Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: How Do You Rank The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Overall?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • I loved it - 5

28 47.46%
  • I liked it - 4

19 32.20%
  • Average - 3

8 13.56%
  • Only so-so - 2

3 5.08%
  • I didn't like it - 1

1 1.69%
  • Never Read

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Gunslinger--Bracket 3 Runner-Up

Forgetful Fantasy-Maker Tiffany is on a distinguished road Tiffany's Avatar

Toronto, Ontario (but I'll probably always call Texas home).
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked the original better. I didn't hate the revised...just liked the original better. I liked the mystery and intrigue of it.

I voted 5. No other book, ever in life, has hooked me so completely from the very first line to the very last.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain

Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me....Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
    -Shel Silverstein

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

My initial reaction when the revised came out was then I read it and went back and read the original again. I really think King made the wrong decision on this one. He really should have walked away from the pen/pencil/computer that day.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    My initial reaction when the revised came out was then I read it and went back and read the original again. I really think King made the wrong decision on this one. He really should have walked away from the pen/pencil/computer that day.
    And on the following day just to be on the safe side.

Roland would have understood.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, absolutely.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    If I could I would give it 10.
    Me, too.

Traveler wiccangdess13 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I liked the original Gunslinger. But I have also read the revised Gunslinger and was highly disappointed in the changes King made to adapt it to the later books. It just made it so trivial by changing the original work that brought him to the later books/stories in the 1st place. Like how Steven Deschain was originally refered to as Roland the elder not Steven.

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Meh, the changes amounted to so little, and they werent rather significant...I don't see that it was a big deal one way or the other. I don't feel that it so much changed the story as it gave a bit more detail and tied it in a bit better with the backstory given in Wizard and Glass. It is like what King says about his books that are adapted into films. If you don't like it, big deal. The original work will always exist for you to enjoy.

That was the biggest reason that I combined both versions into just one listing for the vote. There is no sense in having two stories that are nearly identical compete with each other. Though I do think that we need to set up a comparison page in the manner that the old .net site had. If nothing else, I think that the conversation in this thread shows it is something desirable.

*has someone perfect in mind for the project*
    Heng Dai

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Meh, the changes amounted to so little, and they werent rather significant...I don't see that it was a big deal one way or the other. I don't feel that it so much changed the story as it gave a bit more detail and tied it in a bit better with the backstory given in Wizard and Glass. It is like what King says about his books that are adapted into films. If you don't like it, big deal. The original work will always exist for you to enjoy.

That was the biggest reason that I combined both versions into just one listing for the vote. There is no sense in having two stories that are nearly identical compete with each other. Though I do think that we need to set up a comparison page in the manner that the old .net site had. If nothing else, I think that the conversation in this thread shows it is something desirable.

*has someone perfect in mind for the project*
    I second the motion!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

...and who is it?

*waits*

If you rescue me

Traveler wiccangdess13 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

So if I have to rate them all I would have to say DT III Wastelands #1, DT IV Wizard and Glass #2, DT V Wolves of the Calla #3, DT VII The Dark Tower #4, DT I Gunslinger(original) #5, DT VI Song of Suzannah #6, DT II Drawing of Three #7, Little Sisters #8 and revised Gunslinger #9 because it wasn't necessary.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

This entire forum is for voting on which King book overall is best.

Love your rating system but feel free to vote on the individual books out in the forum if you would like.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3