Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: How to Vote

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

:caution: How to Vote

This forum is set up for members to vote in our first annual Constant Reader Awards. The purpose of the awards is to gain a general consensus of how fans perceive the works of Stephen King. It is something that members will be able to vote on every fall/winter, and it's just plain fun. The main category of the Awards is, of course, the ranking of King's published works to designate what the fans feel to be King's crowning achievment.

**Please use the Spoiler code with description to nominate in spoiler-sensitive appended categories**

Round 1 Voting

To cast your votes and particpate, please visit the subforum in this area titled Round 1--Ranking. In this forum you will find a series of polls for King's works. Please visit each poll and rank the featured title on a scale of 1 to 5, with five being the highest and one the lowest. If you haven't read he book in question, we still urge you to vote, selecting the "Never Read" option. This will help give us an idea of the least read books that King has written. Just another fun statistic.

The Brackets

For ease of voting, King's books have been broken into twelve brackets of five. The two highest scoring books from each bracket will move on to round two of the competition. Each bracket's voting will last only for seven days, at which point the polls will close and the scores for that bracket will be tabulated. The winners of each bracket will be listed in a sticky/pinned thread in the Round 1 subforum. Every three days a new bracket will be opened for voting, so there will be some overlap between the brackets.

Round 2 Voting

Once all of the brackets for Round 1 are complete, a new subforum for Round 2 will be opened. In this round members will be asked to grade each book on specific attributes such as: strength of characters, strength of plot, strength of the ending, etc. These "grades" will create a new score for each book, which will be added to the scores the participating books received in Round 1. The top six books from this round will progress to Round 3.

Round 3 Voting

Round 3 is the face-off round. Here, each of the six top titles will compete with every other book in the round in a face-off poll. The winners of each poll will be granted a Face-Off Point. The book with the highest number of Face-Off points will win the Constant Reader Award for the "Best King Book of All Time". The points will also denote the order that the remaining six books will fall in the overall ranking.

The Results
    Through analyzing the performance of all of the titles throughout the course of the voting process, we should have an extremely accurate listing of how the fans have ranked King's books, from #1 to #60.

Appended Categories

A separate subforum for miscellaneous voting categories exists as well, but does not affect the scoring for the main competition. This area is for lesser awards for Best Hero, Best Villain, Best Supporting Character, and so on. The contenders for these categories will be decided by nomination during a period parallel to that of Round 1 of the main competition. In order for a nominee to be added to the voting "ballot" for the award, it must be nominated in the thread, and then seconded and thirded. This is to make sure that we don't have a massive laundry list of contenders for the actual vote, and is also to ensure that it is a contender that will receive at least a marginal amount of votes, to keep things competitive and interesting. See the individual nomination threads for details.

Questions?

Members who still have questions about the competition, voting, or anything else concerning the Constant Reader Awards can feel free to post in this thread.
    Heng Dai

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sounds good to me. I voted.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I updated the first post in this thread to include a request to use the new spoiler button when nominating in misc categories.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I think the notices may bring many more to the vote, especially new members.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Which notices are you talking about, Matt? I don't think I got any.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

You only see them if you have not voted in one of the polls Pablo. There is a thread about it in The Path of the Beam.

Probably you are so prompt on voting, you don't see them.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah I have nothing better to do at work

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

When the appended categories are set up, I think maybe it'd be a good idea to clarify here just what is meant by "Best" in the various categories.

Are we voting here for the best-written characters? Most believable? Most interesting?
    Or for the characters best at what they do from an in-story perspective? Most powerful? Most spirit? Most/least appealing?

Actually, it might be most informative if there were varied polling on the nominees.
    Or maybe it's just me. Just saying.