Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: How Do You Rank The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Overall?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • I loved it - 5

28 47.46%
  • I liked it - 4

19 32.20%
  • Average - 3

8 13.56%
  • Only so-so - 2

3 5.08%
  • I didn't like it - 1

1 1.69%
  • Never Read

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Gunslinger--Bracket 3 Runner-Up

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Why such a drastic difference? Most people I think believe the Revised is a better book, not worse.
    Well, being on the opposite end of popular opinion is nothing new for me.

I don't find the revised better or even necessary. I didn't have issues in the first place with most of the things that he went back and "fixed." To me, it's the literary equivalent of something some bands do when they go back and re-record some of their classic songs. It's unnecessary and really just makes me appreciate the original that much more.

I understand King's desire to bring the first book in line with the continuity of the last three books, but he could have accomplished that by using an outline and not abandoning the original continuity in the first place.
    This, EXACTLY. I'd give the Revised a -7 if I could, because I freaking hate it when people go back and "fix" things that aren't broken.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I've gotta' agree with Jayson; IMO the revised was absolutely unnecessary.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I've gotta' agree with Jayson; IMO the revised was absolutely unnecessary.
    it was guilt

Roland would have understood.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

What was? I don't follow, dear.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

It was guilt to revise the Gunslinger. Maybe it doesn't sound good in English.
    I mean to me it sounds really light to say "the revised was absolutely unnecessary.".
    Does it make some sense this time? *unsure*

Roland would have understood.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep, I'm totally on the "the revised was unnecessary" band wagon

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

I've never understood the purists.

When you're writing a story, especially one that's so long and involved as The Dark Tower, inevitably things are going to change vis-a-vis the way you originally intended it. To do otherwise is to DICTATE, which kills the story. You can't be a dictator, you have to let it flow, and if that means abandoning some original ideas, then so be it. Otherwise the story is lifeless and suffers as a result. Stephen King has himself said that he's the medium through which the story is told, as it ought to be for any story.

And if there's inconsistency between the beginning and the end of a story as a result, shouldn't you revise it to bring it into greater continuity?

Consequently I consider the Revised and Expanded Edition to be superior and don't intend to read the original at all. (I mean, really, Roland reading a magazine? Are you crazy?)

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by John_and_Yoko View Post
    Consequently I consider the Revised and Expanded Edition to be superior and don't intend to read the original at all.
    I am not trying to change your mind or start a lengthy debate, but I'm not sure how you can declare one book superior to another while claiming not to have read one of them. I'm not suggesting reading the original Gunslinger would change your opinion one iota, but without having read both of them, how can you really make such a declaration?

My Mood
    Angelic

Consequently I consider the Revised and Expanded Edition to be superior and don't intend to read the original at all.
    I am not trying to change your mind or start a lengthy debate, but I'm not sure how you can declare one book superior to another while claiming not to have read one of them. I'm not suggesting reading the original Gunslinger would change your opinion one iota, but without having read both of them, how can you really make such a declaration?
    I can't, and I didn't. I said I "consider" the revised version to be superior.

Anyway, others have done the opposite--so in love with the original they won't even read the revised version.

I'm primarily going by what I do know about the original, as well as Stephen King's own assessment. It sounds WAY inconsistent with the other volumes, and not just the last three.

Anyway, I don't even know how I'd go about getting a copy of the original in the first place--I wouldn't want to keep it, as there'd be no point.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I'd like to think that if I started the series in the era of the Revised edition I'd still like to read the original at some point at least as a historical curiosity to see where the series began.

My Mood
    Angelic

I'd like to think that if I started the series in the era of the Revised edition I'd still like to read the original at some point at least as a historical curiosity to see where the series began.
    *shrugs*

If I wanted that, I'd look at a list of the differences between the two, such as once existed on thedarktower.net....

You know, back when it was actually online?

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I have read both and I still think the original is better. I think the changes in the Revised are glaringly obvious and take the reader right out of the story. And, I don't think they are necessary. Besides, as far as I'm concerned, once it's published, it's done. *shrugs*

And hey, don't we have a thread for this discussion somewhere?

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Well, I have read both and I still think the original is better. I think the changes in the Revised are glaringly obvious and take the reader right out of the story. And, I don't think they are necessary. Besides, as far as I'm concerned, once it's published, it's done. *shrugs*

And hey, don't we have a thread for this discussion somewhere?
    Probably, so I'm only going to say one more thing on the subject:

I didn't notice anything "glaringly obvious" when I read the revised version, not that took me out of the story.

And from what I've heard about them, they ARE necessary.

Anyway, I've heard of "first edition, second edition," etc., and at least it's Stephen King himself revising it, and not someone else.

Anyway, end of off-topic.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm glad I have both versions, for completeness sake, but personally I only read the Revised.

Beauty Effulgent KaLikeAWheel is on a distinguished road KaLikeAWheel's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post

that for the purposes of the poll we're asked to grade each book on its own merit, that is not taking into account any other and judging it strictly on what's between that one book's covers.

I know...I'm trying. It's so hard for me. Objectivity is not a strong suit of mine. I agree on II. It's an excellent book!
    Last edited by KaLikeAWheel; 11-18-2008 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Formatting issues.

"What can I tell you, baby? I've always been bad."--Spike

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

And if there's inconsistency between the beginning and the end of a story as a result, shouldn't you revise it to bring it into greater continuity?
    If your story is yet to be published and you feel you need to go back and make some changes once you reach the end, then yes, sure you should.
    But if it's already out there, and the way you wrote it was the way you originally heard, divined, wrote the story, then that's the way it should stay imo.

I didn't notice anything "glaringly obvious" when I read the revised version, not that took me out of the story.
    Well of course you didn't, you haven't read the original so you have no basis for comparison

Seriously, all that he did in the revised edition was insert the number 19 about 50 billion times...I didn't see the point at all (and I have read both )

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    If your story is yet to be published and you feel you need to go back and make some changes once you reach the end, then yes, sure you should.
    But if it's already out there, and the way you wrote it was the way you originally heard, divined, wrote the story, then that's the way it should stay imo.

Well of course you didn't, you haven't read the original so you have no basis for comparison

Seriously, all that he did in the revised edition was insert the number 19 about 50 billion times...I didn't see the point at all (and I have read both )
    First of all, what if J. R. R. Tolkien had done that with The Hobbit? The account of how Bilbo got the Ring would have been far inferior, I can say that right off, never mind inconsistent with The Lord of the Rings.... So I don't feel that argument holds any water. I mean, should he have changed the latter story to be consistent with the original account?

Secondly, I do know he did more than that in the revised edition (and I HAVEN'T read both), and I can only think of one change I don't particularly care for--namely, how
    Spoiler:
    Walter o'Dim faked the skeleton at the end. Why not use magic, even if you're going to have him be the same identity as Marten Broadcloak/Randall Flagg?
    But for the other changes, I think they WERE necessary (heck, even Volume II was inconsistent with the original version--Volume II!) or at least better.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

First of all, what if J. R. R. Tolkien had done that with The Hobbit? The account of how Bilbo got the Ring would have been far inferior, I can say that right off, never mind inconsistent with The Lord of the Rings.... So I don't feel that argument holds any water. I mean, should he have changed the latter story to be consistent with the original account?
    You've lost me now...what if Tolkien had done what with The Hobbit? You sound like you're contradicting your original point there, which was that you think previous works should be revised if it makes them consistent with later works.

My Mood
    Angelic

You've lost me now...what if Tolkien had done what with The Hobbit? You sound like you're contradicting your original point there, which was that you think previous works should be revised if it makes them consistent with later works.
    Um, no....

Tolkien revised The Hobbit in 1951 to make it more consistent with The Lord of the Rings. Originally Bilbo won the ring in the riddle game--meaning Gollum was going to give it to him if he won--but not only is that inconsistent with its nature in the sequel, but I've read the original version of that chapter and it's not as good--at all--just by itself.

All that's left of that original version is the fact that Bilbo was said to have written that account in his memoirs within The Lord of the Rings, but Gandalf got the "real story" out of him.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

So better that the Hobbit was revised?
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Ohhhhh! Ok, fair enough I can't compare that myself having not read the original. But my main point still stands - as it is, the original Gunslinger is in no way inconsistent with the rest of the series. Infact, it could be argued that what is inconsistent is that Walter and Marten are the same person which is not apparent in either versions of The Gunslinger.

My Mood
    Angelic

@Matt: Yes, even without The Lord of the Rings I think the revised account is better (with the possible exception of Bilbo's pity on Gollum, which dragged that chapter out a little).

Ohhhhh! Ok, fair enough I can't compare that myself having not read the original. But my main point still stands - as it is, the original Gunslinger is in no way inconsistent with the rest of the series. Infact, it could be argued that what is inconsistent is that Walter and Marten are the same person which is not apparent in either versions of The Gunslinger.
    What about Roland reading a magazine in a world where paper is a scarce commodity? Or Alain's name being different? Granted, not having read the original, I don't know too many more of the changes made (which is why I wish thedarktower.net were still up), but I do remember hearing about those, and those are DEFINITELY inconsistent.

(And as for The Hobbit, I have The Annotated Hobbit which is how I was able to read the original account--in other words, I don't actually have the original 1937 edition of the book. )

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Curse you, you've spurred me on to a mission...sometime over the weekend I'll post the differences

My Mood
    Angelic

Curse you, you've spurred me on to a mission...sometime over the weekend I'll post the differences
    Yay!

Seriously, thanks--I really would like to see them! Heck, even if I end up changing my mind it would still be neat to see exactly how he revised it!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

But my main point still stands - as it is, the original Gunslinger is in no way inconsistent with the rest of the series.
    That's the point I have always maintained, too.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast