Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Most Frightening Published Work--Nominations Closed

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

:X: Most Frightening Published Work--Nominations Closed

This thread is for members to nominate titles (i.e. books, stories, etc.) for the Award for Most Frightening Published Work. In order for a title to be eligible for nomination it must simply be one of Stephen King's published works, including any of his novels, novellas, and short stories. Titles published under the pseudonym Richard Bachman are also eligible.

To nominate a title for this category, simply post your choice in this thread. In order for a title to be placed onto the voting ballot for the Award the nominated title must be seconded and thirded, also in this thread. This is to ensure that we do not have an overly long list of contenders for the Award, and that--by virtue of the nomination process--each title listed on the ballot is guaranteed to have at least something of a following come voting time. Please note that you MUST clearly state in your post that you are seconding or thirding a nomination for it to count. Feel free to deliberate and discuss your choices in this thread.

While you may second or third a nomination more than once, we ask that there be only one new nomination per member.
    Heng Dai

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is a great category! But so hard to choose. It's easy to nominate Pet Sematary, it scared the crap out of me. But there have been some very unsettling short stories as well.

I'll have to really think about this, and get back

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

i can't decide. i can't decide.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'd like to nominate It. It's really the only book to ever really truly scare me.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nominating 'Salem's Lot. That one not only scared me, but lots of my friends. My college roommate couldn't sleep for over a week because she kept hearing scratches on the window!

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

'Salem's Lot seconded. And I'd like to nominate Pet Sematary.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Not nominating it myself (because I haven't read it), but I've seen the movie Misery--the ONLY MOVIE EVER to continue to give me palpitations long after it was over....

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second Pet Semetary and would like to nominate The Shining. The scene with room 217 had my heart pounding.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I'd like to second It.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll second the Shining and third Pet Semetary, 'Salem's Lot and It.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I nominate the regulators
    TAK AH WAN!!!TAK AL AAH!! MI HIM EN TOW!!!! (head explodes)
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm thirding IT. First time I read it, I had to put it under a pile of books everytime I went to bed...just incase nothing...got out

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    I'm thirding IT. First time I read it, I had to put it under a pile of books everytime I went to bed...just incase nothing...got out
    I already thirded It. You'll have to either second my third or fourth IT.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm nominating Desperation - there are several creepy as hell moments in that book.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

I second Desperation.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm nominating Night Shift. This is the most terrifying collection I've ever read.

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I nominate 1408 from Everything's Eventual. Most effectively written short story I've ever read.
    Heng Dai

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    I already thirded It. You'll have to either second my third or fourth IT.
    I'm just saying "thirded" to everything thats already been seconded or thirded, save counting how many votes it's had.
    /lazy bitch

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I nominate 1408 from Everything's Eventual. Most effectively written short story I've ever read.
    Seconded

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

And I'll third 1408 and nominate [Misery.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Second Misery

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I would like to nominate The Stand. Incurable diseases scare the shit out of me.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

I nominate Thinner! That book really got me!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Can I nominate Dreamcatcher, too?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast