Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Best Protagonist--Nominations Closed

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Attention: "1" means the character hasn't been seconded yet!

Ralph Roberts 4
    Jack Sawyer 7
    Roland Deschain 4
    The Losers 4
    Stu Redman 2
    Larry Underwood 3
    Paul Edgecombe 1
    Trisha MacFarland 4
    Danny 3
    Thad Beaumont 3
    Rose Daniels 2
    Jonathan (Johnny) Marinville 5

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Third Stu and Rose and second Paul Edgecombe.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I hate to push*, but won't anybody nominate Edgar Freemantle? I would have, but I've already spent my nomination on someone who could as well do without me (Larry Underwood)

*Liar! liar!!!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I will gladly nominate Edgar Freemantle. I feel ashamed for not having thought of it myself. He's one of my favorite characters that King has created. I know he has his flaws but I just absolutely fell in love with him while reading Duma Key.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I'll second Edgar, though really it's thirding him as Jean gets an automatic second on this one.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Just in case, third Edgar Freemantle.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

so can i nominate ted brautigan?

I don't see why not Turtlesong. I would certainly consider Ted the protagonist of Low Men in Yellow Coats.

If he counts, I'll second Ted.

Country
    Country Flag

ohh gr gr gr, someone already nominated him as Secondary... I'll attend to all updates tomorrow morning (about 24 hours from now)

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    ohh gr gr gr, someone already nominated him as Secondary... I'll attend to all updates tomorrow morning (about 24 hours from now)
    Can he not be both? He is secondary in DT-7, but a protagonist in Hearts in Atlantis. I don't understand why we can't judge characters independently in each of the works they are in. I have the same issue with Flagg, but I didn't want to make a big deal of it.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I actually agree with Jayson on this. In some stories characters are major and in others they are tertiary.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

I dont see why Ted Brautigan couldnt be voted upon in two categories.
    He played two different roles in two different published works, so both roles should be considered.

I dont mean to make the organization of the threads more confusing,
    it just seems to make sense that the character get recognition for having performed in both roles. Some people may think Ted was a lousy main character, but an awesome supporting character.

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ted Brautigan shouldn't be technically a protagonist. The reason being that he did not appear throughout the entirety of Hearts in Atlantis, and he was still just a supporting character in Low Men in Yellow Coats, because Bobby Garfield is the character that the story centered around. And if you really take the entire book as a whole, it was about all of these different people and their relationships with Carol Gerber. It is part of the reason that I love the book so much. Because it is the only book I've ever read where the story is never told from the POV of the central character, which is Carol.

That is just my opinion. If you read over the eligibility for a protagonist, I just don't think that Ted meets all of the requirements.

As far as the Loser's Club goes, though, I would say that they all are protagonists except for Stan Uris, since he didn't live (in the present tense) past the first third of the book. He had no direct affect on the outcome. So people could technically nominate any of them except for him.
    Heng Dai

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I nominate Stan Uris...just cause you said we can't.

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

Nomination
    Heng Dai

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, come on! The only thing keeping him from being a protagonist and keeping him from being heroic even is that he killed himself in fear.

Spoiler:
    Besides, noone else is gonna' vote for the Loser.

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

Heng Dai

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    That is just my opinion. If you read over the eligibility for a protagonist, I just don't think that Ted meets all of the requirements.
    That was actually a pretty convincing argument. Makes sense to me. Sorry Ted.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

okay, that logic makes sense to me as well. sorry ted. back to minor status with you.
    < ----- directed to ted not you guys.

Country
    Country Flag

Attention: "1" means the character hasn't been seconded yet!

Ralph Roberts 4
    Jack Sawyer 7
    Roland Deschain 4
    The Losers 4
    Stu Redman 2
    Larry Underwood 3
    Paul Edgecombe 1
    Trisha MacFarland 4
    Danny 3
    Thad Beaumont 3
    Rose Daniels 2
    Jonathan (Johnny) Marinville 5
    Edgar Freemantle 4

Country
    Country Flag

Have counted additional Brautigan votes in Supporting. Haven't included Stan anywhere yet.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I second Edgecombe.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll third Paul, Stu, and Rosey.

If you rescue me

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

What is Nick Andros's status according to you guys ? I thought he was as important as Larry Underwood.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Personally I agree, but I think they are not counting him as a protagonist for this...or at least not a major one.

If you rescue me

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast