Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic & Foreign Films

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Once you have seen those you need to become acquainted with sensei Kurosawa. Oh, and check out Zatoichi. Trust me.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

John F. Kennedy Hornet of Death is on a distinguished road Hornet of Death's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My fav chinese fantasy movie are the first two parts of A CHINESE GHOST STORY. Classic and just awesome. Cult!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I got Ichi The Killer in the mail today!

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Very cool Feev. Enjoy it! (I'm sure you will)

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Classic Cinema & Foreign Films

I wanted to make a thread about classic cinema. I also wanted to make a thread for foreign films. The two constantly intertwine, so I figured I'd make one, all encompassing thread ! There are a lot of films out there that unfortunately will forever remain hidden gems to us, especially for young whipper snappers like me who are bombarded with nothing but advertisements for American Pop culture films and are sorrowfully unaware of some of the finer films that the last millennium had to offer.

As stated, I have taken a covetous interest to both of these sub-genres in these past few months , and have been actively seeking out both type of films through numerous forums/websites. The vast majority of my netflix queue is now comprised mainly of films by Andrei Tarkovsky, Kurosawa, Hitchcock, Robert Bresson, Jean Pierre, Melville, Roman Polanksi etc, etc.

So, what are some of your favorite classic / foreign films ?

-Edit- Wanted to add that www.criterion.com is an excellent source for those looking to find films in both sub-genres.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Bravo, Feev....

....and it's no surprise that as I look down here... Heather is also reading this thread.

Some of my Favorite Classics :
    Philadelphia Story
    Gone With The Wind
    Grapes of Wrath
    Rebel Without A Cause
    Bridge On The River Kwai
    To Kill A Mockingbird

Some of my Favorite Foreign Films :
    Akira ( I know it's Anime, but it's awesome )
    Howard's End ( UK is foreign, yes? )
    Ran
    Maria Full Of Grace
    Entre Nous
    Trainspotting
    8 Femmes ( 8 Women )

I'm sure I'll have a bunch more very soon.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Errrr i don't watch many foreign films to be honest but 2 of my favourite's are "Downfall" and "House of Flying Daggers"

My Mood
    Gay

Actually, I'm sitting here and just a million more movies are popping into my head.....

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I love this thread
    I don't even know where to begin. I absolutely adore classic cinema. I have so many favorites. It's hard for me to narrow it down to just a few. It really is a shame that they don't get more recognition nowadays.

Feev, what Hitchcock films have you seen? And have you seen any of Federico Fellini's films? I've just started watching some of his. La Strada and 8 1/2 were both excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    ....and it's no surprise that as I look down here... Heather is also reading this thread.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

8 1/2 is an excellent film ! I actually have 2 or 3 more of ole' Federico's films in my queue.

The only Hitchcock I've seen is Vertigo, The Birds, and Psycho - am looking forward to watching Rebecca and Murder She Wrote in the days/weeks to come

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Pam, why is neither the excellent Pan's Labyrinth or the truly British cult classic Withnail and I on that list of favourite foreign films?

I can't include the Withnail and I on my list of favourite foreign films of course, as I'm British anyway, but Pan's Labyrinth would easily go on there! Along with:

Ghost in the Shell (love both films, true total mindfucks!)
    The Infernal Affairs trilogy
    Oldboy
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (hey, it was made in Italy!)

And there's probably a whole bunch that I just can't think of right now. Sure, there's a ton of American films I've loved from the past ten years that I can think of, and America is foreign to me (seriously guys: wtf a "twinkie"?), but that's not really the point of this thread, is it?
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    The only Hitchcock I've seen is Vertigo, The Birds, and Psycho - am looking forward to watching Rebecca and Murder She Wrote in the days/weeks to come
    How'd you like them? Rebecca is one of my all-time favorite films
    All of his films are wonderful but a few of my favorites are Rear Window, Strangers on a Train, Shadow of a Doubt, Lifeboat, Suspicion, Dial M for Murder.

And here's just a few other favorites of mine:
    Rebel Without a Cause
    The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
    It's a Wonderful Life
    Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
    Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte
    Sunset Boulevard
    Citizen Kane
    East of Eden
    Night of the Hunter
    Nosferatu

I feel like there are some obvious ones I'm missing

Edit - Just came back in here to post that I also love all those musicals from the 40's and 50's. Gene Kelly, Judy Garland, etc.

My Mood
    Gay

Oh, well, I wasn't sure if we were counting films from the UK as foreign or not. You know - foreign language film or from any other country than the US. If we are counting the UK ... I have about a million of those!

Heather - If you liked Citizen Kane... find a copy of The Magnificent Ambersons. It's incredible. Just so beautifully shot and really a classic in every sense of the word.

Rebecca is wonderful !!!

Heather - If you liked Citizen Kane... find a copy of The Magnificent Ambersons. It's incredible. Just so beautifully shot and really a classic in every sense of the word.
    Thanks Pam. Do you know if it's available on dvd? So far I've only been able to find it in a Welles box set that's pretty expensive.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

bears have such a lot of favorite classics they don't even know where to start!!!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Thanks Pam. Do you know if it's available on dvd? So far I've only been able to find it in a Welles box set that's pretty expensive.
    Gosh, now that I'm thinking of it - I recall seeing it years and years ago on VHS. It might not be available on DVD yet, except for that boxed set ( and yes, that's pricey! ).

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Favorite classics and foreign?? Wow, ok. Here's a list.

Seven Samurai (the best film ever made by any director)
    Sanjuro
    Yojimbo
    Ran
    Throne of Blood
    The Hidden Fortress
    Rhapsody in August
    High and Low
    Sanjuro Sugata (I LIKE Kurosawa's work, can't you tell?)
    Amelie
    Hero (starring Jet Li)
    Fearless (also Jet Li)
    Shall We Dance? (1996 Japanese release)
    Spirited Away

Operation Petticoat
    The Incredible Mr. Limpet
    I was a Male War Bride
    Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
    The Sons of Katie Elder
    No Time For Sergeants
    The Longest Day
    Arsenic and Old Lace
    The Wizard of Oz
    Miracle on 34th Street

and I think I'll stop there. That's just a little list though.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

My Mood
    Gay

Sam!!

I love, love, love the original Operation Petticoat!! Which, of course reminded me of Houseboat. Which also reminds me of Gunga Din.

Cary Grant. :sigh: So iconic, so smooth, so suave.

Let's not forget Mister Roberts!! I love that one, too. Singin' In The Rain, and yes, bravo on Seven Brides for Seven Brothers!

Oh, an of course - Cinema Paradiso!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I want to watch The Holy Mountain by Jorodowsky but I'm literally afraid to. El Topo almost shattered my sanity , and I've heard that HM is even more relentless with it's surreal imagery.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I really like Kurosawa's stuff. I just watched Stray Dog, which is a Kurosawa film that I had never heard of.

It's really interesting. If you get the chance, give it a shot.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

here are my favorite classics

Bell, Book, and Candle
    The Wizard of Oz
    Miracle on 34th Street
    It's a Wonderful Life
    12 angry men
    To Kill a Mockingbird

Does whatever a spiderman does.

So I was finally able to track down a copy of The Magnificent Amerbersons. What a wonderful film. Welles is really a marvelous director. Not only the performances that he is able to draw out of his actors, but also his visual style is hard to beat. And I personally think he's one of the best when it comes to cinematography. His films are just so rich in texture, and shadowing. And some of the elaborate shots he sets up are very creative. And this film had all of them.

It really is a shame that the studio got their hands on this one and felt the need to completely re-edit the whole thing without the permission of Welles. And then to destroy all the remaining footage so that it could never be remastered What were they thinking! What was left was still a beautifully shot and acted story, but I can only imagine the greatness of what it could have been.

My Mood
    Gay

Heather!! Amazing, right? So incredibly visual and textured. Anytime someone mentions to me how much they enjoyed Citizen Kane and the cinematography, etc. I always, always, recommend they watch The Magnificant Ambersons. I just love that movie.

Welles has always had a love/hate relationship with the studios, unbelievable the power the Studios had "back in the day".

Feev - I'm waiting on you to post about finally seeing Lawrence of Arabia.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Next up, The Hidden Fortress by Kurosawa

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast