Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: Left behind

Traveler SmallDropletsOfWater is on a distinguished road SmallDropletsOfWater's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Left behind

The Left Behind series is one of my 2 favorite book series. Has anyone ever heard of it?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

There was a lot of discussion of that series on one of the boards (I can't remember if it was this one or TDT.net). General consensus was that it was pretty good. I haven't even thought of it recently, though.

John

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A friend recommended the series to me a while back, but I haven't read any of them yet. Which one would be the starting point?

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

it was about reverse rapture or something right?

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Gunslinger Apprentice Lady_Macbeth is on a distinguished road Lady_Macbeth's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

I've never heard of it. What's it about? I'm always open to new reading material.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

heard of it, yes. read it, no. We sell it at the bookstore I work at though.

Traveler SmallDropletsOfWater is on a distinguished road SmallDropletsOfWater's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Lol, I thought I posted but I guess I didn't. It's about a guy who was Left Behind from the Rapture. His wife and baby were taken and his 18 year old daughter was not. Many chaotic prophecies are happing and it's all about surviving to see the Glorious Appearing. It doesn't matter if you don't but there is a second chance for those who weren't taken.

Gunslinger Apprentice JQ The Gunslinger is on a distinguished road JQ The Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Im not a religious guy so wud i be out of it???

Along the Path of the Beam Beamer is on a distinguished road Beamer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Good series, have read them all...
    the Movies...horrible

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

not really into left behind, im a jew/ pagan and I have skimmed through a few left behind (that is read without paying 100% of my attention to the book) and I found stuff like that rabbi character who realizes "the error of his ways" and becomes a fellow christian soldier to really be a bit offensive (i dont remember what book it was from), I suppose It caters to a specific market and I'm not it
    though I do think the authors (lahaye and jenkins?) were somewhat influenced by the stand
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I've always been curious about the series, but I wouldn't like it if it is very preachy. I would only be interested in the story and not the religious aspects.

Gunslinger Apprentice Whitey Appleseed is on a distinguished road Whitey Appleseed's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Picked up a used copy of the first volume in a computer fix-it place...liked the binding, the colors they used, the title, Left Behind, little snippet on the edge, 'a novel of the earth's last days'. I've since read the first 12 in the series...I think they've since gone on to market a series for children, or something, and more.

Character development through action and dialogue, more dialogue, seems like, than action, but I could be remembering wrong. The supernatural elements are cool. I like the idea of a group of people banding together to battle, to stand, if you will, against a force that seems insurmountable.

Interesting take on Revelation and what the various symbols may mean to Jenkins and LaHaye. I remember (maybe incorrectly) that as the volumes are read, you're provided with the title, maybe some kind of unveiling of the next plot device from Revelation...the beast...who?...and in the last few pages you get it.

My guess is they either set, or were given a set number of words, pages, for each volume and stuck to that. Don't recall any instances of, 'and you, gentle reader, should consider your position in the galaxy' but it wouldn't surprise me if someone else read the series and came away feeling spanked.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the info Appleseed, sounds pretty interesting.

Gunslinger Apprentice Whitey Appleseed is on a distinguished road Whitey Appleseed's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed the read, Childe. I guess there was some character development through stream-of-consciousness, not a lot, as I recall, bits and pieces. The time spent with Nicolai Carpathia and his sidekick are interesting, the supernatural parts...Leon Fortunato, that's the sidekick's name. I kept my copies. Maybe some day I'll find the time to re-read them.

Traveler JiMiTHiNG is on a distinguished road

I tried reading the first in the series. It came across as to evangelical for my tastes.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

That is what I was afraid of. My dad is a preacher, I got enough religion to last awhile.

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm Jewish, so read it more for entertainment that preaching material.

I enjoyed it at first but, just like Wheel of Time, I had to stop until it came to a close. I made it up to the 5th or 6th before I realized that they were getting no where near ending the story. Unfortunately I then lost interest so never picked it back up, and now, I'd have to start at the beginning if I wanted to get tot he end, if the end is even here yet.

WOT was the same way. I got to 5 before I said the heck with it, it's not worth trying to remember the whole series while he write one book every 5 years. with WOT, however, I AM rereading it. About half way through #5 again. This time the end is actually here/on the way, so I'll finish it.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I read many of them a few years ago. At the time I was a theology student and agreed with their interpretation of Revelation for the most part. Unfortunately, I was struck by how bad the novels were written from a literary viewpoint. It was very obvious they began to provide very limited plot development in order to stretch the series out because of its popularity. A lot of the character development was terrible, Buck's in particular. Further, even for a series about Armageddon, many sections were just entirely unbelievable (when Buck survived jumping out of a plane or when Rayford went scuba diving to look at the remains of that plane crash). As literary devices, they sucked.

What really gets me is that Jenkins is head of the Christian Literary Guild, or at least he was at the time. I wish Christians would stop making such terrible art. Its not like good things don't exist at the indie level, but the mainstream perception is that Christian art is indelibly uninspired and pathetic.