Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Haven Foundation Fund Raiser 2009--Ideas and Suggestions

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Default 2009 Haven Foundation Fund Raiser 2009--Ideas and Suggestions

I am beginning to ramp this thing up seeing as how it's November and was wanting any ideas and suggestions the board might have on how to do it this year.

I want to still take any monetary and collectible donations to the event, most will be auctioned off on DTbay this year. I am thinking the giveaway itself will consist of about 10 of the absolute coolest prizes we can come up with instead of that massive list from last time.

I plan to keep the 10.00 threshold for entry into the giveaway. That is donated or spent on an auction.

TDT.com store is going to be expanded to include a bunch of cool stuff including gear with images from Towerpedia! contests out there.

Obviously, I plan to contact King's office to see what we can come up with for a grand prize. Should be pretty cool.

Suggestions? Put them here, I will consolidate the good ones.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

Mayhap art from the powers of the Tower? HE HE Phil, Rick, Michael, Ned, Dave, Bernie and Darrel?

If you contact them, the worst they can do is say no, right?
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

usually I could think of at least one idea, good or bad, but this time i'm stumped. sorry.
    feeling better Matt?

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

To be honest, I'm a little bummed about the DTbay change.

I have limited funds and had a much better chance at winning something cool, than I will ever have at winning an auction. I just don't have the funds available.

Of course, I will still donate and participate.

Looking forward to the Big Give 2009.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

i'm a little bummed about the change as well. i've been scouting for things and had actually purchased a few things from auctions specifically to donate to "the big give" in hopes that someone would win them - not have to bid on them.

i guess i understand it. i'm sure it was extremely hard work for the ptb to get all those items boxed and shipped. if it's a postage issue, i'd be glad to donate specifically to that. if it's a packaging supplies issue, i'd donate for the purchase of supplies as well.

::shrugs::

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

The thread is here for suggestions you guys, nothing is set in stone. Still two months till it starts

well in that case, i suggest we raffle off feev. or maybe brice.

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The thread is here for suggestions you guys, nothing is set in stone. Still two months till it starts
    ...just feel kind of guilty if it makes things harder on you all. I mean, I know you were having tons of fun on the Big Give Night, but we all know ( and appreciate ) that it was TONS of work, too.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    well in that case, i suggest we raffle off feev. or maybe brice.
    Or they could just auction off both of us?

Spoiler:
    ...but if they did that they'd have to pick a new charity next year cause this one would never need any more donations again.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

I hardly think twelve cents will fund the organization

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, we also plan to auction your corpse after I *stabs you* for that comment. That should give us an extra half cent or so.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Brice, i wouldn't die even if you killed me.
    and it would get 17 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    ...just feel kind of guilty if it makes things harder on you all. I mean, I know you were having tons of fun on the Big Give Night, but we all know ( and appreciate ) that it was TONS of work, too.
    *i* don't feel guilty at all - i want to see drunken ptb again! seriously though, i know what you mean. but i really do want to see drunken ptb again. maybe this time someone will sing? or dance?

and brice and razz, really we can't leave you two alone for five seconds now can we? don't make me pull this board over and come back there!

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I'm taking the opinions to heart for sure. I want to raise as much as possible for this wonderful charity.

And it's starting off with a BANG!--I just got a huge box of books!!

i see you neatly avoided commenting on the drunken ptb issue! nice.

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I can confirm that no matter what there will be drinking.
    Heng Dai

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'ver already given Matt some books in Vegas and there are 2 signed Jae Lee comics headed to him today for the give. However best you can use my donations is okey dokey with me.

The only thing that worries me about auctioning off the "big" items, is that the economy is in the tank, people are cash poor and being conservative in their spending, and the bigger Collectors on this site that may (or not) have more discretionary cash flow probably already own whatever is going to be auctioned. Just my 2 cents.

And, I'd bid WAY MORE than 17 cents for Brice, so there!

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Very valid 2 cents there David. And I agree, the really pricey items will remain to be given. What I was considering for auction were things like some C Dance books--maybe a comic or two (unsigned) just little stuff like that.

I was mostly trying to stay away from the 56 items we gave away last year, maybe whittle it down to 25.

However, there is always a risk with auctions...it may simply not sell.

And I'm waiting to publish a list of everything I have gotten so it has some flair (when it gets bigger) but I REALLY appreciate your contributions. It's always that kind of cool stuff that really generates interest in this thing.

i think the 17 cents was the opening bid for razz's "undead" body.
    12 cents is the opening bid for brice or feev. your choice!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

In this economy cash is king. I agree 100% with David (wiz), Collector's will be hesitant to donate knowing what they give will not be purchased at a "healthy" price.
    Auctions are a PITA and unless you low ball each one to begin with, you may end up with no bids.
    As tough as it is we, IMO should spend the greatest effort on solicitation of cash donations. Even in tough times most folks can spare a buck. I myself will donate to one and only one charity next year-The Haven Foundation

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Matt, can you edit your first post to show the magnitude ($$$) of last year's campaign? The money we raised is an incentive to raise even more!!!!

As for a big "give," I think I'd be the first to offer a book for the give, but maybe we can just mail them personally to the winner...you don't have to do it all yourself.

Just a thought.

I liked the drawing. And I loved seeing you all get piss drunk!!!

needfulkings those are excellent ideas. i already mailed the portfolio but i could keep my books and just send them to the winners myself if that would help.

also:

:: singing ::

nobody doesn't like drunken ptbs!

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I just wanted to say I think Matt is on the right track. My thinking is 56 giveaway items instead of 25 will not get more cash donations so whatever the items get from Dtbay auctions is more money for the Haven Foundation.

I donated books to raise money and they were offered to be used in whatever way is best for the charity, if a 40.00 book gets 10.00 then the bidder gets a good deal and Haven gets more money.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I also think Bill's idea of the donatee mailing the item is a good one.

Also, the poker tournament was brilliant fun last time. I'd definately be up for that again...entry conditions could be that you must have already made a donation...is that what it was last time?

My Mood
    Gay

Matt - Maybe you could find a way to let us help? Not sure how, though.

( Inserting little V head because it's Nov 5th )

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast