Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: The Gunslinger's Guns - General Discussion

Gunslinger Apprentice Delacroix is on a distinguished road Delacroix's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh, sure. Here I just speak about the aspect. This gun doesn't even match the caliber described in the book.
    -What do we usually do about bad things that aren't of our concern?
    -Well...we laught about it.
    -Then, my friend, once you're in the grave death might be a lot more fun than what we expect.

Gunslinger Apprentice lead dealer is on a distinguished road lead dealer's Avatar

No gun actually matches the "45 winchester" described in the book. The only .45 caliber pistol round with the "winchester" legend is .45 winchester magnum. It is a rimless auto pistol round, hence not suitable for revolver use.

One of the Italian reproduction company's makes a .45 cartridge conversion of this revolver. That might be the gun for you!

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I imagine them with the barrel length of that Remmington certainly. They tend to make a big deal about the size in the books.

Gunslinger Apprentice lead dealer is on a distinguished road lead dealer's Avatar

Yep, the 7 inch plus length barrels are impressive, accurate, but unless you are over 6 foot tall, slow on the draw...

I am 5"10" and drawing my 7inch barreld 1860 colt army gives me fits! The gun was desighned when the pistol was clearly secondary to the saber! The modern "spin and present" that is tought in most combat pistol classes, including the ones I teach, simply dose not work! Now that is for your average in 1940's size person.
    Now take Roland Destan, 6"'7" of pure gunslinger trained baddass... In a low drop holster and trained with that gun (or one symilar) since childhood....HE would not have a problem quickly drawing the 7 inch barreled pistol...

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

were do you get the 6'7"?
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Isin't that Si Kings height?

They mentioned that they were the same height when the two met.

Could be wrong....

Gunslinger Apprentice osseolax28 is on a distinguished road

i dont think Stephen king is 6'7''. i could be wrong but i always thought Roland was 6'3''. I think clint eastwood is also 6'3'' or somethin like that, which also goes with the similarities between the two

Were going to have to re-read that part. Been a wile since I have read that book.....

Traveler h1x71 is on a distinguished road

Default gunlingers guns

try looking at this and see what you think. being a "gun-nut" myself along with being a avid shooter i think what i am going to show you will be just the ticket. one small change in caliber it's a .44 magnum, if roland was here he would be proud to tote it. also it look's semi western and has the name redhawk "like david" his first weapon. and it's a ruger sa/da with the swing out cylinder.

http://www.ruger.com/products/redhaw...eets/5001.html

sorry if the link does not work my kung-fu is not that strong in computers!

h1x71

Welcome, plenty of gun nuts here.....

Not bad, have not seen a redhawk in years.... All it needs is the "no snag" sights instead of the target sights and a diffrent caliber and you would be all set. Well and a profuse amount of engraveing....

Humm..... I might have another project on my hands..... That or an engraved colt new service.....

Here is a picture of an alternative "gunslinger gun"

Have to love the .45.....

Ok, board at work again....

Any other lead slinger ideas?

Show us your guns, boys, show us your guns!!!

Traveler tipp-ed off is on a distinguished road

I always imagined Roland's revolvers as CSAA with intricate scroll work.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

that second one is nice. Exactly how I envision Roland's guns.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Traveler Bang0_Skank is on a distinguished road Bang0_Skank's Avatar

Sai King may be inaccurate in his description of Roland's peacemakers, but you have to remember that there are other worlds than these. Gilead is not only from another time but from another world too, maybe even the keystone world. This tells me that any 'liberties' Steve might have taken in the series is forgiven because of this fact. We don't have Nozz-a la, and no one drives a Takuro Spirit, and we also don't have winchester 45 long revolvers with sandalwood grips.

Which is why one of my fantasies is to design a couple just like roland's, and have it custom made.

Also, I believe that the sixguns were indeed single action. Before you scoff because proficiency, skill, and speed with such a weapon would be lessened, look at this video. The guy is really arrogant but I could see our gunslinger having this speed when he shoots up the mountain at the man in black in the first novel.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLnmvseCseI&feature=related"]YouTube- Fastest gunman ever. Unbelievable Bob Munden[/ame]

My Mood
    Breezy

Bango, welcome.

Alot of your points have been made, and I posted this video before. Bob Munden IS AWESOME!

I agree with the arrogant comment though.

Also an "In Case of Zombies" thread you might want to check out. A place to post pictures of your weapons and also have discussion on such.

Gunslinger Apprentice Hbgunslinger is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Hey guys,
    I always imagined Rolands guns to be a more rugged version of the Ruger BlackHawk type gun. Problably because I used to hunt with one so knowing the stopping power it always fit in my mind that they could be the ones. I like the new Bisley model they came out with however as someone else said you'd need to have a smith take the sites down a tad.
    http://www.ruger.com/products/newMod...ey/models.html

Bobs guns though are double action guns, S&W N frames (deviant of their 1917 triple lock .45acp revolver) useing a full moon clip. Seen him shoot, yeah, he is a bit of a prick.... But he at least gave another gun junkie the time of day. Well a quick glance at one of his hopped up smiths......And yes you can "fan" the hammers....

The only problem with the Colt SAA and the Rugers is that rolands were "swing cylinders" Rather than the single action guns loading gate. Those gates make unloading and relading quite clumsy and lengthly... No where near "gunslinger" speed.

This last part complicates the sarch for "rolands" guns, and makes it a little more difficult.....

Traveler TheReallySadCafe is on a distinguished road TheReallySadCafe's Avatar

I've always pictured Rolands guns looking a lot like the Colt 1847 Walker but with a cartridge conversion of some sort that would have the swing-out cylinder. Seems to fit the bill in most areas except maybe for the fact that its a little too big and isn't a double action but I ignore those two flaws because the Colt Walker is my favorite gun and I just can't picture Roland using anything other then a single action revolver.

Welcome to one of the "gun junkie" threads. The walker is quite the impressive hand cannon. I can see why they carried it on a saddle holster than on ones person.

Single action just fits the "cowboy" persona a little better than the double action...

Traveler Powertrip is on a distinguished road

Default My take on the Roland Specials

I've scoured the net. I've gone over this thread. I've read the books. And I've applied a healthy dose of imagineering...

The whole process went something like this...

Base model: Ruger Bisley Vaquero in .45 Colt: http://www.ruger.com/products/newMod...mages/0831.jpg

Ok but what about the proper cartridge... Books say it's a .45 Winchester and the only round with that moniker in Our World is the .45 Winchester Magnum. Ok, so some people have an issue with this because it's a round designed for an auto-loading pistol. Ok let's visit this thoroughly. Ruger sells a model of Blackhawk that is a convertible. It ships with a .45 Colt cylinder installed but comes with a SECOND cylinder chambered in .45ACP that has been fitted to the gun. This cylinder does NOT require the use of moonclips, either semi or full. http://www.ruger.com/products/newMod...le/models.html My understanding is, that the round is seated and spaced off the open end of the shell casing and not off the rim, there would be zero problems chambering a Ruger cylinder for the .45 Win Mag.

So with the base gun out of the way... And the round situation in theory settled, what do we have left? Ah! The swing out... Actually if I'm remembering correctly and I may not be... ROLL-OUT cylinder... I have yet to find a single line of writing, either in book or out that states the cylinder remains attached to the frame. Hence: http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/NEW/...T-OUT_CYLINDER

Next up on the line would be grips: http://www.galtsguns.com/gunsgunsguns8.htm

So that leaves us with... Finishing? is pretty much what I envision. It's not gaudy, it's classy and elegant. It has full coverage and I prefer the somewhat subdued finish meshed with the very tasteful engraving.

Put that all together and you would have my embodiment of the Roland Deschain Special.

Thoughts, criticisms, comments? Please PM me for my mailing address and attach said comments to a $20 and send away. (I'm going to need them for my Big Guns).

Double Tap

Well it is a good start, the colt new service (and S&W triple lock)in army service had a "lip" machined inside of the cylinder to enable the user in times of desperation to fire single, non clipped cartriges. The problem is extracting the non rimmed case. The swing cylinders lact the "ejection rod" that the big single action revolvers posess. Just a star shaped extractor that engages on the rim of the cartrige.
    Wait, no cartrige rim! The opperator than has to extract the fired caseings individualy with a rod or stick... Hardly fast, or anywhere close to "gunslinger" speeds...

As to the "roll out" cylinder, The alternitive is the big, clumsy single actions loading gate where you remove the fired cases one at a time, or where the entire cylinder comes out like the cap and ball guns.. In eithe case our hero would have been very much slower on the reloads or have to carry around a lot of spare cylinders!

Hey, gunsmith, remember? this is what I do...

That will be $20 for the consult fee...

Yeah, at 0700 this morning as I was driving home from work... I realized that the take-out cylinder wouldn't work with that particular round. My next thought was one from Eddie Dean's mind... I'm going to be embarrassed when Lead Dealer checks the thread!

At this point... I guess the closest thing I can get is the 1911 trick. Guys are doing the .45ACP conversino cylinders and carrying their reloads in a 6 round compact 1911 magazine and with the New Vaqueros going to click and reversing cylinder for perfect line up for loading.

With the take out cylinders, I know the cowboy action shooters polish the chambers so that the rounds pretty much fall out on their own. If you're not doing top pressure magnum loads then the roll-outs I think *could* be competetive if you practice-practice-practice! Apples to apples equal? No, but then that's not what this is about, is it?

Oh, in regards to "fast as gunslinger speeds," well, if these guns were the primary focus of much of an apprentice/novice/full fledged gunslinger's days, then much like what Jerry Miculik can do being so far beyond the realm of mere mortal double-action shooters, to the point where he can shoot dry, reload, shoot dry his wheel gun faster than someone can shoot same number, reload, same number in a semi auto because he's moved beyond the operating speeds of the reciprocating parts, why is it beyond possibility that Roland and his compatriots, with guns oiled and smooth as glass, can reload a loading gate-fed single action as fast as mere mortals could change a magazine in a Glock?

Quote Originally Posted by lead dealer View Post
    Well it is a good start, the colt new service (and S&W triple lock)in army service had a "lip" machined inside of the cylinder to enable the user in times of desperation to fire single, non clipped cartriges. The problem is extracting the non rimmed case. The swing cylinders lact the "ejection rod" that the big single action revolvers posess. Just a star shaped extractor that engages on the rim of the cartrige.
    Wait, no cartrige rim! The opperator than has to extract the fired caseings individualy with a rod or stick... Hardly fast, or anywhere close to "gunslinger" speeds...

As to the "roll out" cylinder, The alternitive is the big, clumsy single actions loading gate where you remove the fired cases one at a time, or where the entire cylinder comes out like the cap and ball guns.. In eithe case our hero would have been very much slower on the reloads or have to carry around a lot of spare cylinders!

Hey, gunsmith, remember? this is what I do...

That will be $20 for the consult fee...

the bear with the loading gates, is that the cartriges will expand to the chamber they are in.... Overbore and crome plate would proably be the only option if we were to take that route...

Humm.....

Wonder how well that would work....

In the drawing of the three, when roland is "out" on the beach (todash in jack mort's body) She draws the "big gun of that mean ass honkey" and to ensure it is loaded she presses the cylender releice latch foreward,(like a S&W) that did not work so she pulled it back (like a colt), flipped it out and saw the brass. Fortunatly for roland, she did not check the primers...

And look closely at these "speed shooters" revolvers.. They all use a half or full moon clip! Makes for a fast, almost semi auto level, reload time... Look at the 1917 colt in my avatar, it takes the clips or the rimmed .45 auto rim round...

And those cowboy action shooters are primaraly using the lightest loads possiable... made for "dinging" steel targets or punching paper, not enforcing the laws of the barony, and takeing lives...

You have me thinking, wonder if the people that coat the inside of engine cylinders could do something as tiny as a revolver cylinder?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast