oh...he's gonna' make me listen to Bob Dylan?
    Right, instead of slowly pulling your tongue out of your mouth using red hot pliars, he's going to do that, which is even MORE painful.

Brice is allowed to disagree with me about Dylan. As long as he's comfortable with being wrong, who am I to judge him.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Brice is allowed to disagree with me about Dylan. As long as he's comfortable with being wrong, who am I to judge him.
    Thus Jayson disproves his superiority in musical taste.

As I've said before Dylan as a songwriter is a genius. He just shouldn't be allowed to sing his own songs...not even in the shower.

If you rescue me

And as I've said before, I think the "Dylan can't sing" thing is an over-simplification. The nasally whine thing is not his presentation for every song. On a great number of his songs there is a fragility and an honesty to that voice that simply can't be replicated by anyone else. Like I said, there's an authenticity to it as the songwriter that is absent from cover versions. That is not to say cover versions of Dylan songs are bad, some are quite good, but there's something about Dylan's delivery that can't be found in covers. Take a song like "Don't Think Twice It's Alright" for example. Susan Tedeschi does a beautiful rendition of it, particularly when she performs it live with The Allman Brothers Band. She has a great voice and nails the song. However, Dylan's version carries extra weight because it's his emotions, his story.

Ultimately it's a matter of personal preference, but I've had the "Dylan can't sing" discussion many times over the years and every time I contend that over the depth of that vast catalog there are numerous examples of his being (a) a damn good singer, and more importantly (b) the best possible singer of his songs.

It actually goes back to the audio book thing (see how I brought that full circle). In terms of just the tonal quality and timbre of his voice I actually find Stephen King's voice to be a bit grating and annoying. However, his phrasing of his own stories is absolutely perfect. Guidall and Muller both have exceptional vocal quality but as good as they both are at reading stories, neither of them quite nails the little intricacies like King does. It's a matter of his intimate knowledge of these stories as their creator.

I actually like King's voice, especially his rendition of Roland and Gasher. Amazing.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

And as I've said before, I think the "Dylan can't sing" thing is an over-simplification. The nasally whine thing is not his presentation for every song. On a great number of his songs there is a fragility and an honesty to that voice that simply can't be replicated by anyone else. Like I said, there's an authenticity to it as the songwriter that is absent from cover versions. That is not to say cover versions of Dylan songs are bad, some are quite good, but there's something about Dylan's delivery that can't be found in covers. Take a song like "Don't Think Twice It's Alright" for example. Susan Tedeschi does a beautiful rendition of it, particularly when she performs it live with The Allman Brothers Band. She has a great voice and nails the song. However, Dylan's version carries extra weight because it's his emotions, his story.

Ultimately it's a matter of personal preference, but I've had the "Dylan can't sing" discussion many times over the years and every time I contend that over the depth of that vast catalog there are numerous examples of his being (a) a damn good singer, and more importantly (b) the best possible singer of his songs.

It actually goes back to the audio book thing (see how I brought that full circle). In terms of just the tonal quality and timbre of his voice I actually find Stephen King's voice to be a bit grating and annoying. However, his phrasing of his own stories is absolutely perfect. Guidall and Muller both have exceptional vocal quality but as good as they both are at reading stories, neither of them quite nails the little intricacies like King does. It's a matter of his intimate knowledge of these stories as their creator.
    I actually would agree that Dylan can sing. I've heard him sing...without the nasal thing he's usually got going on. Unfortunately that grates on my nerves to the point where I can't enjoy the songs personally. The only exception to this is an occasional listen to Dylan & The Dead.

If you rescue me

I actually like King's voice, especially his rendition of Roland and Gasher. Amazing.
    I also like the voices he comes up with for the characters. It's his general speaking/reading voice that I find kind of annoying. If I had to listen to King read something that wasn't a King story in his regular voice I'd probably turn it off after about 10 minutes. However, when he's reading one of his stories, the quality of his voice takes a backseat to what he's actually saying. The man is a great storyteller, both in terms of writing and reading stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice
    I actually would agree that Dylan can sing. I've heard him sing...without the nasal thing he's usually got going on. Unfortunately that grates on my nerves to the point where I can't enjoy the songs personally. The only exception to this is an occasional listen to Dylan & The Dead.
    It's funny, I actually think the Dylan & The Dead album that came out are some horrible versions of those songs, both in terms of Dylan's performance and, especially, the Dead. I have a bunch of shows from that tour and better performances exist of each and every one of those songs. They should have picked different ones for the official release. If anybody wants a perfect example of Dylan's voice being perfect for Dylan's songs, watch and/or listen to his set with The Band on The Last Waltz. Tomorrow is a good day to do it as The Last Waltz was a Thanksgiving Day show. That particular performance of "I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)" is as good as it gets.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I also like the voices he comes up with for the characters. It's his general speaking/reading voice that I find kind of annoying. If I had to listen to King read something that wasn't a King story in his regular voice I'd probably turn it off after about 10 minutes. However, when he's reading one of his stories, the quality of his voice takes a backseat to what he's actually saying. The man is a great storyteller, both in terms of writing and reading stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice
    It's funny, I actually think the Dylan & The Dead album that came out are some horrible versions of those songs, both in terms of Dylan's performance and, especially, the Dead. I have a bunch of shows from that tour and better performances exist of each and every one of those songs. They should have picked different ones for the official release. If anybody wants a perfect example of Dylan's voice being perfect for Dylan's songs, watch and/or listen to his set with The Band on The Last Waltz. Tomorrow is a good day to do it as The Last Waltz was a Thanksgiving Day show. That particular performance of "I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)" is as good as it gets.
    It's not my favorite either. It is the only recording I have of them together though and I do occasionally listen to it.

If you rescue me

It's not my favorite either. It is the only recording I have of them together though and I do occasionally listen to it.
    I'll make a note to make you some copies of some of other versions of stuff from that tour the next time I send you music. I do think that many of Jerry's best interpretations of Dylan's work were done with the JGB. The only Dylan song I thought the Dead ever really got right was "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue". Of course, if you really want to hear a great version of that, I'd suggest the cover by Them (feat. Van Morrison). It's one of the few Dylan covers that I think is superior to the original.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I've never heard of that. You know I'll appreciate what you send when you do.

If you rescue me

If you heard it, you may recognize the musical arrangement because it is heavily sampled by Beck in the song "Jack Ass" from Odelay.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast