1 4.00%
  • Ray Bradbury. Something Wicked This Way Comes

6 24.00%
  • H.G.Wells. The Time Machine

2 8.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Next book?!

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

I have most of these on my bookshelf and would love to re read any of them.

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

w00t! JP is catching up!
    c'mon, Crichton!

wait a minute, wtf is this, a horse race?!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It looks like our next book is Ray Bradbury. Something Wicked This Way Comes

Will someone volunteer to be in charge this time? Maybe Ves? t/song? It will involve making up a list of questions and starting a thread, just like we did with Mockingbird.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Are we still voting?

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

nope. Voting is done, and the next book of the book club is officially Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury

shame JP didn't win though. it was so close

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll have to check when I get home to make sure we have a copy, but if we do I'll volunteer to do the questions this time.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

No problem, Jean! I LOVE that book. It is an old friend. I started rereading it this morning.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Thanks, Brice! I love this book, too.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Excellent, been waiting awhile to read this one. Going to buy it tomorrow!

Quick question:

how long should each...session...last?
    I'm assuming that each book is always open for discussion, but in order ot keep the club running smoothly, we should start nominating the next book early as a week after the last book was chosen, that way, by the time each book has had its place i nthe sun, the next book will be ready.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Agreed, nominations for the next book should begin soon.

Country
    Country Flag

The nominations for the next book will start as soon as I see any activity on the present one; in other words, as soon as someone posts questions for Bradbury's Somethin' Wicked.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Still reading, and enjoying very much

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sorry! I am still reading too. I'll get questions up soon.

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

There's no real hurry! Provided something is happening, a short break between books is all right.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I expect to have questions at the beginning of the week.

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

i'm going to sit this one out folks. enjoy the book and i'll enjoy reading your questions and answers.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    i'm going to sit this one out folks.
    gr gr gr?

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    i'm going to sit this one out folks. enjoy the book and i'll enjoy reading your questions and answers.

Nooooooo! Don't! This book will steal your heart away. I promise. EVERYONE should read it.

If you rescue me

Brice, will you be posting questions soon?

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Lets discuss HMMM.

What do you feel is the major theme of the book?

I felt that youth/innocence was paradoxically lost by some characters and gained by others. I felt like many of the adults in the book felt regret about their lost youth and envy Jim and Will for their youth. For example Charles Halloway feels that he is too old to raise a son, and that he and Will have nothing in common, no shared ground where a relationship can be built. For that he feels locked within himself, and his library, and is really a very sad character until the end, where he rediscovers his youth and his joy. I think that this demonstrates a minor theme of the book, that age does not dictate happiness. Other examples of adults pining for their youth include: Mr. Crossetti - he cries when he smells the cotton candy of the approaching carnival and is reminded of his lost youth. Miss Foley is described as lonely and "quickly greying" and generally seems unhappy with who she is. She is distraught by the mirror maze, perhaps because she doesn't care for her repeated aged reflection. Charles Halloway has a similar experience in the mirror maze, where he sees himself as ancient, one step away from death. Miss Foley is apparently drawn to reclaim her youth through the carnivals offerings. Charles halloway also regains his youth, but in a healthier way, he learns to connect with his son, and relive his youth through his son, a trick I think most of us fathers learn at some point.

Jim seems bound to give up his youth throughout the entire novel. This willingness, almost obsession with giving up his youth stands in sharp contrast with the other characters of the book. Jim also has an "experience" with the mirror maze. He tels Will that he wouldn't understand, and we are not told exactly what Jim saw in the mirrors, but he must have seen himself as a vulnerable or otherwise undesirable in his youth. He seems almost determined from that point to ride the carousel.

What are your thoughts about the mirror maze? I felt that it allowed the charactes a moment of "reflection" upon their life. I though this particular symbolism of reflection was absolutely brilliant.

Any other thoughts?
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

Thank you BROWNING'S for having tried to help it along!

Please, if someone feels like he has something to say and/or think of a few answerable questions, start a new thread for this. Browning's, you could do that, and just copy and paste your last post; or copy your questions in the starter post, and the answers in the next post - hoping that with time there will be more questions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4