Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: If you love me then love me

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Perhaps not honest, but more to the point

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Anyway I don't think Roland was a good boy.

Roland would have understood.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Heh heh!! I think hes fairly gentlemanly though - not total badboy material...be nice to find out wouldn't it

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Heh heh!! I think hes fairly gentlemanly though - not total badboy material...be nice to find out wouldn't it
    *nods*

John F. Kennedy mallory is on a distinguished road mallory's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Its perhaps the sweetest and most honest line in this book.
    WHAT HAS A BED BUT NEVER SLEEPS ...

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I love its honesty. It might not be such an original sentence but it sums up Susan's feelings perfectly.
    (Anyway who has time to be original when they are crazy in love with the moment?)

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

I think its a neat line, although not so deeply sentimental for me.

In King's defense, Susan was a young virgin--she was thinking about how 'special' and 'wonderful' making love to the "one" would be, maybe for years now...it wouldn't seem too over the top for her to have this manufactured statement she had been waiting for just the right moment to use.
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RelevantCloud9 View Post
    I understand the feeling behind it but I always feel like it's a selfish thing to say.
    Like saying "you complete me". I understand the feeling when it's said but it just feels like a very selfish thing to say to someone.
    Why is it selfish to say "you comlete me"?
    (Anyway for me this sentence means something else.)

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I admit I didn't really see anything deeper in the line than a polite way of telling him she wanted him to... you know. (Not that they weren't genuinely in love mind...) Not sure what that says about my filthy mind. It's interesting how for all it's sexuality there is a certain innocence to it though.

On reading the posts here though, I think you might be on to something, and the greater implications, taking on responsibility etc rings true.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

i finished my reread of this book. it's still my favorite of the series but i think i liked the relationship between susan and roland a little less this time for some reason. i don't know if it was the mood i was in while i was reading, or the weather, or what.

i hated this line this time. it seemed calculated and trite to me. i actually cringed when i read it and thought "oh god, she did not just say that".

like i said, maybe it was the weather. . . .

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ves'Ka Gan View Post
    In King's defense, Susan was a young virgin--she was thinking about how 'special' and 'wonderful' making love to the "one" would be, maybe for years now...it wouldn't seem too over the top for her to have this manufactured statement she had been waiting for just the right moment to use.
    I agree it definitely sounds prefabricated

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Traveler SaiCmont19 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I've always loved this line for it's simplicity on the surface, but the implications it had underneath.

Does anyone else kind of get mad at Roland in this part of the book for how most of his answers are one sentence or one word long? lol thats always been something that bothered me.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SaiCmont19 View Post
    I've always loved this line for it's simplicity on the surface, but the implications it had underneath.

Does anyone else kind of get mad at Roland in this part of the book for how most of his answers are one sentence or one word long? lol thats always been something that bothered me.

no

The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    I understand the feeling behind it but I always feel like it's a selfish thing to say.
    Like saying "you complete me". I understand the feeling when it's said but it just feels like a very selfish thing to say to someone.
    Why is it selfish to say "you comlete me"?
    (Anyway for me this sentence means something else.)

To me it feels like your putting a lot of pressure on the other person.
    Like your saying their responisible for making you a whole person.
    For some reason that's the same feeling I get when Susan says that line in the book.
    Like she is putting a lot of pressure on him.
    Hm, interesting. If someone tells something similar to me I don't feel it like a pressure. It's a gift.. and I can only hope that I can give it to him.
    But if our paths go to different directions I will say: we are well met. No pain. No harm.
    But we are different.

John F. Kennedy Scar is on a distinguished road Scar's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Why does this simple statement seem to be so deep to me and why do I like it so much? Do you feel the same why?
    I remember when I first read it I was a little girl and I was dreaming about love and about a man a lot (like little girls usually do) who could love me and when I read this very line it became one of my sweetest wishes to be able to tell this sentence to someone.
    I understand where you are coming from and I appreciate the sweetness of it but, I interpreted it a different way; I thought right away that she was saying if you love me, then make love to me. (Actually the way I originally thought it was vulgar.) They were so, so young. Maybe I am too old school, or maybe just too old.

John

Pirate Lover Lee is on a distinguished road Lee's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ive loved this line from the moment I read it. to me, it was a fast and deep love that started with Susan and Roland. This will sound stupid, Im sure, but I felt it when I read it. Im sure we all "feel" something differently or some other part of the series touches us but this was the part that touched me.
    You're going to want it.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ves'Ka Gan View Post
    I agree it definitely sounds prefabricated
    I don't understand you. Susan is not a girl from Oprah show, she is just a cowgirl from a little town of the middle of nowhere. I don't think she cared about love or sex a lot before Roland. (Anyway when she is thinking about Roland she is surprised how much she is into him however she didn't give a damn about the boys who liked her.)
    Cordelia couldn't have convinced her so easily if she had been interested in these things so hard.
    So I can understand if someone doesn't like this statement (it's a bit too sugary) but I don't feel it far-fetched or plannted at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    Why does this simple statement seem to be so deep to me and why do I like it so much? Do you feel the same why?
    I remember when I first read it I was a little girl and I was dreaming about love and about a man a lot (like little girls usually do) who could love me and when I read this very line it became one of my sweetest wishes to be able to tell this sentence to someone.
    I understand where you are coming from and I appreciate the sweetness of it but, I interpreted it a different way; I thought right away that she was saying if you love me, then make love to me. (Actually the way I originally thought it was vulgar.) They were so, so young. Maybe I am too old school, or maybe just too old.

John
    I guess the interpretation depends on how you see Susan and what you think about her. For me she is such a simple girl that I can't imagine her to force anybody to do anything.. I hope it makes some sense. So for me that line is no more than a.. sweet permission and not a call.

But don't mind the way you see it. It's great that our opinions are different.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't understand you. Susan is not a girl from Oprah show <...>
    she sure sounded like one to me at that moment. That's exactly why I don't like that line.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I didn't take as a "make love to me" line. I found it to be very romanic, sweet and a bit profound... kinda like buddhism. "If you are sweeping, then sweep" ie... don't think of the future, the here and now is sweeping this floor.

"If you love me, then love me" ie... Don't worry about the future or any pain this relationship may bring at it's termination. Just love me and let the future take care of itself.

And for the record... in my opinion, this is the worst book in the series.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I don't understand you. Susan is not a girl from Oprah show <...>
    she sure sounded like one to me at that moment. That's exactly why I don't like that line.
    But why? It is such a simple statement. Really. Nice but simple. Why is that so bad? We can't be oh-so-original all the time. Life doesn't work that way.
    So may I know why you think this way?

Country
    Country Flag

I am not talking about originality. I've already tried to explain that the line sounds like a commercial jingle (Time to make the coffee, time to make the donuts. Do the dew. Have a break, have a Kit Kat), or as if a whole shoal of soap opera screenwriters had worked on it to make it so simple and perfect and sweetly profound.

John F. Kennedy Scar is on a distinguished road Scar's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I didn't take as a "make love to me" line. I found it to be very romanic, sweet and a bit profound... kinda like buddhism. "If you are sweeping, then sweep" ie... don't think of the future, the here and now is sweeping this floor.

"If you love me, then love me" ie... Don't worry about the future or any pain this relationship may bring at it's termination. Just love me and let the future take care of itself.

And for the record... in my opinion, this is the worst book in the series.
    Respectfully...Buddhism? Does anyone one else think she didn't mean if you emotionally love me, then physically make love to me? I did not take it as; if you love me then don't fight it.

John.

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm gonna have to agree with everyone that said that it was a sex line... I also felt like she was putting some pressure on Roland too. I wasn't really moved... I think they were horny. That's really it. And don't get me wrong, I do think they she loved him... inasmuch as people that young can really be in love (i'm only 20).. but I just wasn't feeling the love in that.. I mean she was gonna have sex with that Mayor to secure her family's farm so I don't think her purity meant too much to her.. but she just would have rather gave it to Roland.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think both meanings were meant simultaneously.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I think both meanings were meant simultaneously.
    Yes. I agree.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast