Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: A poll to determine King's best book

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

So far, I don't think I have one never read.

However, I started a LOT earlier in than most of you did. As a matter of fact, I'll bet a read a good deal of King before several of you were even born.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

ditto here...

I think I haven't read only some stories that were never included in collections, and Cycle of the Werewolf

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    So far, I don't think I have one never read.

However, I started a LOT earlier in than most of you did. As a matter of fact, I'll bet a read a good deal of King before several of you were even born.
    I started on the King THIS YEAR (unless you count the first time I read The Shining, but I was too high on Kubrick's film to appreciate it on its own terms, and "Night Surf," which is only nine pages long), and all I've read of his this year (other than re-reading The Shining) is EVERYTHING Dark Tower-related except for Desperation and The Regulators--and the latter will be remedied before the year's out.

I HAVE several other books, though, both novels (including some Bachman novels) and collections (though not nearly all of either), and intend to read them all at some point--and I've seen several movies adapted from the King's works. I therefore think I can justify calling myself a "Constant Reader," as I'm already starting to get a feel for his style, and note references to other works in his fiction.

Beauty Effulgent KaLikeAWheel is on a distinguished road KaLikeAWheel's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I, too, have been reading King for a long time. I believe the first one I read immediately upon release was Firestarter in 1980. ::feels old::

Donna

"What can I tell you, baby? I've always been bad."--Spike

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I started reading King when I was 11 or 12 with Cycle of the Werewolf. The Dark Half was the first book I read when it was released. There are probably three of his novels I haven't read. Some of the stories I haven't read but that's because I haven't had access to them, much like many of y'all who read the mainstream stuff. The limited release stuff has gone unread by many of us. Still, I love his work.

Thanks for this Paolo and Aaron. The poll/voting is a great idea, and I'm interested in how it will turn out.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

How long are the appended categories going to be open for taking nominations? Also are more categories going to be added over time, or is it just the ones that have been posted already?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

They will be open for two weeks. And there will be more categories added once they have closed.
    Heng Dai

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

**Aaron posting**

Sorry, I havent been online much for the past couple of days. I will have all of the new voting up today.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hope all is well, Aaron! I was wondering what had happened, good to hear from ya.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, all is well. Just a lot going on this week. I went ahead and did all of the polls that would have went up Monday as well as those that were scheduled for today. So there are ten new ones to discuss and vote on. Bracket #7 will be up on Monday, so that we can resume the planned voting schedule.
    Heng Dai

Country
    Country Flag

All right, the winning books are listed below. For the sake of organization, I didn't post in the threads again, so that we can keep them at the bottom of the page. The first post of each thread has been edited to include each book's final average score.

Bracket 3
    Winner: Different Seasons
    Runner-Up: DT1: The Gunslinger

Bracket 4
    Winner: The Talisman
    Runner-Up: Pet Sematary

Heng Dai

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just wanted to say that with the polls for brackets 5 and 6 closing later today we will have reached a sort of a milestone in the awards: the halfway point of Round 1!

Country
    Country Flag

I have closed all of the polls and will have the full results up later. I can go ahead and say that IT was the Bracket 5 winner, and Drawing of the Three was the runner-up.
    Heng Dai

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8