Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic & Foreign Films

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

PAN'S LABYRINTH LIMITED EDITION DVD (SOUTH KOREA)

32 PAGE BOOKLET WITN GUILLERMO'S ART WORK.

DVDs & BOOKMARK.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Meh, the upcoming Criterion blu-ray set is much cooler-looking:

But this one HAS been in my collection since Feb 2007.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by killjoy72 View Post
    Nice list Paul. Have you seen any of Guillermo Del Toro's Spanish films (Cronos, Devil's Backbone, Pan's Labyrinth)? The latter two are excellent and are personal fave's of mine.
    I'm pretty sure I've seen Pan's Labyrinth. Might need to re-watch. Not the others though. Looks like I have some films to catch up on.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by killjoy72 View Post
    Nice list Paul. Have you seen any of Guillermo Del Toro's Spanish films (Cronos, Devil's Backbone, Pan's Labyrinth)? The latter two are excellent and are personal fave's of mine.
    mine too!!!!!!!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

zelig: don't also miss Dogtooth, a Greek film by Yorgos Lanthimos, one of the best (and most disturbing) films ever

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Jean, from the moment I saw the trailer of that movie a few years back I wanted to see it but I never got around to it. I will make a note to watch it soon.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey Mr. Things, I love that Pan's Labyrinth edition. I check.hundreds of listings every night on eBay and I haven't come across that one yet!

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, and also, going to devour this thread sometime soon, haven't seen it before methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Hey Mr. Things, I love that Pan's Labyrinth edition. I check.hundreds of listings every night on eBay and I haven't come across that one yet!
    GOOD LUCK I ordered this one from South Korea in 2007.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Found one for $80, that's a little high for me, lol.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very excited that we're finally getting some of the best Marx Brothers classics remastered in 4K on blu-ray this fall:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=19645
    Universal Studios Home Entertainment will release on Blu-ray The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection. The three-disc box set will be available for purchase on October 18.

All five films in the collection have been recently restored by Universal.

SPECIAL FEATURES:

Disc 1 - The Cocoanuts:

Feature Commentary with Film Historian Anthony Slide

Disc 1 - Animal Crackers:

Feature Commentary with Film Historian Jeffrey Vance

Disc 2 - Monkey Business:

Commentary with Marx Bros. Historian/Author Robert S. Bader and Bill Marx

Disc 2 - Horse Feathers:

Feature Commentary with Film Critic F.X. Feeney

Disc 3 - Duck Soup:

Commentary with Film Critic/Historian Leonard Maltin and Marx Bros. Historian/Author Robert S. Bader
    Inside the NBC Vault - Today Show Interviews

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/...horse-feathers
    Universal completed restoration on all five films (including The Cocoanuts and Animal Crackers) last year, according to Peter Schade, vice president of content management, who is charged with the long-term preservation of the studio’s library. “I go to a lot of conferences and industry events, and I’m always approached by people who ask when Universal is going to restore the Marx Brothers titles,” he said. “I think they are known to have film elements that aren’t in the best of shape, and with the studio funding and demand for the next generation of release [such as Blu-ray], we have been able to do the work.”

Schade points out that a print of Animal Crackers was located in the British Film Institute archives, and it contains bits of monkey business that were cut by American censors, including the excised lyric “I think I’ll try and make her” from the song “Hooray for Captain Spaulding,” as well as a bit where Harpo, rolled-up newspaper in hand, plays “slap-ass” with a society dame.

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...language-oscar
    85 countries have submitted films for consideration in the Foreign Language Film category for the 89th Academy Awards. Yemen is a first-time entrant.

The 2016 submissions are:

Albania, “Chromium,” Bujar Alimani, director;

Algeria, “The Well,” Lotfi Bouchouchi, director;

Argentina, “The Distinguished Citizen,” Mariano Cohn, Gastón Duprat, directors;

Australia, “Tanna,” Bentley Dean, Martin Butler, directors;

Austria, “Stefan Zweig: Farewell to Europe,” Maria Schrader, director;

Bangladesh, “The Unnamed,” Tauquir Ahmed, director;

Belgium, “The Ardennes,” Robin Pront, director;

Bolivia, “Sealed Cargo,” Julia Vargas Weise, director;

Bosnia and Herzegovina, “Death in Sarajevo,” Danis Tanovic, director;

Brazil, “Little Secret,” David Schurmann, director;

Bulgaria, “Losers,” Ivaylo Hristov, director;

Cambodia, “Before the Fall,” Ian White, director;

Canada, “It’s Only the End of the World,” Xavier Dolan, director;

Chile, “Neruda,” Pablo Larraín, director;

China, “Xuan Zang,” Huo Jianqi, director;

Colombia, “Alias Maria,” José Luis Rugeles, director;

Costa Rica, “About Us,” Hernán Jiménez, director;

Croatia, “On the Other Side,” Zrinko Ogresta, director;

Cuba, “The Companion,” Pavel Giroud, director;

Czech Republic, “Lost in Munich,” Petr Zelenka, director;

Denmark, “Land of Mine,” Martin Zandvliet, director;

Dominican Republic, “Sugar Fields,” Fernando Báez, director;

Ecuador, “Such Is Life in the Tropics,” Sebastián Cordero, director;

Egypt, “Clash,” Mohamed Diab, director;

Estonia, “Mother,” Kadri Kõusaar, director;

Finland, “The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki,” Juho Kuosmanen, director;

France, “Elle,” Paul Verhoeven, director;

Georgia, “House of Others,” Rusudan Glurjidze, director;

Germany, “Toni Erdmann,” Maren Ade, director;

Greece, “Chevalier,” Athina Rachel Tsangari, director;

Hong Kong, “Port of Call,” Philip Yung, director;

Hungary, “Kills on Wheels,” Attila Till, director;

Iceland, “Sparrows,” Rúnar Rúnarsson, director;

India, “Interrogation,” Vetri Maaran, director;

Indonesia, “Letters from Prague,” Angga Dwimas Sasongko, director;

Iran, “The Salesman,” Asghar Farhadi, director;

Iraq, “El Clásico,” Halkawt Mustafa, director;

Israel, “Sand Storm,” Elite Zexer, director;

Italy, “Fire at Sea,” Gianfranco Rosi, director;

Japan, “Nagasaki: Memories of My Son,” Yoji Yamada, director;

Jordan, “3000 Nights,” Mai Masri, director;

Kazakhstan, “Amanat,” Satybaldy Narymbetov, director;

Kosovo, “Home Sweet Home,” Faton Bajraktari, director;

Kyrgyzstan, “A Father’s Will,” Bakyt Mukul, Dastan Zhapar Uulu, directors;

Latvia, “Dawn,” Laila Pakalnina, director;

Lebanon, “Very Big Shot,” Mir-Jean Bou Chaaya, director;

Lithuania, “Seneca’s Day,” Kristijonas Vildziunas, director;

Luxembourg, “Voices from Chernobyl,” Pol Cruchten, director;

Macedonia, “The Liberation of Skopje,” Rade Šerbedžija, Danilo Šerbedžija, directors;

Malaysia, “Beautiful Pain,” Tunku Mona Riza, director;

Mexico, “Desierto,” Jonás Cuarón, director;

Montenegro, “The Black Pin,” Ivan Marinović, director;

Morocco, “A Mile in My Shoes,” Said Khallaf, director;

Nepal, “The Black Hen,” Min Bahadur Bham, director;

Netherlands, “Tonio,” Paula van der Oest, director;

New Zealand, “A Flickering Truth,” Pietra Brettkelly, director;

Norway, “The King’s Choice,” Erik Poppe, director;

Pakistan, “Mah-e-Mir,” Anjum Shahzad, director;

Palestine, “The Idol,” Hany Abu-Assad, director;

Panama, “Salsipuedes,” Ricardo Aguilar Navarro, Manolito Rodríguez, directors;

Peru, “Videophilia (and Other Viral Syndromes),” Juan Daniel F. Molero, director;

Philippines, “Ma’ Rosa,” Brillante Ma Mendoza, director;

Poland, “Afterimage,” Andrzej Wajda, director;

Portugal, “Letters from War,” Ivo M. Ferreira, director;

Romania, “Sieranevada,” Cristi Puiu, director;

Russia, “Paradise,” Andrei Konchalovsky, director;

Saudi Arabia, “Barakah Meets Barakah,” Mahmoud Sabbagh, director;

Serbia, “Train Driver’s Diary,” Milos Radovic, director;

Singapore, “Apprentice,” Boo Junfeng, director;

Slovakia, “Eva Nová,” Marko Skop, director;

Slovenia, “Houston, We Have a Problem!” Žiga Virc, director;

South Africa, “Call Me Thief,” Daryne Joshua, director;

South Korea, “The Age of Shadows,” Kim Jee-woon, director;

Spain, “Julieta,” Pedro Almodóvar, director;

Sweden, “A Man Called Ove,” Hannes Holm, director;

Switzerland, “My Life as a Zucchini,” Claude Barras, director;

Taiwan, “Hang in There, Kids!” Laha Mebow, director;

Thailand, “Karma,” Kanittha Kwunyoo, director;

Turkey, “Cold of Kalandar,” Mustafa Kara, director;

Ukraine, “Ukrainian Sheriffs,” Roman Bondarchuk, director;

United Kingdom, “Under the Shadow,” Babak Anvari, director;

Uruguay, “Breadcrumbs,” Manane Rodríguez, director;

Venezuela, “From Afar,” Lorenzo Vigas, director;

Vietnam, “Yellow Flowers on the Green Grass,” Victor Vu, director;

Yemen, “I Am Nojoom, Age 10 and Divorced,” Khadija Al-Salami, director.

The competitive Foreign Language Film category was introduced in 1956 for the 29th Academy Awards. In celebration of its 60th anniversary, the Academy has created a complete playlist of acceptance speeches and a poster gallery of all the Foreign Language Film Oscar® winners.

The 89th Oscars® will be held on Sunday, February 26, 2017, at the Dolby Theatre® at Hollywood & Highland Center® in Hollywood, and will be televised live on the ABC Television Network at 7 p.m. ET/4 p.m. PT. The Oscars also will be televised live in more than 225 countries and territories worldwide.
    http://www.thewrap.com/oscar-foreign...th-85-entries/
    The race for the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film set a new record on Tuesday, with 85 countries appearing on the list announced by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

The previous record was 83 entries, set in 2014.

High-profile entries in this year’s race include Canada’s “It’s Only the End of the World,” directed by Xavier Dolan; Chile’s “Neruda,” by Pablo Larrain; Egypt’s “Clash,” by Mohamed Diab; France’s “Elle,” by Paul Verhoeven; Germany’s “Toni Erdmann,” by Maren Ade; Iran’s “The Salesman,” by Asghar Farhadi; Israel’s “Sand Storm,” by Elite Zexer; Italy’s “Fire at Sea,” by Gianfranco Rosi; Mexico’s “Desierto,” by Jonas Cuaron; Palestine’s “The Idol,” by Hany Abu-Assad; the Philippines’ “Ma’ Rosa,” by Brilliante Mendoza; Poland’s “Afterimage,” by the late Andrei Wajda; Romania’s “Sieranevada,” by Cristi Puiu; South Korea’s “The Age of Shadows,” by Kim Jee-woon; Spain’s “Julieta,” by Pedro Almodovar; and Sweden’s “A Man Called Ove,” by Hannes Holm.

Three films that were announced as entries by their home countries, Afghanistan’s “Parting,” Armenia’s “Earthquake” and Tunisia’s “As I Open My Eyes,” do not appear on the Academy list and were apparently disqualified.

All the entries will be screened for volunteers from all branches of the Academy over the next two months, with evening and weekend screenings taking place in two separate AMPAS theaters: the Samuel Goldwyn Theater in the Academy’s Beverly Hills headquarters, where previous first-round Oscar foreign-language screenings have taken place, and the smaller Linwood Dunn Theater in the Academy’s Pickford Center for Motion Picture Study in Hollywood.
    Synopses and trailers here: http://www.thewrap.com/oscar-foreign...ssions-so-far/

Country
    Country Flag

I think I did okay predicting last year's nine-film shortlist, but this year seems more difficult. I think I'll take a stab at it like so:

Chile - "Neruda": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwdpkvuWGuQ
    Egypt - "Clash": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5km7bDqMNjo
    France - "Elle": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-iBBgcp7PY
    Germany - "Toni Erdmann": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF4i7qyUysA
    Greece - "Chevalier": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOzVB57yCck
    Mexico - "Desierto": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIdPSVKZsD4
    Poland - "Afterimage": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rfzPErD1C0
    Spain - "Julieta": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATcsHdyFVTE
    Venezuela - "From Afar": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGxY3tu9mDg

This is just an educated guess based on trailers and articles. But I think that the consensus opinion is that "Toni Erdmann" is winning the Oscar. What the other four nominees will be is more difficult to see.

Country
    Country Flag

So if anyone's a fan of classic and foreign films, the long-awaited FilmStruck streaming service from TCM and Criterion is now live and you can get a free trial: https://watch.filmstruck.com/

Country
    Country Flag

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/os...ce-1201943744/
    Nine features will advance to the next round of voting in the foreign-language film category for the 89th Academy Awards.

The shortlisted films, selected from a record 85 submissions, are:

Australia, “Tanna” — directors Bentley Dean, Martin Butler
    Canada, “It’s Only the End of the World” — director Xavier Dolan
    Denmark, “Land of Mine” — director Martin Zandvliet
    Germany, “Toni Erdmann” — director Maren Ade
    Iran, “The Salesman” — director Asghar Farhadi
    Norway, “The King’s Choice” — director Erik Poppe
    Russia, “Paradise” — director Andrei Konchalovsky
    Sweden, “A Man Called Ove” — director Hannes Holm
    Switzerland, “My Life as a Zucchini” — director Claude Barras

“Toni Erdmann” scored a clean sweep at the European Film Awards on Dec. 10, winning in each of its categories: Best European Film, Director, Actor (Peter Simonischek), Actress (Sandra Huller) and Screenplay.

Dolan’s family drama “It’s Only the End of the World,” won the Cannes Grand Prix this year. Farhadi’s “The Salesman,” won the Best Actor and Screenplay trophies at Cannes. Farhadi’s “A Separation” won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film in 2012, the first Iranian film to do so. ”

Tanna,” a romance set on a South Pacific island, won the Audience Award Pietro Barzisa at the 2015 Venice International Film Festival. “The King’s Choice” is based on the refusal of Norway’s King Haakon VII to surrender Norway to Nazi Germany.

“A Man Called Ove,” starring Rolf Lassgard as a depressed misanthrope whose life is changed when an immigrant family moves in next door, grossed more than $20 million at the Swedish box office. “Land of Mine,” which opened Toronto’s competitive Platform section, follows a group of young German POWs forced to de-mine Danish beaches after the Axis defeat. It won the cinematography award for Camilla Hjelm Knudsen at the European Film Awards.

“My Life as a Zucchini” is a stop-motion animated film that screened in the Directors Fortnight section of Cannes and recently received three Annie nominations. Set in an orphanage, it won the animated film award at the European Film Awards and received a Golden Globe nod this week.

“Paradise” director Konchalovsky won the Silver Lion for Best Director at Venice. The film explores the relationship between an aristocratic concentration camp inmate and an SS officer.

Notable exclusions included France’s thriller “Elle,” directed by Paul Verhoven with Isabelle Huppert starring; Spain’s “Julieta,” directed by Pedro Almodovar; Chile’s “Neruda,” directed by Pablo Larrain and starring Gael Garcia Bernal; and Italy’s refugee documentary “Fire at Sea,” directed by Gianfranco Rosi and winner of the Golden Bear at Berlin.

Six of the nine films were selected by the Academy of Motion Picture and Sciences’ Phase I committee, consisting of several hundred Los Angeles-based Academy members, after screening the submissions in between mid-October and December 12. The group’s top six choices were augmented by three additional selections voted by the Academy’s Foreign Language Film Award Executive Committee.

The list will be cut to five nominees by specially invited committees in New York, Los Angeles and London during Jan. 13-15, viewing three films each day and then casting their ballots.

Nominations for the 89th Oscars will be announced on Jan. 24. The ceremonies will be held on Feb. 26 at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood.

Hungary’s “Son of Saul” won the Oscar in the category this year.

Country
    Country Flag

https://thefilmstage.com/news/nine-u...or-production/
    As we’re seeing with Orson Welles and Ingmar Bergman, a filmmaker’s work can live on long after they’ve passed away. When it comes to the Citizen Kane director, we’re getting a movie he actually directed next year, but for others their unproduced screenplays are seeing the light of day. Earlier this year, we learned that Akira Kurosawa‘s Edgar Allan Poe adaptation The Mask of the Black Death is being turned into a film aiming for a 2020 release, and it looks like it is only the tip of the iceberg.

The Chinese gaming company Jinke Entertainment has now acquired nine (!) unfilmed Kurosawa screenplays from Kurosawa Production Co., run by the late director’s grandson Takayuki Kato. Despite the company’s origins, these won’t be getting videogame adaptations, but rather fully-fledged cinema productions, the first being Silvering Spear, a Samurai story set during Japan’s Warring States period, which will kick off production next year, according to THR.

“We are deeply humbled that our first film project will be that of one of the cinema world’s most revered directors,” Jinke Entertainment’s Zhang Zhengfeng says. “We’re pleased to have the full support of Mr. Kurosawa’s family and team on this important endeavor, and will honor the work of the Asian film master by creating a high-quality production of one of his last film projects.”

Check out the synopsis below for their first production, which will be in the Chinese language, and in an interesting development, they note that other ones (which haven’t been revealed yet) could be adapted in other languages.

Silvering Spear tells the story of a samurai named Ishigaki Jyube who demonstrates remarkable marksmanship while living during the Warring States period, a turbulent time in Japan’s history. Ishigaki Jyube searches for a way to utilize his special talents, while not exploiting them for personal gain.

The Samurai aspires to be a leader who would help to usher in a peaceful time for all. Dedicated to this lofty goal, he refuses to casually pursue his marksmanship talent as a means of subsistence. However, as circumstances in the country go from bad to worse, Ishigaki Jyube’s spear finally becomes a useful tool, when he is tricked into a scam and manipulated by a gang of bandits.

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

https://variety.com/2018/digital/new...er-1202998364/
    The FilmStruck indie, arthouse and classic film subscription-streaming service will shut down next month, Turner and Warner Bros. Digital Networks announced Friday.

The move appeared to be the latest by WarnerMedia, under AT&T’s ownership, to streamline operations by cutting niche-oriented business ventures. Two sources familiar with the decision said the plan to kill FilmStruck was made prior to AT&T’s closing the Time Warner deal; in any case, the strategy aligns with the new WarnerMedia blueprint to shift resources to mass-market entertainment services.

The FilmStruck business will cease U.S. and international operations on Nov. 29, 2018, and the service stopped accepting signups on Oct. 26. A Turner rep declined to comment on how many employees will be affected by the closure or provide info on how many employees work on FilmStruck.

In a statement, Turner and WB Digital Networks said, “We’re incredibly proud of the creativity and innovations produced by the talented and dedicated teams who worked on FilmStruck over the past two years. While FilmStruck has a very loyal fanbase, it remains largely a niche service. We plan to take key learnings from FilmStruck to help shape future business decisions in the direct-to-consumer space and redirect this investment back into our collective portfolios.”

The shutdown of FilmStruck, which debuted in November 2016, comes after two other WarnerMedia digital units have gotten the axe.

Warner Bros. Digital Networks’ DramaFever, a subscription VOD service specializing in Korean dramas, was abruptly shut down on Oct. 16. One week ago, Turner announced that it was pulling the plug on edgy digital-content and TV studio Super Deluxe.

AT&T earlier this month signaled that it would move to restructure the WarnerMedia video-streaming portfolio. As part of announcing plans for a broad subscription-streaming entertainment service anchored by HBO that would pull in content from other parts of WarnerMedia, AT&T said it would be “consolidating resources from sub-scale D2C [direct-to-consumer] efforts.”

A source familiar with AT&T’s strategy said the telco is looking to eliminate peripheral projects that aren’t major producers of revenue. “They felt Time Warner overall had too many initiatives,” the exec said. “[AT&T] have their hands full. They have no time to think about, ‘What do we do with this growth property?'”

FilmStruck offered a lineup of some 1,800 contemporary and classic arthouse, indie, foreign and cult films and also was the exclusive internet-streaming home to the Criterion Collection of movies. Earlier this year, it added Warner Bros.’ library of classic films; WB shut down the Warner Archive service and migrated customers over to FilmStruck. The service was priced at $10.99 per month with access to the Criterion Collection library, and $6.99 monthly without it.

FilmStruck was developed and managed by Turner Classic Movies (TCM) in conjunction with Warner Bros. Digital Networks, overseen by Coleman Breland, Turner’s president of content experiences and president of TCM and FilmStruck. The companies declined to disclose how many subscribers FilmStruck had signed up.

Titles on FilmStruck had included “Casablanca,” “Rebel Without a Cause,” “Singin’ in the Rain,” “Citizen Kane,” “The Music Man,” “Bringing Up Baby,” “The Thin Man” and “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?” from Warner Bros. Other movies that were available on FilmStruck previously had included “Babette’s Feast,” “Blow Out,” “Boyhood,” “Breaker Morant,” “Chicago,” “A Hard Day’s Night,” “My Life as a Dog,” “Our Song,” “The Player,” “A Room with a View,” “Seven Samurai,” “The Seventh Seal,” “Thelma & Louise,” “The Times of Harvey Milk” and “The Umbrellas of Cherbourg.”

On Friday, the FilmStruck site posted this message: “We regret to inform you that FilmStruck will be shutting down. Our last day of service will be November 29, 2018, and we are currently no longer enrolling new subscribers. All current FilmStruck subscribers will receive an email with details about your account and the refund process as applicable. Please see the options below for more information or email the customer service team at help@filmstruck.com.”

Turner and WB Digital Networks launched FilmStruck internationally this year. The debut launch was in the the U.K., where it rolled out in conjunction with cinema operator Curzon. In June, FilmStruck launched in France and Spain with local films and titles from the Warner Bros. and Criterion libraries. Turner had appointed Kerensa Samanidis, formerly of the British Film Institute, to run the service internationally.

Country
    Country Flag

And here's FilmStruck's replacement, if anyone's interested:

https://vimeo.com/301256556

More details: https://www.criterion.com/current/po...ch-spring-2019

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe they'll finally bring it to Canada. Probably not, though.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

Launching soon in the US and Canada:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast