Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Will you unwrap your copy of LSOE?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

36 90.00%
  • no

4 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Leave it wrapped or not?

Demon of the Prim Tatts4Life will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Default Leave it wrapped or not?

After reading the News letter about the 30-50 AE LSOE that could have a personal drawing in them, and how it also say that most of the books will remain in their shrink wrap. Then reading what both Wizard and Mulleins have said.
    Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post
    I've placed my order.

I couldn't help myself but, when I placed the order for the AE editions I started humming "I've got a golden ticket" from Willy Wonka This reminds of that. You have to buy AE editions to find the ticket. Class Dismissed.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    When I told my wife about the "hidden remarques" she started singing the same song! THAT is too cool for words.
    My question is, Will you unwrap your book to see if you are one of those lucky few to have a hand drawn picture in yours? And a second question Do you think removing the shrink wrap detracts from the book value, Or does it not matter to you?

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tatts4Life View Post
    After reading the News letter about the 30-50 AE LSOE that could have a personal drawing in them, and how it also say that most of the books will remain in their shrink wrap. Then reading what both Wizard and Mulleins have said.
    Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post
    I've placed my order.

I couldn't help myself but, when I placed the order for the AE editions I started humming "I've got a golden ticket" from Willy Wonka This reminds of that. You have to buy AE editions to find the ticket. Class Dismissed.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    When I told my wife about the "hidden remarques" she started singing the same song! THAT is too cool for words.
    My question is, Will you unwrap your book to see if you are one of those lucky few to have a hand drawn picture in yours? And a second question Do you think removing the shrink wrap detracts from the book value, Or does it not matter to you?
    Imagine if Charlie didn't open his wrapper up on the last chocolate bar he bought. First, it would have made for a very short movie. Second, He would have missed out. He didn't hesitate......Now he owns all the chocolate.

I'm not hesitating. I will open my copies. IMO....it doesn't hurt the value.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I am never selling my copy so why not open it up! :-)

Personally, I do not own any valuable King book that is still in shrinkwrap; in addition, when you see auctions that state new still in shrink wrap (to get the bidding higher in some cases) be wary that the seller might just have the capability to shrinkwrap anything they own. it's not that big a deal IMHO. :-)

Besides what if per chance an unsigned copy slipped through the cracks; if you never open it up you would never know that you didn't get what you paid for! Yes, be gentle with what you open up, but do indeed open it up - that's my recommendation and I'm sticking by it! :-)
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I posed a similar question to a very knowledgeable collector here on this website, and he pointed out some common sense that had soared over my head.

We go to such extremes to keep books in pristine condition, archival brodart jackets, etc. But the shrinkwrap is NOT acid neutral, and if left for years could damage the book/jacket/slipcase.

Add in the possibility that a signature is missing from your copy, and you wouldn't want to sell it ten years from now to someone who opens it to find no signature!

As a bonus this time around, the hidden remarques, and I'll definitely be opening my copies.

As has also been mentioned before, sealed copies tend to be more attractive to the speculator as opposed to the collector.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Open, definitely and I agree, shrinkwrap can come off without detracting from the value in a collector's mind. Acknowledge that there are people who will pay higher prices for shrinkwrapped items.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Country
    Country Flag

Well you all make great points and I see you all feel the way I do when it comes to the value of a book. I just hope that my wife does buy me an AE of LSOE Christmas since she's being such a tease about if she's getting me one or not.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

No brainer, open...in fact, buying a shrinkwrapped copy on the secondary market isn't guarantee of anything...I think you can shrinkwrap things at many crafts stores for a pittance.

Along the Path of the Beam The Red Rose is on a distinguished road The Red Rose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

We will be opening it without doubt. If that golden ticket is there then

Just think if there is a remarque in your copy and you never get to see it because you choose to not remove the shrink wrap. Wear cotton gloves and handle with care, store correctly and the value will remain regardless of the wrapper IMO.
    The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.

Music is the language of the heart, the sound of the soul. The more we understand it, the deeper the listening experience becomes.

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/4120/silversurfer2xk1.jpg

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

You can very easily...and with a little effort you can do it as well as the original shrinkwrapping was done.

I can't even imagine not ever opening a book. It makes me sad just to think about it.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Along the Path of the Beam The Red Rose is on a distinguished road The Red Rose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Exactly Brice, what a waste it would be!
    The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.

Music is the language of the heart, the sound of the soul. The more we understand it, the deeper the listening experience becomes.

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/4120/silversurfer2xk1.jpg

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll be opening mine.

John

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Will the person who voted no please come in and offer your thoughts as to why not?

Gunslinger Apprentice agrabin is on a distinguished road agrabin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Will the person who voted no please come in and offer your thoughts as to why not?

It wasn't me who voted no, and I haven't voted yet...
    ...but consider this...

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search

Schrödinger's Cat: A cat, along with a flask containing a poison, is placed in a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence. If a Geiger counter detects radiation then the flask is shattered, releasing the poison which kills the cat. Quantum mechanics suggests that after a while the cat is simultaneously alive and dead. Yet, when we look in the box, we see the cat either alive or dead, not a mixture of alive and dead.Quantum mechanics

....in effect, if you open the wrapped book it becomes either remarqued or not remarqued..

...if you do not open the wrapped book it remains remarqued and not remarqued simultaneously..

..you can have one or the other or, in fact, you can have both..

..now, anyone want to rethink?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

If a tree falls in a forest...

Country
    Country Flag

LOL I was thinking of making it a public poll.

Gunslinger Apprentice agrabin is on a distinguished road agrabin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If a tree falls in a forest...

Put it another way --
    -- if the figure of 30-50 is correct then it would be safe to assume that a figure of 40 could be used to determine the odds of getting one.

If you buy an AE your chances of getting a remarque is 100/1
    I have no doubt there are those who will buy 2 thereby cutting the odds to 50/1.
    Is it better to open and be disappointed to find none or is it better to imagine that under that still pristine wrap there lies a 'golden ticket'.
    You decide.. or or

Gunslinger Apprentice nyy3723a is on a distinguished road nyy3723a's Avatar

Sort of the same reason come collectors will buy unopened packs of vintage sports cards and not open them. There MAY be a Mickey Mantle in there, but if I open it and its not there, then I surelydon't have one.

Ink Heart Jackie is on a distinguished road Jackie's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry to sound like such a noob here...but someone please tell me what LSOE stands for?

The words written upon this paper, are none compared to the words written upon my heart

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Little Sisters of Eluria.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

LSOE=Little Sisters of Eluria

King's newest just announced by Grant.

John

Ink Heart Jackie is on a distinguished road Jackie's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

OoOo where can this be obtained? And how much?

The words written upon this paper, are none compared to the words written upon my heart

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Grant's Little Sisters of Eluria ordering page

The price for the numbered Artist's edition is $95 plus $8 shipping.

They won't charge your credit card until the book is shipped.

John

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

If I had a million dollars...
    I'd buy me a copy...
    If I had a million dollars..
    maybe a deluxe signed one at that...

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    If I had a million dollars...
    I'd buy me a copy...
    If I had a million dollars..
    maybe a deluxe signed one at that...
    and a whole lot of Mac & Cheese

I wonder if anyone else knows what we are talking about

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

LOL
    With that song my girlfriend started learning english listening.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast