Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2009 Oscars! Who should win what?

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

re: Heath. He won't get a Best Actor nom. I don't think there's a chance of that. If for no other reason than the folks from TDK wouldn't want him up against Penn. Remember, it's up to the submitter as to what award the person will be nom'd for.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    So did you finally watch the entire movie, Brice?

Not all of it yet.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Gay

Oops. Django, looks like we're ping-ponging our posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    I don't think it was the awesome film most made it out to be. Sorry, but Fargo kicked it butt as far as watchability.
    Fargo never clicked for me. And their undisputed masterpiece (and presumably the best movie ever made) is no doubt The Big Lebowski.
    I honestly think Fargo is just a masterpiece of wonderfulness. I would suggest giving it another watch. Frances MacDormand is, hands down, perfect in her role. And Buschemi (spelling error) is hysterical.

Not sure I can agree about the Big Lebowski, as I think Fargo is much better.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Gunslinger Apprentice Django is on a distinguished road Django's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oops. Django, looks like we're ping-ponging our posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I don't think it was the awesome film most made it out to be. Sorry, but Fargo kicked it butt as far as watchability.
    Fargo never clicked for me. And their undisputed masterpiece (and presumably the best movie ever made) is no doubt The Big Lebowski.
    I honestly think Fargo is just a masterpiece of wonderfulness. I would suggest giving it another watch. Frances MacDormand is, hands down, perfect in her role. And Buschemi (spelling error) is hysterical.

Not sure I can agree about the Big Lebowski, as I think Fargo is much better.
    I watched Fargo three times, trying to see what everyone else sees in it and I failed each time. And Lebowski is just stellar. It works on so many levels, it's amazing. And hilarious.

My Mood
    Gay

As owner of the Tenth Anniversary Bowling Ball edition DVD of Big Lebowski, I understand your love.

And no one can say you didn't give Fargo a try.

Country
    Country Flag

As owner of the Tenth Anniversary Bowling Ball edition DVD of Big Lebowski, I understand your love.
    *green with envy*

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Really? Brolin did a fine job, but Bardem just blew everybody out of the water.
    I'm going to have to agree with Django here. I thought Brolin was just outstanding in No Country. I thought be was better than Bardem, who I got bored with after a while. Caveat here, though, I wasn't completely thrilled with the whole movie either. I don't think it was the awesome film most made it out to be. Sorry, but Fargo kicked it butt as far as watchability.
    What I liked about Bardem is that feeling that at any given moment he can pull out a gun and blow your brains out. Remember that scene with the gas attendant? He's so calm and collected on the outside, not reflecting that boiling insanity beneath the surface.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I love them both, like I do most Coen Brothers films, though head-to-head, I'd have to say The Big Lebowski is better than Fargo. I've seen Fargo twice, and feel that is as much as I need to see it. Lebowski I watch every couple of months. I have no idea how many times I've seen it in total, but well over 100.

I also agree with Django and Turtlex that Brolin gave the best performance in No Country. Bardem was good, but without a compelling performance of Llewelyn Moss, the movie would become uninteresting very quickly.

My Mood
    Gay

100 times?

Smoly Hokes! That is a lot.

I'm trying to think if I've seen any movie that many times, and I'm thinking maybe "Star Wars", "Empire Strikes Back", "Footloose" and "Hunt For Red October"... maybe.

ETA : Footloose is one of my favorite Bad Movies.

Then don't even ask how many times I've seen Brazil, Pulp Fiction or Dazed and Confused because I can't count that high.

My Mood
    Gay

Oh, man, I forgot Pulp Fiction and Goodfellas... Those are pretty high for me too.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I'm going to go see Slumdog Millionaire sometime this week.

My Mood
    Gay

My prediction is that Slumdog sweeps the Spirit Awards this year.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    I just found out this morning that Danny Boyle directed this flick, all of a sudden I'm interested in seeing it.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The Joker Wins Again
    TDK, Iron Man among year's best films.
    by Jim Vejvoda

December 15, 2008 - Heath Ledger keeps racking up posthumous honors from different critics' groups for his performance as the Clown Prince of Crime.

The late Aussie's portrayal of The Joker in The Dark Knight has now earned him Best Supporting Actor nods from the New York Film Critics Online awards and the Boston Film Critics, respectively.

Ledger has so far earned nominations from the Australian Film Institute, the Golden Globes, the Los Angeles Film Critics Association, the DC Area Film Critics Association, and the Satellite Awards. Does this mean Ledger is a shoo-in for an Academy Award as Best Supporting Actor?

In related news, The Dark Knight and fellow superhero blockbuster Iron Man have been selected as the American Film Institute's Movies of the Year. And although it didn't win the best picture award, The Dark Knight was also among the New York Film Critics Online awards' finalists in that category.

My Mood
    Gay

I just found out this morning that Danny Boyle directed this flick, all of a sudden I'm interested in seeing it.
    I don't know... looks a little too "you're gonna feel great after you see this movie" to me.

Also, it's about as NON-Danny Boyle as he's ever done. Very not typical of his work, from what I've read.

I am still going back and forth on seeing it. I will let the Academy decide. If it gets nominated in a major category, then I'll track it down.

I don't mind if its a "feel good" movie. I seldom feel good so it might be what I need. I go to the movies so I can get wrapped up in someone else's story for a couple of hours.

It seems like the majority of you hate Tom Cruise, but I love him. I'm really looking forward to Valkyrie as well.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually, I've always liked Tom Cruise, myself.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Gay

Actually, I tend to really enjoy Tom Cruise movies. It's Tom Cruise himself who kind of gets on my nerves. I'll be seeing Valkryie without a doubt.

Oh, and I just found out both Milk and Slumdog are playing kind of locally, so I might get to both this week sometime.

re: Slumdog and "feel good" - I don't mind a movie that makes me feel good, but when I get hit over the head with it, I hate it.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I got Planet Terror and Stand By Me at Target yesterday for $5 each.

Nice find Feev.

About Tom Cruise... I was just responding to the bashing he got in the general movie discussion thread. For Hollywood, even though I'm not a scientoligist, his devotion is compelling. He has a lot of integrity and his consistency in regards to his way of life is admirable in my opinion. Further, the fact that he has fallen out of public favor shows the fickleness of the masses and not a character flaw on his part. He's been a scientoligist, openly for years, as well as intense and deliberate.

Turtlex, in regards to getting hit over the head with "feel good" I hear you. The thing about Slumdog is that I've heard very very little about it. Only one review on NPR and the rest I looked up on the net myself. Australia, on the other hand, has been a media blitz and I automatically hate it for that reason. Also, I find modern India intriguing in the same way that I found the Last Samurai: the enjambment of modernity and tradition is infinitely fascinating. I enjoy images of poverty interlaced with prosperity in order to illustrate the shallowness of capitalism. I'm a post modern, but I'm not going into that right now. I'm just pointing out why I'm interested in Slumdog. I'm sure I'll enjoy the character elements when I see it, but they are peripheral to what initially piqued my interest.

About Tom Cruise... I was just responding to the bashing he got in the general movie discussion thread. For Hollywood, even though I'm not a scientoligist, his devotion is compelling. He has a lot of integrity and his consistency in regards to his way of life is admirable in my opinion. Further, the fact that he has fallen out of public favor shows the fickleness of the masses and not a character flaw on his part. He's been a scientoligist, openly for years, as well as intense and deliberate.
    So those of us, like myself, who object to Cruise solely on the basis of his poor acting abilities are ok? I could care less about his personal beliefs, though I would say that the way he goes about discussing them are far from civl or respectful of the beliefs of others, not exactly a model of integrity. Nonetheless, I don't care about stuff like that unless I were to meet him in person and have him act disrespectfully to me. I simply think he's not much of an actor and, more often than not, his films are of little interest to me.

Country
    Country Flag

I hate when Cruise plays in good movies. Like Magnolia. You are forced to watch him. Yuck. Then people say it's OK if he's playing a sleazeball, that it's easier to watch him then. But then that's not acting, is it? Sorry for the rant.

How about Mickey Rourke for best actor, he seems to get a lot of press and he obviously did a great job in The Wrestler?

I've read a lot of good things about his performance in The Wrestler. I would like to see it.

My Mood
    Gay

I wouldn't be surprised if Mickey gets a nomination, not at all.

However, I did hear that he's made some comments, at previews etc, that weren't exactly flattering. I hope he doesn't blow it.

ETA: re Tom Cruise - He is definitely a director's actor. Meaning, if he has the right director, he does well. I thought he was very good in Rainman and Jerry Maguire. The first Mission:Impossible, I liked a lot. He was really good in Born on the Fourth of July.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast