Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The *declining* Stephen King Market

Gunslinger Apprentice super sam is on a distinguished road super sam's Avatar

Thanks for the welcome.
    It´s nice to be here

Wow, some of the books have a 30%-40% lower market value than only 2 years ago.

Salems lot 1500$ to 900$ -40%
    Cujo 1000$ to 650$ -35%
    Six stories 1250$ to 750$ -40%
    Eyes otd. 1000$ to 650$ -35%

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I know what you mean. Within the past few months, I sold a PC Six Stories for $600 and a flatsigned 1st edition Carrie (NF/NF, not ex-library) for only $1000 to Stu at Bett's. Several shrinkwrapped copies of DoTT Grant firsts at $35 each. He wouldn't even make me an offer on 2 S/L Black Houses, saying they would go for less than issue price. And the one that hurts me the most is Gunkslinger sold a complete same-number DT set for less than $10k. These were going at $15,000-$20,000 just 2 years ago.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Gunslinger Apprentice Airtraffic is on a distinguished road Airtraffic's Avatar

Yeah, It really soft right now. It would have been much better if the seires would have continued.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Another one that decreased a lot is W&G 1st
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Gunslinger Apprentice Airtraffic is on a distinguished road Airtraffic's Avatar

how much is that one going for now?

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Airtraffic View Post
    how much is that one going for now?
    Once in awhile you can get it for right around $100. For months it held at $200, but has been steadily declining over the last year.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Grant Wizard and Glass

But tippy4 is current high bidder.

John

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw one go for 75 last month.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

John F. Kennedy flair is on a distinguished road

I was going to go for that W&G but the zero feedback seller drove me away. I think of this "soft" market as a perfect time to be collecting. I still haven't started on anything yet, but I have been eyeballing everything and getting a good idea on what I want. I'm trying to stay away because once I start I won't stop, but I know eventually I will give in anyways.

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by flair View Post
    I was going to go for that W&G but the zero feedback seller drove me away. I think of this "soft" market as a perfect time to be collecting. I still haven't started on anything yet, but I have been eyeballing everything and getting a good idea on what I want. I'm trying to stay away because once I start I won't stop, but I know eventually I will give in anyways.
    Flair-
    Welcome to the Collector's area. And, you are right, collecting is an addiction!

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I totally agree with flair's comment, it really is a buyers market right now.

I promised my wife I would stick to DT stuff only

as opposed to SK's other books
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Actually, I think the other books are a better bet...the DT series, being complete, isn't something people are going to start in the middle of, but you can always buy and sell an Eyes of the Dragon, for instance..

The old limiteds will be okay, though not nearly their peak...it's the newer ones like Black House or Colorado Kid that won't see any meaningful appreciation for a long time...

I don't see anything, movie or otherwise, helping the market in a dramatic way...I think it's going to stay this way for the forseeable future, with the only increase maybe a normal adjustment for inflation. Sucks, but oh well, and I say that as someone with a pretty sizable collection, so believe me I don't think it's very cool...haha! Actually, I've been paring my collection down to the core essentials, and as long as you don't need to sell, I think you'd be okay selling.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you Rahfa--that was some very useful information
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Gunslinger Apprentice Asterisco is on a distinguished road Asterisco's Avatar

Here in Argentina the opposite is happening. King books are more expensive than ever before...

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Intresting

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    Actually, I think the other books are a better bet...the DT series, being complete, isn't something people are going to start in the middle of, but you can always buy and sell an Eyes of the Dragon, for instance..

The old limiteds will be okay, though not nearly their peak...it's the newer ones like Black House or Colorado Kid that won't see any meaningful appreciation for a long time...

I don't see anything, movie or otherwise, helping the market in a dramatic way...I think it's going to stay this way for the forseeable future, with the only increase maybe a normal adjustment for inflation. Sucks, but oh well, and I say that as someone with a pretty sizable collection, so believe me I don't think it's very cool...haha! Actually, I've been paring my collection down to the core essentials, and as long as you don't need to sell, I think you'd be okay selling.

Good post. I agree...

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    ... I would stick to DT stuff only

as opposed to SK's other books
    Yeah, I told myself that when I started, too.

An addiction is an addiction.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Me too, Patrick! I started small....and plan to go BIG someday! I'm hooked.

Less than 2 years ago I paid $300 for all 7 Grant Editions, with the Gunslinger being a price-clipped 2nd edition and the final three in the series being the Grant/Scribners.

I still think that with W&G and the Gunslinger, I got my money's worth and could recoup if need be.

I admit that I WANT more. I feel bad for those who invested when the market was strong. I will still "buy into" that market one day.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I think she was mentioned in the ebay Auctions thread, but the person who I bought the Twice the Power proof (and I was the only bid) has been trying to sell her collection it seems. She's had probably 95% of her auctions go through with no bids, because the prices were too high. And I've seen her re-list some items at a cheaper price and they still go through with no bids.

Although I've seen a few go through with quite a few bids. A signed Needful Things I think had about 5 bidders and was at about $350 when I checked, but it seems for one sale, another 5 go unsold.

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    I think she was mentioned in the ebay Auctions thread, but the person who I bought the Twice the Power proof (and I was the only bid) has been trying to sell her collection it seems. She's had probably 95% of her auctions go through with no bids, because the prices were too high. And I've seen her re-list some items at a cheaper price and they still go through with no bids.

Although I've seen a few go through with quite a few bids. A signed Needful Things I think had about 5 bidders and was at about $350 when I checked, but it seems for one sale, another 5 go unsold.
    Yes, you are referring to Tinah3, who hails from lovely Canada to our North. At one point masybe 4-5 years ago, she was buying everything that came up on eBay and for somer pretty hefty premium prices. So it is no wonder that she is listing them at high prices...just trying to recoup her investment.

Gunslinger Apprentice super sam is on a distinguished road super sam's Avatar

Wow, a copy of the regulators S/L went for $475
    Two years ago the market value was $950 = -50%

Gunslinger Apprentice Ikilledthecrimsonking is on a distinguished road Ikilledthecrimsonking's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

im sorry idk were to sell SK books

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by super sam View Post
    Wow, a copy of the regulators S/L went for $475
    Two years ago the market value was $950 = -50%
    Wow...all those auctions went for pretty low money, Regulators especially...a lettered Borderlands at $378, Desperation at $270, and a Black House for $238 - wasn't the issue price $225?

I debated bidding on the Regulators, but the market is just too soft...and of course, it's that exact type of thinking that means a soft market will continue...

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

I think the regulators might have sold for so low due to the dent on the box. Otherwise, in mint condition, I think it would have fetched more, IMO. The lettered Borderlands had scuffs too, otherwise I would have put in a bid on it.

But then again, his other listings didn't go for very high, either.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I bid on that 400.
    It was the highest bid I've ever placed.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast