Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Protective Covers For Your Books

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Today i spent about 1h30 struggling to cover my proofs... and then i remembered that i had some "different" cover products, that i used years ago for one of my Werber's proof.
    I found the product back here and it saved me a LOT of hassle (a cover in max 1 min). So i thought that i should share it with you if you wanted to try.

It's called "magic cover", and it uses basically the system of the french flaps (is it the name?).
    You put a front cover, then the back cover. You fold it together (kind of), then use the sticky parts, you cut... and done.
    It looks a little bit weird because you see the french flaps... (and isnt quite cheap) but it saves a LOT of hassle! (i always been crap at covering books)

I finished covering my books in only a few minutes!

ex :
    http://www.amazon.fr/Modling-Feuille...dp/B002C2PYJ6/
    http://www.pixmania.com/fr/fr/930387...gic-cover.html
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Throwing in my two cents here:

As far as loose, wavy, or the extra thick effects that people have described here after Brodarting their books, I have found one thing that helps nicely: I stack my books (about 4-5 at a time, all of the same trim size) evenly with their spines alternating directions, i.e face up, then face down. I take the stack and place it between two flat boards lined with felt. I then weight the top board (again evenly) with about 10-15 pounds of pressure. I let that sit for 24 hrs (no more!) and when I remove the books, the jackets are tighter and more compressed and the books take up less space on the shelves. I have never noticed any damage to the book or spine from this treatment.

As far a protecting non-jacketed books I have found this technique to be a highly effective, if time consuming process. Link taken from the infrequently updated AwfulBooks.com.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the link.

Gunslinger Apprentice cgallagh44 is on a distinguished road cgallagh44's Avatar

Looks like I need to get some Brodart covers and start covering my Stephen King books. Not looking forward to the covering process because I'll have about 150 to do. But, I guess it's a hell of a lot better to be safe than sorry...
    WANTED: FIRST EDITIONS
    1. Carrie
    2. Dark Tower The Gunslinger
    3. Salem's Lot
    4. The Shining

If you have any extra copies and would like to sell please PM me. Thanks

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Just started Brodarting my books ... Damn waves!

Banned Ric is an unknown quantity at this point

My Mood
    Angry

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonsMovies View Post
    Just started Brodarting my books ... Damn waves!
    Do you have a bone folder? If not, you should get one.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I read that on a post previously in the thread. I think I'm doing them either too tight or too loose, but when I do when extra tight or extra loose, it makes no difference. I give up, lol.

Traveler Manco is on a distinguished road Manco's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

I just got my first pack of Brodart covers today. I started applying them to some of my books and noticed I am leaving a little bit of white around the borders. I think it is increasing the height of the dust jacket as well (some are like 1/5 of an inch taller). Will this have any sort of negative effect on the jacket over time?

Calling myself a novice at this would be gracious
    I would really appreciate any advice.

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    I just covered my copy of Just After Sunset, and used Brodart # 10-426-005.

This size (10" x 23") fits most of my Stephen King Scribner editions.
    I just ordered a 25 pack of these, hopefully they'll fit most of what I have except my Grant LSOE editions. I think I'll practice with 1 or 2 of my trade copies first just for practice before I move on to the bigguns. I'm looking forward to opening up these books once I get the covers to protect them. These "bone folders" appear to be just a flattened smooth piece of plastic/bone, I suspect they help crease and fold the protector around the DJ without damage. Any similar object would do the same, yes?

Thanks to all the regulars on here as well as SK himself that have really reignited me after a fairly lengthy dormancy. I don't have the time I'd like to delve more deeply into the forums, but find myself looking through here in any available moments that I have.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TCCBodhi View Post
    These "bone folders" appear to be just a flattened smooth piece of plastic/bone, I suspect they help crease and fold the protector around the DJ without damage. Any similar object would do the same, yes?
    Yes. I don't even use an object, I do it with my fingers and that works fine too (and I'm a nitpicker when it comes to applying Brodart covers, they need to be straight and tight!). As long as the surface you're working on is solid and smooth it should be okay.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TCCBodhi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    I just covered my copy of Just After Sunset, and used Brodart # 10-426-005.

This size (10" x 23") fits most of my Stephen King Scribner editions.
    I just ordered a 25 pack of these, hopefully they'll fit most of what I have except my Grant LSOE editions. I think I'll practice with 1 or 2 of my trade copies first just for practice before I move on to the bigguns. I'm looking forward to opening up these books once I get the covers to protect them. These "bone folders" appear to be just a flattened smooth piece of plastic/bone, I suspect they help crease and fold the protector around the DJ without damage. Any similar object would do the same, yes?

Thanks to all the regulars on here as well as SK himself that have really reignited me after a fairly lengthy dormancy. I don't have the time I'd like to delve more deeply into the forums, but find myself looking through here in any available moments that I have.
    I use a plastic knife as my bone folder and it works great. It helps to make the creases on the Brodart nice and sharp.

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Glad I started with a practice book or two before tackling the collectibles. The first 2 tests were pretty piss poor, but after that I zoomed through putting covers on, even with having to make a manipulation to it for 11/22/63 and wearing vinyl gloves that made it a little harder. I was like a kid on Christmas morning being able to open up the books that I've have in the shrink wrap for years. Unfortunately, I had no remarque copies. Now all the mystery is gone on the whole question of "Is it, Isn't it?", and now there is one less opened copy that they could exist in. It was fun to do though.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I always struggled/ fought with covering my books, until i found those : elba magic covers! Anyone tried those?
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

That looks great! Just kidding, I have no idea what it says, lol.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

It advertises with 'Cover your books in 90 seconds'. That's not fast.

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    I always struggled/ fought with covering my books, until i found those : elba magic covers! Anyone tried those?
    I have some of them.
    http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=...ba+magic+cover

http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_nkw=b....c0.m270.l1313

Country
    Country Flag

Are you the seller?
    Because i was planning to buy some more tomorrow, therefore if it's you.. i'll buy those :-)

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Are you the seller?
    Because i was planning to buy some more tomorrow, therefore if it's you.. i'll buy those :-)
    No...
    I also try to find the ´perfect´ one

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

That's an old tutorial, but thanks for posting!!!

Brodart has much easier options now a days!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

Since people here were still asking about how to wrap their books and most of the videos on YT were doing it wrong, I figured I'd post this official one. I can't make my own at the moment but I used to wrap hundreds of books for the book dealer I worked for so I got good at making sure no white would show. I was cringing watching people cut the excess with the dustjacket right there. So dangerous.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by skyofcrack View Post

Since people here were still asking about how to wrap their books and most of the videos on YT were doing it wrong, I figured I'd post this official one. I can't make my own at the moment but I used to wrap hundreds of books for the book dealer I worked for so I got good at making sure no white would show. I was cringing watching people cut the excess with the dustjacket right there. So dangerous.
    Hey, it's all good!! Sorry if I sounded wrong. Just now you can get sized covers, but you're right the less "customizing" the better!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey, it's all good!! Sorry if I sounded wrong. Just now you can get sized covers, but you're right the less "customizing" the better!!!
    Not a problem! I think though, no matter what sizes are available, you will almost always have to trim something to get a perfect fit with no white showing top/bottom, left/right.

I always used Demco sized 10 I think for most. I had a pack of 8's for the smaller books and 12's for the bigger ones.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by skyofcrack View Post
    Not a problem! I think though, no matter what sizes are available, you will almost always have to trim something to get a perfect fit with no white showing top/bottom, left/right.

I always used Demco sized 10 I think for most. I had a pack of 8's for the smaller books and 12's for the bigger ones.
    I like Brodart, but that's just familiarity I suppose. Doesn't matter in the end as long as the book and DJ are protected, right?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I like Brodart, but that's just familiarity I suppose. Doesn't matter in the end as long as the book and DJ are protected, right?
    Absolutely. I'll keep mine on unless I start to see a problem with the ink then I'll switch them out but some of them have been on there and fine since 1984, so nearly 30 years already.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast