Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2009: Overview of the results so far (Round 1)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Added the three brackets currently open for voting to the list in the first post so that it's easier for everyone to see the tournament structure, where each book is seeded. Unless I'm mistaken, the next bracket should open today. Right, Aaron? So this way people can keep better track.

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nope. Tomorrow. Mondays and Thursdays.
    Heng Dai

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gotcha. With multiple concurrent brackets it can get a little confusing. That's why I added the open ones to the list. Should've done it sooner.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, this week is a bit crazy since I got behind last week. After tomorrow it will all be back to the original structure.
    Heng Dai

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

aaron the addition to your sig is priceless.

/off topic

Country
    Country Flag

Heng Dai

Country
    Country Flag

Added to the first post the preliminary data for the two closed brackets, added the new open bracket, and also designated the B5 winners as unofficially announced by Aaron!

Country
    Country Flag

Added the designations for the two books moving out of Bracket 6, as well as all the FAS numbers.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

So I was just looking at the scores, and I've got a question. The brackets were set up according to release date I assume. However bracket 5 had alot of strong books, and Misery scored an FAS of 4.4 which is higher than quite a number of books that are moving on. It had been working out that the ones with the highest scores were the books moving on to the next round, but in this case this book is being left behind because it was in the strongest bracket so far. Well I guess that's not really a question but more of an observation. I just feel bad that it's being left behind when it should be moving on, since it was rated higher than some of the other books.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    So I was just looking at the scores, and I've got a question. The brackets were set up according to release date I assume. However bracket 5 had alot of strong books, and Misery scored an FAS of 4.4 which is higher than quite a number of books that are moving on. It had been working out that the ones with the highest scores were the books moving on to the next round, but in this case this book is being left behind because it was in the strongest bracket so far. Well I guess that's not really a question but more of an observation. I just feel bad that it's being left behind when it should be moving on, since it was rated higher than some of the other books.
    I agree. If I were running this (not telling anyone what to do), I'd probably order the books according to their FAS once they'd all been voted on, and then go from there (though now I think about it, I'm not sure offhand where exactly I WOULD go from there)....

Country
    Country Flag

Your concerns haven't gone unnoticed. What we are going to do is some wildcard face-offs. So Misery, as well as a few others, will have the chance to still move on. These will take place at the close of round one.
    Heng Dai

Country
    Country Flag

Well, to be honest, I like it the way it is. My thinking is that you can't compare books written in the 1970s with those written in the 1980s, or the 1990s, or the 2000s. They're all different, and so in each bracket we have books going against each other that are from the same time period. I think that's the most fair way.

Country
    Country Flag

Bracket 7 is closed. The Waste Lands is the winner, and Insomnia is the runner-up. The first posts for those two have been updated with their scores. I have scored the other three books in the bracket already, but havent had the chance to update the threads with the info. I'll probably get to that at lunch today.

Bracket 9 will also go up at lunch today.
    Heng Dai

Country
    Country Flag

Updated the list with the latest data from Aaron!

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is so much fun!! Thanks, pablo, for suggesting this!

I also had another thought for the additional categories - Fave SK himself on screen? He's made cameo appearances in a bunch of his movies, so I'm thinking it might be fun, too!

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gsvec View Post
    This is so much fun!! Thanks, pablo, for suggesting this!
    No problem, but mine was just the germ of an idea. Aaron really took it and ran with it and it worked out (at least thus far) perfectly. Bravo to him for doing this!

Country
    Country Flag

Added a ranking of the books thus far to the second post of this thread.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The only thing that really upsets me is that the winner of one bracket actually has a lower number than Eyes of the Dragon. It is what it is, but it really stunned me when I saw it. I think that's the only spot where the system we have in place is a little off.
    Bracket 5:
    The Eyes of the Dragon: 48 votes - rated 5 with 18 votes (37.50%) [FAS: 4.071428571]
    Bracket 6:
    Needful Things: 43 votes - rated 4 with 16 votes (37.21%) [FAS: 4.03125]

This is not to say that EotD would have continued as Misery outdid EotD with a 4.4.
    All this means to me is that Needful Things will be ranked higher than those two stories even though its score was lower. That surprised me, but I can live with it. This is STILL a great system, and I am really enjoying it.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Country
    Country Flag

EotD will still have its chance, as will the other books that have scored higher than some of the bracket winners. There will be face-off polls to determine which of the high scoring bracket losers will overcome the lowest scoring bracket winners.

I think that was almost a tongue-twister.
    Heng Dai

Country
    Country Flag

Well, I already described my point of view on this issue above (in post #37). But let me elaborate. I may be wrong but this is what I believe. I feel that the chronological elimination is the best way to go. That means we promote the best two books in a given chronological group. That chronological part is important, I think. Just because Needful Things went on to the second round and Eyes of the Dragon didn't while receiving an overall higher FAS doesn't really mean anything because Eyes of the Dragon was not in competition with Needful Things. Misery's FAS was higher than some of our other bracket winners and runners-up ('Salem's Lot, The Shining, The Gunslinger, etc.), but it still should not progress to the second round. And I love Misery! Because Misery did not beat out the books in its own bracket, and the best two out of those five deservingly will be moving on. Great books will inevitably be left behind in this first round. One of my personal Top 5, Rose Madder, has no chance. I can grumble and moan, but numbers are stubborn things. If you don't get more points than the top two guys, you lose. Simple as that.

P.S.: With all due respect to Aaron, who organized these awards with such awesomeness that I could never have imagined, I don't think it would be fair to the bracket winners and/or runners-up to be supplanted by higher-scoring losers of different brackets as per my rationale above. We'll still have the overall ranking at the end of Round 1 that I started in the second post of this thread, so it will be plainly seen which books ended up where. Up to you, though. You're the boss. Just my opinion.

P.P.S:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    All this means to me is that Needful Things will be ranked higher than those two stories even though its score was lower.
    This actually won't happen, because (and sorry if I'm dwelling on the issue) if you look at the second post of this thread, you'll see a listing of all the books that have been ranked thus far. The list is ordered from the highest FAS to the lowest, and so Needful Things is not ranked higher than either Eyes of the Dragon or Misery.

Country
    Country Flag

I understand what you are saying, pablo, but have to disagree. If an author had a really weak career early on and got better and better in a very distinct progression then that argument would be very sound. But King has been good for the majority of his career, as is evidenced by earlier books like The Stand and IT. It is very important which books progress to round 2 because those books will have the scores that they earned in round 1 added to. The scores that they receive in round 2 pair with those of round 1 and will designate the ranking order for numbers 7-24. The top six will have another round which will further add to their scores and decide the order of the top six.

So allowing a book to progress that has a lower score than others will most definitely skew the results, because it will put it above others that initially scored higher. That is why round one is so important. We must remember that the purpose here is to get an accurate ranking of all of King's books, based on the feelings of the readers. If the readers think Misery is better through their rankings, then it should at least have a chance of moving on and securing the ranking that it deserves.
    Heng Dai

Country
    Country Flag

What I think we could do then is have any book that scored a FAS of 4 and above move out of Round 1, maybe? Looking at the current results that will cover most of our winners and runners-up, except Four Past Midnight, and will include Misery, Eyes of the Dragon, and Skeleton Crew.

This is not an ideal solution, so perhaps instead of having a mid-round face-off between high-scoring losers to supplant low-scoring winners, we could add the top six losers from all the brackets. This would give us an even thirty books for Round 2. So, half move on and half is left behind. Makes sense to me. What do you think, Aaron?

Country
    Country Flag

Hmm...that's not a bad idea--and it will be less work. Let's go with it. Good compromise, pablo.
    Heng Dai

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Hmm...that's not a bad idea--and it will be less work. Let's go with it. Good compromise, pablo.
    Sounds good

And just as the polls have closed for Bracket 8 I've added the voting info on each book to the first post. Now awaiting Aaron's FAS numbers and proclamation of the winner and runner-up, which looks like it'll be Wizard and Glass and The Green Mile.

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I like the resolution. It never really seemed fair to me that just because 2 books per decade were deemed the best of that particular decade that some with higher scores weren't going to be able to move on. Looking at a high level, the whole reason for this competition is to determine what his best book is - no matter when it was written. Kudos!!

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast