Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The *declining* Stephen King Market

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Default The *declining* Stephen King Market

I was thinking of selling my DT set (3-7) matching numbers...but the market is so friggin soft, id barely be able to pay the ebay fees.

Anyone else have theories on how the King Market will improve? Maybe with the revised Gunslinger?

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure that the revised Gunslinger will improve the market. Most folks won't hear about it. The comics may be bringing a new group into the DT world--that might help.

The DT market (since I've been watching over the last couple of years) does fluctuate. With e-bay, it's not always about the market, it's often about the timing.

I've seen a 2nd Edition Gunslinger go for $100 one day and a comparable copy go a week later for $230.

A 1st can go for $700 one day and $420 the next.

It's wild.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think the market is very soft, and I don't see anything-Revised Gunslinger, the passing of King giving it a real boost. Only my opinion, but most people selling now who bought at the paek are going to lose money.
    I agree on the e-bay timing thing, but the higher the overall price, the less timing has an effect. If an item sells one week at $100 and two weks later for $200 the pertentage difference is high, but the real difference is only a 100 bucks.
    I don't think you seee that type of percentage fluctuation on a $2,500 item.

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

But do you think that high profile items are still keeping their price? Maybe not the way it was a few years ago - but lets say we see a set of 1-6 Green Mile proofs...do you think it would go for the price tag it deserves?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Short answer-no.
    I bet The Asbestos Firestarter that Gunks sold went for far less than he expected-to the delight of the purchaser.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Short answer-no.
    I bet The Asbestos Firestarter that Gunks sold went for far less than he expected-to the delight of the purchaser.
    I agree, no.

Damn I can't remember who the bookseller is. Very Fine Books, maybe? just listed a S/N Salem's Lot S/N The Stand and Transgressions all at about a third off what they've been asking for the past year. Reason being, no one has bought the books at the price they set well over a year ago.

If your selling that stinks Dolan, but as a buyer I'm glad the market is soft. King items are too high priced. $1,800 for a S/N Salem's lot is just ridiculous, imo.

I haven't decided to sell yet. Doesn't mean I wouldn't entertain the idea of selling - but because of the market, I am not dying to trade it out.

Plus, with the new Gunslinger coming out, it might cause me to keep them.

Who knows. I need some cash for something I want - and the DT s/l books are something I didwant, but no longer feel the need to keep around.

Thus my thoughts on selling...

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Is this your only set, Dolan? It seems to be a holy grail of DT collectors. I don't have a single s/l, and likely won't for a while. But, I love the books I have!

Though the market as a whole may not strengthen, there's always the chance that you'll catch a pocket of hype (as you said with the new Gunslinger coming out).

Good luck!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Bill, it seems like the S/Ls of books 5, 6 and 7 would be pretty easy to come by on the cheap.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Bill, it seems like the S/Ls of books 5, 6 and 7 would be pretty easy to come by on the cheap.
    Yes, comparitively, they definitely are. I'm always looking for a real bargain. I'm a cheap-ass!

Quote Originally Posted by NeedfulKings View Post
    Is this your only set, Dolan? It seems to be a holy grail of DT collectors. I don't have a single s/l, and likely won't for a while. But, I love the books I have!

Though the market as a whole may not strengthen, there's always the chance that you'll catch a pocket of hype (as you said with the new Gunslinger coming out).

Good luck!
    This is my only set - but it's not something that is a holy grail for me...thus the interest in selling...but...I dunnp

Country
    Country Flag

*off topic* what is your grail? I'm sure you've said it before, but I can't remember.

A matching set (3-7) may yield more if sold individually. A collector would get the first and then battle hard for the remaining 4. I know a set sold (in individual auctions) less than a year ago. I don't remember the specifics, but the same buyer wound up with most of them. But, not all....

It goes without saying, but if you decide to sell, let us here know.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Roy from Badmoon books is offering copies #178 editions 4-7 for a BIN price of $2,900. That would make your 3-7 (assuming matching #'s) worth ~4K in this market.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedfulKings View Post
    *off topic* what is your grail? I'm sure you've said it before, but I can't remember.

A matching set (3-7) may yield more if sold individually. A collector would get the first and then battle hard for the remaining 4. I know a set sold (in individual auctions) less than a year ago. I don't remember the specifics, but the same buyer wound up with most of them. But, not all....

It goes without saying, but if you decide to sell, let us here know.

Well, my grail is the S/L of The Regulators or The Stand. Not much of a grail, but not having either isnt making me uneasy or unhappy - but if that means selling these books in order to get one of those (or both), then so be it.

I would entertain the thought of a sale if someone is serious about it. Randall's quote of $4000 is very realistic since I bought 3-7 and a PC copy of #2 for $5,000.

Really...it sits on my book shelf and I just dont care about it. I can look at every one of my books and miss it if I didnt have it. These, I wouldnt feel bad about selling.

The only reason I bought them was because a guy was going to sell them, and if he didnt sell them, he was going to split them up. I would rather keep them than split them...

So while I am not formally selling them yet, if anyone is interested, do let me know. I am willing to trade The Stand/Regulators as well...and work out a cash deal for the rest. Who knows.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Sadly, a 3-7 DT series received no bids with an opening of $3,000.
    E-bay

Country
    Country Flag

I wish I had some spare cash! I'm not in a hurry, but I keep watching.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

The market is as soft as it ever has been in my memory.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes it is, but some items seem to still hold strong prices. A few that come to mind are (feel free to copy this list and add to it):
    • The Regulator S/L (I used to have 3, I wish I'd kept them all)
    • Creepshow
    • Rage
    Thoughts people? What other SK books still seem to command good prices?

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

lettered From a buick 8 maybe.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Gunslinger Apprentice super sam is on a distinguished road super sam's Avatar

Itīs going to be interesting to see what the price will be on rusty3691 E-bay auctions.

Worldwide shipping with starting price on 0.99$

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrusty3691

Gunslinger Apprentice Airtraffic is on a distinguished road Airtraffic's Avatar

as RF stated I think that even the death of king would only bring a moderate rasie in price for a short period. I think the real price incress will be years done the road.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe if we get a successful movie?

I got out bid on the auction I was involved in
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by super sam View Post
    Itīs going to be interesting to see what the price will be on rusty3691 E-bay auctions.

Welcome to these boards, super sam!!

John

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quick look at prices from the beginning, and just a few years ago:

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by super sam View Post

Welcome to these boards, super sam!

John
    Yes, welcome!

There sure are a lot of matching numbers in that collection up for auction.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast