Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The *declining* Stephen King Market

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Patrick,

I don't know how other collectors feel, but if I buy a signed book from an event like the NY event, I would rather have the event ticket included.

Any thoughts from others?

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post
    Patrick,

I don't know how other collectors feel, but if I buy a signed book from an event like the NY event, I would rather have the event ticket included.

I agree. It's always better to get the ticket. If I know the person who obtained the book though, I'm less concerned about it.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

For some reason, perhaps because there is no SK story in it (which I understand why), I have little desire for the signed PB. It is great that the price is low for people that want it to have it at a great price.

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Min View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shnnrc01 View Post
    well i picked up a signed copy of Kings best american short stories on ebay for $50.its the second lowest price ive paid for a King sig (the $40 signed/limited Quietly Now was the cheapest).soft market indeed.

Damn, I want in on a deal like that!
    Here's one for $55.
    Thanks! That one had ended already, but there may be more. I'll keep an eye out!

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post
    Patrick,

I agree. It's always better to get the ticket. If I know the person who obtained the book though, I'm less concerned about it.
    I'd much rather have gotten it in person, (virtually no chance of me doing that with King though), or get an official publisher comissioned signed book, like the signed/limited Dark Tower books.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd much rather have gotten it in person, (virtually no chance of me doing that with King though), or get an official publisher commissioned signed book, like the signed/limited Dark Tower books.

Getting a book at an event, with an event ticket is considered a publisher commissioned signed book. That is my point about the seller offering a signed book with a COPY of a ticket. When they say COPY, your getting a photo copy of an original ticket. I think that is WRONG. Just my opinion.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I don't think the S/L The Stand will fetch $1,750. I predict $1,501.
    Bidding for this hit $1775....it's good to see that the really high-end s/l's do maintain their value...what it shows is that there are still collectors out there for the really scarce books...it's the ones like SoD and Colorado Kid that aren't showing a whole lot of movement, and probably won't for a long, long time.

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I just got a S/L From a Buick 8 for 300.00 .

It's one of the books I had to sell when money was tight, I'm pretty sure I got close to 450.00 for it at the time.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    Bidding for this hit $1775....it's good to see that the really high-end s/l's do maintain their value...what it shows is that there are still collectors out there for the really scarce books...it's the ones like SoD and Colorado Kid that aren't showing a whole lot of movement, and probably won't for a long, long time.
    I am glad to be wrong (I do after all own one myself), and I think your observation is spot on.
    Raise the bar!

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

I am glad to be wrong (I do after all own one myself), and I think your observation is spot on.
    Raise the bar!
    Well, you might have been 'wrong' but it was an educated assumption that it might have gone for lower...I actually sold mine awhile ago (for $2500), so I don't have a stake in it, but I do have an extra s/l Gunslinger, and I think this shows that its value is still pretty high, poor market or not...

In other words, beachfront condos are still good investments, even in a real estate bubble...haha...

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

In other words, beachfront condos are still good investments, even in a real estate bubble...haha...
    Nice analogy.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Creepshow seems to be commanding a good price. This one is over $100 with 7 hours left. E-bay

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

That price amazes me!

John

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

The limited Stand went for $2000.

John

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    The limited Stand went for $2000.

John
    Glad to hear it!

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by oy-the-brave View Post
    I just got a S/L From a Buick 8 for 300.00 .

It's one of the books I had to sell when money was tight, I'm pretty sure I got close to 450.00 for it at the time.
    Congrats!

Seems like the market is still up AND down. With The Stand still holding strong.

As for the ticket/book signing, we must also consider the fact that it's relatively easy to grab extra tickets/promo items after the event. Quite often, they're just laying around by people who discarded them.

My point is that, though it helps validate the sig, it's never a sure thing.

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Excellent point about tickets just laying around.

That's when we turn to the "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't" feeling. Just walk away from the seller.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

When Patrick and I went to see King in San Francisco, we were able to get extra signed books, and at the end of the event, I politely asked for and was given tickets that people would have discarded.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, it is a bit of a double-edged sword perhaps. You could get a bunch of real tickets if you were there and then fake a bunch of book sigs. But my nagging question is that if the sig in the book really is real, why didn't any given seller get a ticket to go with it (like RF and I did) since it is so easily done? The only answer that I'm at all satisfied with is that the seller is so honest it never even occurred to them. But there's no way to know - you just go with your gut based on the posting unless you know the seller.

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Good point about the sellers, Patrick.

My Lisey's Story will always be a treasure because I KNOW it's legit. Aside from that (or any future signings I go to) I may just stick with Limited Editions.

Things are already going that way with Hill. Aside from the book RF got us, and the copy I bought from a book seller, I'll stick with L.E.'s and personal signings. It's a safe use of my money.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by NeedfulKings View Post

My Lisey's Story will always be a treasure because I KNOW it's legit. Aside from that (or any future signings I go to) I may just stick with Limited Editions.

Things are already going that way with Hill. Aside from the book RF got us, and the copy I bought from a book seller, I'll stick with L.E.'s and personal signings. It's a safe use of my money.
    Roger that!

I have a few singed that I know are valid but have no real means of proving it. I bought a flat signed 1st Edition of On Writing at a Rock Bottom Remainders performance. I'd guess that was authentic but have no proof it is authentic! Same thing for the Signed Poster that I paid $20 for at that same concert! :-)

But since I am not planning on off loading either item it makes no difference as they are in my collection and I know they are legit! :-)
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Citizen of Gilead jemaher will become famous soon enough jemaher will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by NeedfulKings View Post

Thats the real attraction to most of the S/L... knowing that the signature is authentic.

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Another reason why I prefer inscribed books over flatsigned books...

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

OK everybody stop your whining. A first Gunslinger is at $964.25 on eBay.

If you noticed I did NOT say it was a signed numbered or lettered edition!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-The...QQcmdZViewItem

I just might think about selling mine...

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    OK everybody stop your whining. A first Gunslinger is at $964.25 on eBay.

If you noticed I did NOT say it was a signed numbered or lettered edition!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-The...QQcmdZViewItem

I just might think about selling mine...
    I just saw that tonight. I don't plan to sell mine, but I'm still glad to see the price so high.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast