Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: The *declining* Stephen King Market

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    I think there's a lot of factors that push or pull the value here. Paper is a dying industry - no doubt. But there are pockets that are bucking this trend, and books are an example of this. Massive initial drop in sales with eBooks, and then a plateau around 2013 and small reverse/stabilising in the last 1-2 years. (How this will last is anyone's guess). This is in contrast to DVDs and CDs which continue to drop in the face of digital. Then there's this "collector's gene". I just turned 40 and I've always been a collector since I was a kid - stamps, coins, novelty erasers (!), Masters of the Universe, Star Wars, Ltd Edition CD and Movie releases, pop artwork, now books (a story i bet is familiar to many here, in different ways - maybe not the novelty erasers). This "collecting" mentality is fostered at a young age - getting three different Han Solos because of his outfits! I see this in my kids now and they're under 5. And I think King is a certain icon in pop culture that has mass appeal, so high demand for his stuff. I like Kris's idea, that when those with collectors genes get older with more disposable $$ flow, they grab the "books" (more accurately describes as artworks - which is how we treat them). While I collect primarily for interest, I also want to know I'm not kissing the kids' inheritance away.

Anyway, this is an interesting topic. I'd be interested to hear the thoughts from some more of the other longer term canon collectors here...
    Totally disagree with paper being a dying industry. Where it is now... is where it will stay. I am in this industry and can attest to this fact by the numbers. It was dying up until about 2010. It has stabilized. The biggest threat to small print Houses now is online printing. Vista Print for instance did 2.2 billion last year in the US alone. My numbers in my little store are now only affected by people like them... nothing else. I agree with the rest though. hahaha just my 2 cents on that
    That's why Video Watchdog just filed for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy after 27 years & 183 issues...Because the paper industry is doing so well.
    What does that have to do with what I'm talking about Bruce?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I moves a few posts about the King market to this thread.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to prove the point that the print industry (Books & Magazines) are indeed dying due to the closure of brick & mortar stores & newspapers falling to the wayside. How many newsstand books & magazines do you print?

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

In Australia, around 5 years ago there was a closure of most of the major bookstore chains, including Borders. However, in this void the smaller, independent booksellers have thrived and even expanded with the opening of new stores. These independent stores tend to have a literary and / or niche focus, have warm atmospheres where booklovers can comfortably spend time, have passionate booksellers who know their product, have strong ties to their community (e.g., charities, initiatives, etc) and they hold various author events / signings. Such places are growing in Australia.

I was also reading an interesting article on why e-readers had slowing sales, and people were returning to physical books, backed with some intersting stats. I'll try to dig it out (it was online - haha)..

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

My comment is not based on facts, figures or statistics.
    It is centred on the issue that we are still tactile beings. We still love to touch, feel and connect.
    I fail to comprehend how a kindle or e-reader subscribes to any of these essential factors. Yes, you can see that you have read thirty percent, how different it is to feel that percentage under your thumb and fingers.
    Until we develop to the extent that contact is no longer an inherent part of our make up, there will always be books.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post
    It is centred on the issue that we are still tactile beings. We still love to touch, feel and connect.
    I fail to comprehend how a kindle or e-reader subscribes to any of these essential factors. Yes, you can see that you have read thirty percent, how different it is to feel that percentage under your thumb and fingers.
    Until we develop to the extent that contact is no longer an inherent part of our make up, there will always be books.
    Could not have said this better! Nice Alec

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I would agree with you and hope that is the prevailing sentiment, but alas my kids and grandkids want and have "Kindle's"!!! lol lol lol

Spoiler:
    Sigh, you try to raise them right!!! lol lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Well said Alec.

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

I agree Alec, well said, the independent bookstore business is doing well. Many readers who tried E-readers are coming back to books.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    Just to prove the point that the print industry (Books & Magazines) are indeed dying due to the closure of brick & mortar stores & newspapers falling to the wayside. How many newsstand books & magazines do you print?
    Why does that matter though Bruce? Is this so you can argue for no apparent reason other than you have nothing to do? I work in the industry of print... you don't and never have. SO... trying to debate me on it.. is a waste of your time AND MINE.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

From a SMALL BUSINESS perspective...the King market is alive and kicking to be sure....if I have a "normal" November and December, I will set a new annual sales record here at Betts (at least under my "watch) which will be 7 years on December 1!!! I can tell you that with over 1000 customers on record, I do get 50+ new "youngsters" a year at least, so I DO THINK the younger generation is coming into the collector's fold and it is not just us (talking about me) old blithering idiots craving all things King. I am heartened by this trend and it has been steady (young collectors entering) since I took over the business....at least that is what I see from my vantage point.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Servant of Gan Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Room 217 Caretaker View Post
    The discussion of collector generations; older, middle, younger, etc. reminds me of a story I started to write sometime ago after a weird dream I had. For the record, I'm in the much older generation collecting group here. Anyway, here's a little snip it of the goofy story:

The Day We Lose our King

The day we lose our King (Stephen King that is) will be a dark day indeed. For the older generation of King collectors (you know who you are) it will turn into a nightmare so horrifying that you will begin to believe that King wrote it as his final book.

At first, the younger King fan generation will be in denial of the death announcement, but once discovered the news to be true, the denial will soon turn to anger, greed, and total anarchy.

The younger collectors, through violent actions, over powers the existing government to become the new governing body of The Lands (formally called USA). First order of business, compile a database of elder King collectors names and addresses for the purpose of rounding them up for final processing.

The governing body knows this won’t be an easy task, rounding up the elders, so they create lies to make the elders feel comfortable with the idea of moving to a new governing body facility providing a safe place to live, thrive, and most importantly, a place to store and protect their beloved rare King books.

The lies begin to work, the elders fear what The Lands have become so they begin the process of packing their rare books up in hopes of a safe place to live.

Let the final processing begin.

I know, goofy. Now back to the discussion with normal people.

Mulleins
    Love it.

Servant of Gan Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    From a SMALL BUSINESS perspective...the King market is alive and kicking to be sure....if I have a "normal" November and December, I will set a new annual sales record here at Betts (at least under my "watch) which will be 7 years on December 1!!! I can tell you that with over 1000 customers on record, I do get 50+ new "youngsters" a year at least, so I DO THINK the younger generation is coming into the collector's fold and it is not just us (talking about me) old blithering idiots craving all things King. I am heartened by this trend and it has been steady (young collectors entering) since I took over the business....at least that is what I see from my vantage point.
    Congratulations! 7 years and growing ever stronger. That's good news and thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. It was interesting to see everyone's perspective on the subject. A passionate subject indeed!

Country
    Country Flag

NICE insight David!!!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Congratulations, David!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

David

Great input and congratulations on a phenomenal year. But be warned, you and Betts are most definitely at the top of the "Final Processing" list. Don't listen to the lies of the younger generation..........you aren't safe.

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

David, thanks for sharing that information - great insights. And congratulations, you do a tremendous job.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    I have no idea what these have to do with the discussion, but I love them. I used to have these erasers as a kid way back in the day. If I'm not mistaken, they're W.C. Frito and the Frito Bandito. Thanks for the memory!

Back on topic:

David, has it been 7 years already? Seems like just last week you revealed to us all that you were buying out Stu. Congrats on keeping the business going and congrats on the record year!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is why I posted them:

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    I just turned 40 and I've always been a collector since I was a kid - stamps, coins, novelty erasers (!), Masters of the Universe, Star Wars, Ltd Edition CD and Movie releases, pop artwork, now books (a story i bet is familiar to many here, in different ways - maybe not the novelty erasers)
    I don't really collect them, but these guys I just never could dump.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

David, it's been a couple more years. Is this still your experience?

All, granted it's only been a few days, but now that a movie has been released (and regardless of your personal like/disdain for it): Do you think the new Dark tower movie release will have any influence, positive or negative, on the King collectible books market?

While we're at it, how about the upcoming IT movie(s) as far as potential effect on the market?
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    David, it's been a couple more years. Is this still your experience?

All, granted it's only been a few days, but now that a movie has been released (and regardless of your personal like/disdain for it): Do you think the new Dark tower movie release will have any influence, positive or negative, on the King collectible books market?

While we're at it, how about the upcoming IT movie(s) as far as potential effect on the market?
    My two cents (taking a break from work)...King market still vibrant...sales are still on record pace with me so far this year and last 3 years have shown yoy increases....I have NOT seen DT movie. I've read books too many times and have my own images in my head....I MIGHT see it, just because I SHOULD, given my position, but reviews mostly are awful.....I think movie does help pricing of DT stuff a bit, but not huge.

IT, on the other hand...prices been rising sharply for awhile.....movie trailers look awesome and buzz for movie is great...I think movie keeps prices rising.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Citizen of Gilead AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

I am definitely seeing more 1st edition Gunslingers on ebay. I have a search saved and normally there are one or two that show up each day. This morning there were 7.

Not a huge flood of them, definitely more than usual as I imagine people want to take advantage of the books/movie being talked about right now.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Glad business remains strong, David. Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Bump for educational purposes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 LastLast