Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The *declining* Stephen King Market

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh geez, I better start paying attention in case he has the DT III number that I'd like to find.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Oh geez, I better start paying attention in case he has the DT III number that I'd like to find.
    They have all been over #1000

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

It is not declining in all areas. Stu at Betts put up a collection of lettered editions this weekend and over half are already gone. Wow!

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Mr. Rabbit Trick? What'd you haul in??

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by e_taylor View Post
    Mr. Rabbit Trick? What'd you haul in??
    Cujo
    Christine
    Plant Proofs

Someone beat me to the Dabse Macabre

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

What did Stu price the "New Lt. Rap" at?

Gunslinger Apprentice PlayPhish is on a distinguished road PlayPhish's Avatar

I have a Lettered Danse Macabre if you're looking for one Mr. Rabbit Trick. I actually got it from Stu many years ago.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    What did Stu price the "New Lt. Rap" at?
    $1500

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Declining market or not, Stu moved most of those lettered editions at high prices...

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm just completely guessing here, but wouldn't their scarcity cause them to be affected less by the declining market?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I'm just completely guessing here, but wouldn't their scarcity cause them to be affected less by the declining market?
    Yes. The high end items will always hold their value.

Totally yes...but there still need to be high-end collectors to spend the money...as people lose interest and sell collections (as is the case here) there needs to be new collectors, or at least still existing serious collectors to still want these high end items...

It's all subjective, after all...it's only "high end" because we say it is, not because of any inherent true value...

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with you, Brice. The scarcity factor certainly helps the lettered editions hold higher value than their numbered counterparts - even when the books are otherwise identical.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by PlayPhish View Post
    I have a Lettered Danse Macabre if you're looking for one Mr. Rabbit Trick. I actually got it from Stu many years ago.
    I saw your one on the "Classifieds" thread, but it was too expensive.

I always go by the valuations on Thomas' site, and his valuation is $1500 to $2000. http://www.stephenkingcollector.com/limited/danse.html

The one at Betts Bookstore was $1500.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    I saw your one on the "Classifieds" thread, but it was too expensive.

I always go by the valuations on Thomas' site, and his valuation is $1500 to $2000. http://www.stephenkingcollector.com/limited/danse.html

The one at Betts Bookstore was $1500.
    I thought Stu had that one underpriced by quite a bit.

Underpriced at $1500? Really? The lettered Danse/Cujo are the least impressive...But, the market is the market...

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    Underpriced at $1500? Really? The lettered Danse/Cujo are the least impressive...But, the market is the market...
    Yeah, I thought so but others might not agree. There are only 15 of them. The only other one I could find for sale is on ABE at $3500.

Gunslinger Apprentice PlayPhish is on a distinguished road PlayPhish's Avatar

I agree that the recent Danse Macabre from Stu was underpriced. I was curious whether that was because the books were on consignment. I purchased my copy from Stu for $3k a few years ago. I know the market isn't that strong but when a book is being sold for half the value I'm very skeptical. Nothing on his site mentions condition. I certainly would not let my copy go for less than $2500 and that's already a $500 loss. Congratulations to whomever purchased it though; a 'steal' at that price.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It could easily have been because that was the price set by the owner of the book also. If I absolutely HAD to have some money, I would (and have) take a loss so I could be certain I would get the cash I needed. Slashing the price in half is one way to almost guarantee a sale.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    It could easily have been because that was the price set by the owner of the book also. If I absolutely HAD to have some money, I would (and have) take a loss so I could be certain I would get the cash I needed. Slashing the price in half is one way to almost guarantee a sale.
    It was the seller who set the prices. Stu said this in a reply to an email from me.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is what I'm saying. The seller may have intentionally set the price to guarantee himself a sale.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Stu takes a pretty big cut when he sells on consignment...

I'm not even a lettered edition collector anyway, so I guess my opinion on value isn't even that valid! haha...I do have a SC lettered and Talisman AE, but the prices were pretty good.

I agree that the recent Danse Macabre from Stu was underpriced. I was curious whether that was because the books were on consignment. I purchased my copy from Stu for $3k a few years ago. I know the market isn't that strong but when a book is being sold for half the value I'm very skeptical. Nothing on his site mentions condition. I certainly would not let my copy go for less than $2500 and that's already a $500 loss. Congratulations to whomever purchased it though; a 'steal' at that price.
    I confirmed that the condition was fine/fine with a fine glassine dj before buying it. I think it is the rarest of the King lettered editions.

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So you got this one Bob? Did you not have one prior?

Quote Originally Posted by e_taylor View Post
    So you got this one Bob? Did you not have one prior?
    I think this new one will be an upgrade in condition.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast