Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic & Foreign Films

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Ah! I've seen Hero, but I haven't seen House of Flying Daggers, although I've heard very good things about it.

What about that new Jackie Chan and Jet Li movie? Yay or nay?

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I believe you are talking about Forbidden Kingdom? I have yet to see that one. I typically enjoy Li, though not so much Chan (though I do like some of his work). I am sure I'll get around to seeing it via Netflix at some point.

House of Flying Daggers I can highly recommend to you. If you don't like it, I'd be kind of surprised.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here are a few of the better ones from the last decade.
    Hero
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    Fearless
    Spirited Away

Here are a few of the best ever.
    Ran
    Dersu Uzala (It is in Russian, but it was made by Akira Kurosawa. Watch it)
    High and Low
    ANYTHING by Akira Kurosawa (the last three are all his works and even his worst is often better than many directors' best)
    The Samurai series starring Toshiro Mifune
    Gojira (the REAL Godzilla film, very different from the American version)
    The works of Kenji Mizoguchi, specifically The Life of Oharu

That should keep you busy for a while. Enjoy.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

For horror, I've never seen Audition, but all my Asian horror freak friends rave about it...in a "it's soooo sick you have to see it!" way

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

That's one that I didn't really care for. I just thought it was kinda slow. And I really didn't find it to be sickening at all, unlike some of his other films. Some are so graphic that I have a hard time sitting thru them.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Catoe View Post
    The works of Kenji Mizoguchi, specifically The Life of Oharu
    bears are happy to know they are not alone

I also love his Tales of the Pale and Silvery Moon After the Rain... and, of course, anything by Kurosawa.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone here seen Lady Vengeance? According to certain articles, it's the Japanese counterpart to Kill Bill.

Country
    Country Flag

Jean, if you are a Kurosawa fan I would assume you have seen Dersu Uzala. However, incase you haven't, you should get a copy of it.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Audition and all Miike is generally disturbing, but really good... Visitor Q being an extreme example.

I saw Forbidden Kingdom and it was ok. it's sort of a never-ending story, growing up kind of movie... the kid from it is in the Dragonball movie... you can watch it to see it, but it isn't a must-see..

i like all of Li's Chinese saga movies, Hero, Fearless, etc. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is good. I haven't seen much else... oh! go on Netflix and watch Three Extremes... then see if you can find the full films... crazy stuff.

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Jean, if you are a Kurosawa fan I would assume you have seen Dersu Uzala. However, incase you haven't, you should get a copy of it.
    it's probably the only Kurosawa I haven't seen! Luckily, Ms.Finkelstein has a DVD with it now, I'll watch it next time I'm in London - or before if I come across it

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stone, rose, unfound door View Post
    If you liked it, check Hero. It's another beautiful more or less kung-fu film.
    Indeed, Hero is an excellent film, and visually spectacular. Another stunning film by its director, Zhang Yimou, is House of Flying Daggers. This is a powerful film and it looks more like moving paintings than it does a film. Yimou has made several other excellent films as well as these two.
    I didn't care much for House of Flying Daggers. I thought it was beautiful at first, but it's kinda slow and I got bored after some time.
    Ah! I've seen Hero, but I haven't seen House of Flying Daggers, although I've heard very good things about it.

I wouldn't recommend it mainly because I don't like much any of these two actors and it seemed to be totally worthless. I usually go for kung-fu movies, but this one didn't look any great at all.
    Has anyone here seen Lady Vengeance? According to certain articles, it's the Japanese counterpart to Kill Bill.
    First thing is Lady Vengeance is a Korean film so it doesn't have the same kind of rhythm Japanese films usually have and I wouldn't say it's actually like Kill Bill. Tarantino has used everything you can find in Asian films in general and made a must-see out of it. Lady Vengeance is not so gore and so crude as Kill Bill, though it's a very good movie.

Another director I'd recommend is Wong Kar-wai, especially because he's made quite a few films starring my two favourite Chinese actors, that is to say Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung. If you like slow films without too much dialogue or action scenes (and if you like reconstructions of a certain period of the Chinese history), go for In the Mood for Love. It's certainly his best film.
    Now you have quite a long list to watch, don't you ?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

/takes notes

Lady Vengeance is ok. I think the story itself is a little better than the story-telling, meaning it could have been done better. I'm not particularly a fan of Park Chan-wook's direction. The two previous movies in this "trilogy" Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Oldboy are ok as well, but none of them really stunned me like some of the Chinese films I mentioned.

As far as a comparison between Kill Bill and Lady Vengeance, there are some vague connections that can be made between elements of the story (ie. a mother out for revenge and wanting to reunite with her daughter) but nothing that would make me call it the "Korean Kill Bill".

Like I said, if you want to see a film from which Tarantino borrowed heavily for the first half of Kill Bill, check out Lady Snowblood. Kill Bill is not quite as close to Lady Snowblood as Fistful of Dollars is to Yojimbo, but there is much in common.

Also, and I think this will interest you Feev, Lady Snowblood is adapted from manga. I know you are a fan of graphic novels, so I thought this might appeal to you.

Country
    Country Flag

Jean, try to get it through Amazon or maybe over ebay if you can afford it. It's one of his better stories. I would put it up there with High and Low.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Like I said, if you want to see a film from which Tarantino borrowed heavily for the first half of Kill Bill, check out Lady Snowblood. Kill Bill is not quite as close to Lady Snowblood as Fistful of Dollars is to Yojimbo, but there is much in common.

Also, and I think this will interest you Feev, Lady Snowblood is adapted from manga. I know you are a fan of graphic novels, so I thought this might appeal to you.
    Lady Snowblood is the one to watch for the inspiration for Kill Bill. It is also available in manga format and the manga is the original format not the other way around (four volumes as far as I know). Also good in manga is Lone Wolf and Cub. The movie adaptation Shogun Assassin can be heard toward the end of Kill Bill Vol. 2, but beware, Lone Wolf is addictive reading (28 volumes at about $10 each and worth every penny if you enjoy stories from Tokugawa Japan).

Also check out Hidden Fortress for the inspiration behind Star Wars. A Fistfull of Dollars was not inspired by Yojimbo so much as ripped off from it. There was enough similarity that Kurosawa successfully sued for royalties due him for the adaptation of his film by Leone and received 15% of the films worldwide gross. I'm not saying it's a bad movie, it's a great film. I'm just saying that Kurosawa made it first.

Also good in manga is Lone Wolf and Cub. The movie adaptation Shogun Assassin can be heard toward the end of Kill Bill Vol. 2, but beware, Lone Wolf is addictive reading (28 volumes at about $10 each and worth every penny if you enjoy stories from Tokugawa Japan).
    Absolutely worth it.

Shogun Assassin, which is good, is the dubbed-to-eEnglish language movie adaptation, which was cobbled together from the first two films in a Japanese series of Lone Wolf and Cub films (also known as the "Sword of Vengeance" series and the "Baby Cart" series). I have only ever seen the first two of the Japanese movies, but would love to get a hold of the other ones to watch.

Country
    Country Flag

Jean, try to get it through Amazon or maybe over ebay if you can afford it. It's one of his better stories. I would put it up there with High and Low.
    don't rub it in! I would buy everything through ebay, like all civilized world does... but they do not work for Russia! neither does Amazon, or anyfuckingbody else

::bangs head against wall::

I know, though, of a way to get it, but it will take some time... I do so much want to watch it now that we spoke about Kurosawa

::stops banging::

Country
    Country Flag

R of G, take a look at the manga series of Lone Wolf and Cub. The films are just some highlights of the series, and poor substitutes at that imo.

Jean, I have an idea, but will PM it to you.

Sam, I have read the manga. The same friend who first showed me the first two Japanese films in the series has all 20-something issues of the manga. He let be borrow and read them.

I agree with you, they are much better than the films. Books usually are. I intend to buy the manga for myself at some point when I have some disposable income.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Feev, check out a film that just came out by Takashi Miike. It's called Suikiaki Western Django. It shares some major themes with A Fistful of Dollars and Yojimbo of course. The cinematography is great, although I was hoping for a few more gun battles. The final fight scene is pretty sweet. Try to find a trailer and see what you think.

I think I would have enjoyed the film more if it had English subtitles opposed to the actors trying to speak English. Most of the actors had what I would say was a pretty limited grasp on the language. It kind of took away from the film for me.

You may remember that I'm always talking about Oldboy on these forums. I even had an Oldboy avatar for a while. I just love that film. I'm always interested to hear what people think of it after watching it.

Most people have mentioned Crouching Tiger, House of Flying Dagger and Hero. Of the three, I prefer Hero. Another good film that deserves mention is Curse of the Golden Flower. I thought it was very underrated.

Most people mentioned all the Kurosawa films, I will add Rashomon to the list.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

R of G, you should also try the series Samurai Executioner and Crying Freeman. When I read the final volume of Lone Wolf and Cub, I actually held my breath through much of it and didn't know it until I finished it.

Other excellent Kurosawa films are Ikiru, Red Beard, Throne of Blood, Sanjuro, Kagemusha, Dreams, oh believe me I CAN go on.

Country
    Country Flag

Jean, I have an idea, but will PM it to you.
    PM received and answered, thank you my friend!

R of G, you should also try the series Samurai Executioner and Crying Freeman.
    I was actually just reading some reviews of Crying Freeman a few days ago. It sounds like it is pretty interesting, and obviously you have good taste in these things, so on my list it goes. Thanks.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I can't believe I forgot about two of the best Asian films out there: John Woo's Hard Boiled and The Killer starring Chow Yun Fat.

Two great action movies. Both films really had an impact on western action movies of the 90's. Any dude who flies through the air guns blazing was probably influenced by John Woo's Hard Boiled.

Check these two out.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I now have : Old Boy, Lady Vengeance, Lady Snowblood, and Ichi The Killer in my Netflix Queue

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast